2006 Burstner Delfin T680

Thurlestone

We are looking at buying our first motor caravan and have come across this van on a Renault semi-auto box. It is priced around £31,000 and I am not sure if at this age it will last us a few years or not, it could make a good starter van but unsure about the Renault as a base vehicle and build quality. I would be very grateful for any information about this model or base vehicle. We have been using a Vanmaster caravan for year round use for the past 12 years and enjoy the quality etc it has given us.

Thanks

David

Guest JudgeMental
That is a lot of money fro a 6 year old van.10K cheaper in Germany. You can get yourself a new Adria Sport van for 35K

It’s difficult to advise usefully on this type of question.

If a 2006 Burstner Delfin T-680 is considered to be a 6-years old Burstner caravan grafted on to a 6-years old Renault Master light-commercial vehicle (LCV), then it’s plain that its age must be taken into account as, generally speaking, neither 6-years old caravans nor 6-years old LCVs have a wonderful reputation for longevity or problem-freedom.

David hasn’t said whether the 2006 vehicle he’s encountered is being sold via a motorhome dealership or privately. In the former case a warranty would be normal: in the latter there’s usually no warranty and the price should take this into account. (If the vehicle is still on its original tyres, then received wisdom is that tyre replacement should take place in the not too distant future.)

There's a private advert here

http://www.motorhomesforsale.co.uk/motorhomes/burstner/burstner-delfin-t680-cs470984.aspx

In August 2004 MMM magazine published a report on a left-hand-drive Delfin T-680, priced then at £39030, that may be helpful. (Link to report below)

http://tinyurl.com/cnq34qw

Although the vehicle might not have the perceived cachet of Burstner, it’s perhaps worth mentioning that a brand-new Ford-based Tribute T-715

http://www.tributemotorhomes.co.uk/index.php/tribute-715

(as reported on in MMM July 2012) should be available for well under £40k with a full 3-years warranty on base-vehicle and conversion. If longevity is of paramount importance (and why should it not be?) then buying new, rather than buying 6-years-old, makes a lot of sense.

Hi Expert and all,

Thanks for your help and links that are useful. The one linked as advertised is the one we are looking at next week. The initial test was very useful and it does tick all our boxes for requirements but we are still a little unsure about buying our first motorhome that is 6 years old. After viewing hopefully we will have a better idea. We originally looked at a Hymer van with this layout but it had gone prior to being able to reach the dealer and this was a 2009 and was £36000, we then looked at an LMC in Nottingham but greatfully gained information from this forum that made us decide not to go along that line. I will post our thoughts later next week.

David

First motorhomes are, to some extent, a bit of an experiment. It is only after you have one that you begin to find out a) what works and what doesn't for you and b) how/where you think you will use it. They offer such freedom that many find themselves embarking for places they'd never originally contemplated. So, if this turns out to be the ideal van for you, you will be somewhat lucky. If it does not, you will want to change it, and, unless you have bought at the right price, that decision will be an expensive one. Even trading a privately bought van will cost you money, but it seems implicit in what you have said so far, that you accept that.

As described, it is a very good van and - always providing the claims made by the seller are all true - it should be in excellent condition.

However, it is clear the seller is seeking to bid up the price by listing the extras and my reaction is that the asking price is too high for the year/model. Odd that mileage isn't, so far as I could find, stated. Around 36,000 would be about fair. Much less means it has spent a lot of time idle, which may spell trouble for mechanical components, especially brakes. Much more would probably only mean it has been well used which, within reason, would be a good thing. However, if over 45,000, I'd find out the cost of a clutch change before beginning to negotiate. You'll need a Renault commercial dealership for the answer, car dealerships generally can't accommodate vans in their workshops. While getting that info, I'd also ask them what they can tell you about the general reliability, in their experience, of this early robotised (if I'm understanding correctly) transmission system. Also, find out whether this engine has a cam belt, or a chain. If the former, find out at what age/mileage it must be changed, and at what cost.

I have no idea by how much the price is OTT, but by well over £1,000 for starters, and probably several more on top. The base was regarded as the best drive of its peers, but is now out of production.

That aside, I echo Derek's cautions regarding age. Burstner generally have a good reputation for build quality, and for their ability to supply spares for out of production models. I would want to look at the condition of the roof, to be sure it hasn't been repaired of damaged, but also to see if that, too, has been cleaned to rid it of algae etc.

Ask the owner to have the V5C log book, ideally the original bill of sale, and all service records and recent bills to hand, and to put water in the fresh water tank, connect gas in the gas locker, and to put the Truma on to heat the water on gas before you arrive, so that you can test the hot and cold water systems are working. Also get him to put on the fridge the night before so that you can see that it works. If the garage has advised there is a cam belt, and replacement should have been carried out ask to see verification that it was, and if replacement is about due factor in the cost.

