Croatia in September

snowie

Been back from northern Spain for a week, and the bad weather has started us thinking about a trip to Croatia for a swimming holiday. I reckon a 4-5 week trip, with 3 weeks split between maybe 3-4 ACSI sites between Rijeka and Zadar. Sea should be nicely warmed up by September.

If anyone can recommend either aire type sites on the way down and back, and or commercial sites with beaches (ACSI preferred on cost grounds) in the area mentioned, we'll be very grateful.

I suppose I'm really looking for the stunning and ones to avoid, which is difficult as you have no idea what we look for in a site, but it's worth a try.

Regards,

alan b

Most campsites in Croatia in or out of Acsi are fine only one I would suggest to avoid is the one at Nin, beatiful location by an actual beach, pleasant walk inti Nin but seriously crappy campsite, loos very poor and showers impossible.

The thing about Croatia is that it doesn't have much in the way of beaches. Loads of coast, but few sandy beaches. It is predominantly rocky, and many of the "beaches" are concrete aprons put down in Yugoslavia days to get the western tourists in.

Off your desire line, at the foot of Istria, is Pula. Interesting little town of Venetian origin with a campsite: Autocamp Stoja, here: N44.85957 E13.81470. It occupies a virtual island that is mainly rocky, but there are a couple of quite nice sandy bits on the neck of the causeway to the mainland. Was good when we visited in '08. Water is generally crystal clear by here, not so good as you work up toward Trieste.

My next two, for sandy beach and interesting towns, would be Trogir and Split, but both are south of Zadar. Trogir has Autokamp Roznac, here: N43.50510 E16.25833. Super little town. Campsite good when we visited, again in '08.

The site near Split is at Stobrec, Autokamp Stobrec, here: N43.50464 E16.52591. Probably the best of the sandy beaches, but the facilities, while fine, weren't quite up to the standard of the other two, again in '08. Stobrec has a small super, and is about 4 miles from Split centre. Bus to Split from near site. Well worth the ride in, fascinating place if you like old stones. Originated as Diocletian's palace and was gradually settled as a town. Bits of the palace are very evident throughout the centre, and the amazing undercroft is open to visit. Standing under 1,000 year old vaults, you have to pinch yourself when you remember they now support the town centre.

I think that some of the best ( sandy ) beaches are on the islands.

A few years back we went onto the island of Rab where there was a very good sandy beach.

We were there in September and the water was very clear and quite warm. Even went swimming before breakfast.

Thanks Brian;

my wife was just suggesting that we may have to go a bit further south! to get sandy beaches. We do have some nifty plastic "slippers", which are also great in communal showers, but they don't protect your knees! (not in the showers of course).

I remember in Greece years ago; being told that sandy beaches aren't "the best" because the water is never crystal clear.

The other issue with Croatian campsites is SIZE! as there are lots of enormous ones, but in September we are thinking they are not likely to be too crowded.

regards

alan b

malc d - 2012-07-10 7:53 PM

I think that some of the best ( sandy ) beaches are on the islands.

A few years back we went onto the island of Rab where there was a very good sandy beach.

We were there in September and the water was very clear and quite warm. Even went swimming before breakfast.

Thanks for that Malc, and Rab is well located in the north.

regards

alan b

Two campsites really stood out when we visited Croatia last May/June/July.

Camping Oaza Mira, Drage just south of Zadar, is an ASCI site, a super terraced campsite very modern, good loos etc and showers, just about all the pitches are level, often gravel and most with a view of the sea through the trees which provide shade for the pitches. The site sits around a lovely bay and in low season the site was great. It does have a large German and Dutch following. It was busy in the ASCI season in mid June and half empty later in July when ASCI should have finished but they extended it. There is access for boats and a an imported sandy beach. There is a short walk around the headland into the village with a rstaurant or two and a shop or two as wll as being close to the Krka National Park, waterfalls and beautiful clear lrivers.

Camping Denka Loviste Peljesac Peninsular reccomended by Andy Stothert has a super location and the welcome by the owner has to be experienced to be believed. We got invited onto the family terrace and after getting his family history and his father's or was it his uncles's experiences in the war fighting with Tito in the mountains, and 2 bottles of ice cold beer each, we booked in an hour later and were then given the prize pitch, 10 yds from the sea over the low wall the single track road and the narrow beach (imported gravel). Five or six boats came in the bay each night to moor, there were some nice walks, a couple of super restaurants not cheap, but the fish and shellfish couldn't have been any fresher.

Oh and Camping Stoja near Pula was almost deserted when we were there, swimming from the rocks was brill and the town is nice, bus from the campsite gates.

Just about anywhere in Croatia you will need beach shoes of some sort and the sea was pleasantly warm by mid July although a little chilly in mid June, I might try and add some photos later

alan

Try...........

Autocamp Slapic near Karlovac (ACSI and CampingCheques). Family run. Friendly. River swimming. We love it!

Autocamp Peros near Zadar (brother and sister team owned and run). Nice pool.

Autocamp Kate at Mlini just south of Dubrovnik (water taxi from here into the old town)

Personally, we did not like Autocamp Stobrec near Split. Found it very noisy with busy road nearby. On plus side, good swimming, staff v friendly and reasonable restaurant

Arthur B-)

arthur49 - 2012-07-11 5:21 PM....................Personally, we did not like Autocamp Stobrec near Split. Found it very noisy with busy road nearby. On plus side, good swimming, staff v friendly and reasonable restaurant

Arthur B-)

Not disagreeing with you Arthur, but you may have been closer to the road than we were. I forgot to say that it is desirable to pitch as far from the Magistrala as possible, because the traffic continues well into the night. This is not particularly noticeable when you arrive, but they did let you pitch where you liked, so no problem moving to a different pitch if you get it wrong. It was not perfect silence, granted, but we did not find it disturbing from where we were.

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-11 5:59 PM

Not disagreeing with you Arthur, but you may have been closer to the road than we were. I forgot to say that it is desirable to pitch as far from the Magistrala as possible, because the traffic continues well into the night. This is not particularly noticeable when you arrive, but they did let you pitch where you liked, so no problem moving to a different pitch if you get it wrong. It was not perfect silence, granted, but we did not find it disturbing from where we were.

Thats alright Brian. We were pushed out towards the road as site busy so we were subjected to the 'race away from the traffic lights'...................... :-( so anyone using this site should probably pitch fairly close to the restaurant which is about as far from the road as you can get from memory

Arthur

arthur49 - 2012-07-11 8:08 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-11 5:59 PM

Not disagreeing with you Arthur, but you may have been closer to the road than we were.

Thats alright Brian. We were pushed out towards the road as site busy so we were subjected to the 'race away from the traffic lights'...................... :-( so anyone using this site should probably pitch fairly close to the restaurant which is about as far from the road as you can get from memory

Arthur

Thanks guys; we avoid being too close to roads these days; after our van was "egged" when camped on a roadside pitch at Robin Hood's Bay!!

Close to the restaurant sounds good.

alan b

• 3 weeks later...

Archived