Asda Parking

mike warland

Asda Parking  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They'll be something to complain about,when due to "inconsiderate" parking,this store decides to stick up a height barrier... *-)

Thats a good point pepe and one that I had not considered.

ips - 2012-07-06 1:36 PM

They'll be something to complain about,when due to "inconsiderate" parking,this store decides to stick up a height barrier... *-)

Thats a good point pepe and one that I had not considered.

Our local ASDA have already done this but have made provisions for drivers of vans to park before the barriers. OK they are at the furthest point from the store but nevertheless the facility is for vans.

I have always found room to park at supermarkets well away from the store, so using a disable parking bay IMO is bad form although at the moment (and I believe it is to change) you weren't committing an offence, all you were doing was covering some paint on some tarmac. For this you were sent an invoice, was that for buying that space, if so that was a cheap plot of land you bought. On the other-hand if the invoice was for the rent of that land, then it should have been for the amount of the supermarket's loss of income. If I sent you an invoice for £50 for something you hadn't bought, would you pay it.

If the answer to that is yes, PM me your address :-D

If you have not looked at the post of AndyC's link above , can I suggests you do and scroll down to the bottom and read the post from poster, Half_Way

I'm not saying what is right or what is wrong, we all have different views;-)

Dave

The OP states that he was "just over the line" well he should have been between the lines as far as the ruling of "all" car parks are concerned therefore like me he did not abide by the rules clearly stated by the landowner and as such agreed to incurr a "charge"

simples

ips - 2012-07-06 3:05 PM

The OP states that he was "just over the line" well he should have been between the lines as far as the ruling of "all" car parks are concerned therefore like me he did not abide by the rules clearly stated by the landowner and as such agreed to incurr a "charge"

simples

To my knowledge there has only been one of these 'parking offences' ever been taken to a Civil Court and been successful, but there were other things that became involved with that case. Even so, the driver was found guilty and he had to pay the costs and the fine. If I remember correctly it was based on what the supermarket's loss was. This was over 5yr ago and happened in Oldham, it was well covered by the Consumer Action Group.

These people rely on frightening people to stump up the £50, they take there expenses out then give the supermarket a cut. But even this is not clear because there are some rules concerning financial transactions that are regulated, don't ask me what they are because I haven't a clue, maybe CliveH knows.

It all comes down to what the supermarket has lost so if the car park is half empty they have lost nothing but have gained a customer (you) The main reason that these private ticketing companies were fetch into our area, were that office people were leaving their cars at the supermarket and commuting into Manchester. Hospitals do the same but put lift up barriers, then you have to pay to get out. Supermarkets cant do that because people won't pay to shop there and will go elsewhere, you don't have much choice at hospitals

Dave

Colin Leake - 2012-07-06 4:32 PM

I like to play it safe when we stop at a supermarket and stay with the motorhome, read the paper and look after the dog whilst the wife does the shopping, and arrangement that suites us both fine!

thats exactly what we do, but without the dog. Lol

When in UK we try to park as far away from main body of vehicles as possible, we can just about fit between the lines, but overhang a grass verge or similar where possible, and have not had any problems, We may otherwise, if large car park, use two spaces lengthwise...on the basis that if they want us to spend our money, then we have to be able to park - maybe they could be persauded to provide some oversize spaces!

Whilst in France at Hypermarkets, we would take a similar view - although often find that once we have found a 'suitable' area, by the time we come back an hour or two later, there are often several other motorhomes there!

What we DO NOT DO is follow the French idea of parking across four or more spaces the 'wrong' way! However, in many Hypermarkets due to either trees or trolley bays we may well need to take more spaces, and so far have simply followed the 'crowd' and not had any problem. We are however very careful of actually where we park from a security point of view, and check at least from a distance several times during our stay there.

Keith T - 2012-07-07 9:26 PM

What we DO NOT DO is follow the French idea of parking across four or more spaces the 'wrong' way! However, in many Hypermarkets due to either trees or trolley bays we may well need to take more spaces, and so far have simply followed the 'crowd' and not had any problem. We are however very careful of actually where we park from a security point of view, and check at least from a distance several times during our stay there.

Don't you have an alarm?

I would say you are less likely to get broken into in French supermarkets, than you are in Uk. RHD vehicles are not easy to "dispose" of over the pond

Re Asda charging. Go to another Supermarket, that does not charge to shop there

PJay - 2012-07-07 10:37 PM

Keith T - 2012-07-07 9:26 PM

Don't you have an alarm?

yes, but a visual check from a distance is always helpful i think, there are often suspicious looking people around!

Just to add my pennies worth - being a newbie to motorhomes I was a bit concerned about supermarket parking. (As a long standing lugger the problem never arose before!) Anyway - I emailed all the major ones and asked about their policy.

Most said they didn't have a policy, but suggested that I spoke to their Customer Service/Security at the individual sites. To date I've done this and have not been refused. Indeed a couple have even been surprised I've asked and thanked me for informing them

Yes it could be considered a bit of a pain doing this - but at least you’re safeguarded.

Archived