Look inside all cupboards for signs of damp, especially in areas around where there are external body joints. Your nose should be a good guide as well. Tread as much of the floor as you can feeling for any springy or soft patches. Open, and look and sniff inside all external lockers, and carefully examine the locker doors for signs of damp or sponginess. Look carefully at the washroom for mould and defective seals in corners etc, and especially examine the shower tray for signs of cracking. Open and close all taps, and stick the shower head over the wash basin and try that also. Run hot water through to all the taps, and check that there are no leaks around the taps etc. Light the cooker and observe it working. Switch on all lights and verify they work. You can only ask about the leisure and starter batteries, but if they have recently been changed ask to see receipts, otherwise budget to replace both in a year or two, maybe sooner. In short, make yourself a thorough list of things to check, and work your way methodically down it.

Don't neglect the exterior. Check the vehicle lights all work properly, and that there are no signs of rust. Look at wheels/tyres for signs of damage or neglect and the bodywork for signs of damage. Remember that coachbuilt motorhome body joints rely heavily on sealants to remain waterproof, so examine all seams for cracking or opening up. Open the bonnet and look at the engine bay. See if it looks reasonably clean and tidy, as though someone pays it at least some attention, or whether it is full of dead leaves and spiders indicating that bonnet is rarely opened. Look at any drive belts you can see to gauge whether they are old or relatively fresh, and look at the pulleys to see how badly, if at all, rusted they are. Just visually check the fluid levels, and that they look reasonably clear and there is no scum in the radiator expansion vessel. Check the oil level - it will be black whatever the mileage since its last service, diesels are like that!

If after all that, it still ticks your boxes, negotiate a sensible price, go away, have a think, and then return by arrangement to have a last look around at the things you forgot to check before you pay. Good luck and, if you buy it, happy travels!

Hello David,

We were owners of a 2006 Burstner Delfin on a 3 litre Renault Master which we part exchanged for a Rapido van in 2009. We changed the van because we travel frequently into London and at that time (2008/2009) , because we had upgraded our max. laden weight, it looked like we would be charged and also have to stick to a lower speed limit abroad. Our daughters had also grown up and were less and less likely to travel with us. We decided it was then time to downsize. If there had been a shorter length of Burstner Delfin we would have bought it. We had loved the van and it had been stylish, comfortable and reliable. Unfortunately Burstner did not make such a van and we exchanged for the Rapido which is basically a shorter version of the Burstner.

The Delfin was a lovely van- we met owners abroad who were delighted with their purchase and we were sorry to part with it and unsure if the Rapido would be so good.

I have no idea as to whether the one on sale is good value or not but seeing the increase in the price of new vans over the last couple of years, it is all relative.

Whatever you go for we hope you enjoy.

Susan and Colin

Hi,

As the owner of a Delfin 680 which we have had since October 2004, I can only say how pleased I am with both the Renault element and the Burstner conversion. We have done about 40000 miles over this period, all trouble free. I have air suspension fitted to lift the back end , which is very low for ferry ramps etc. especially with the bikes on the back. I also tow our Twingo on an "A frame" ( I hope that this doesn't start another discussion !) with no problems. Ours is on the 3 Litre nissan engined base. Beautiful to drive and I think economical, although the newer power plants are more frugal. The only negative things which I can mention for special attention :- inspect the joint between the flat part of the roof, where it meets the shaped fiberglass part. Inside, it is a silver plastic moulding and where the cab headining finishes.We have had to have this resealed due to ingress. The clever computerised gadget, which tells you about the content of the water/ waste : check that the sensors are working. Our tells us that the waste tank is full even when it's just been emptied.( especially when going round roundabouts.) Check also if the 'van had the batch of windows in the "recall", We had ours replaced, as they de-laminated due to a manufacturing fault.

In the main, we are suited with what we have. spent the last two months in France testing it out. We have only seen a couple of conversions with which we would swap, but it's horses for courses, or whatever floats your boat, in the end. Hope that this helps you decide one way or the other.

Good luck !

I posted this thread as we were looking for a motorhome with a French bed as out first venture in to motorhoming. We gained a lot of insight from members who posted really useful information. We started looking at an LMC and gained knowledge about the problems with fridge maintenance etc and switched to either a Burstner or Rapido that met our desires. In the end we visited Lowdhams and bought a Knaus Sun Ti which is 4 years old but well cared for and had a number of extras that we appreciated. Thanks to all those that contributed to our thread and helped us enormously. We are now looking forward to selling our caravan and Disco 4 and getting the Knaus.

David

Archived