Autosleeper Duetto wiring

Grey Funnel

The 12 volt circuits on my 1998 Transit based Duetto will now only work off the charger. The 2nd battery is fully charged at 13.6 volts. Autosleepers say that they only have details of the basic under the bonnet circuit that is in my manual and nothing of the rest of the vehicle. Surprised that they do not keep their wiring diagrams after the range is changed .Anyone have a full wiring diagram for this conversion? As the motorhome is off the road at the moment I can not take it to an auto-electrician.

You probably don't need a wiring diagram and possibly don't even need an auto electrician. As your habitation electrics will only work from the on board charger it would suggest that either the main fuse at the leisure battery has failed or the leisure battery has died. Leisure battery is the one on the passenger side under the bonnet, fuses should be close by.

D.

The pos cable from the battery goes to what I assume is a relay on the driver's side, there is a fuse box containing a single fuse (more empty slots) this fuse is OK but the fuse holder does not appear to be live so hence have to check if it is a relay and if ti is duff and as the sun is shining here am about to try my luck. The wiring diagram is only for under bonnet and states that the second battery and it's relay are fitted by Ford !!!

What Dave is suggesting makes sense. It suggests that the leisure battery fuse has blown. This should be within a few inches of the leisure battery + terminal, or even incorporated into it. It may be a line fuse in the + cable from the leisure battery, possibly wrapped in tape. Look closely at the terminal, and along the thick red + cable for anything that might be a fuse carrier.

Alternatively, as it seems you have volts at the battery terminal, but not at the other end of the + cable, might it be that the terminal is corroded, or that the cable has come adrift from a connector?

Thanks to all who offered help but I found the problem, the bonnet hinges are 15mm dia' bar formed into a semi-circle to clear the scuttle. the pos' cable run over the battery to the relay at the drivers side, each time the bonnet was openned and closed the hinge rubbed across it and over the years (I purchased the van this year ) had worn thro' the outer sleve, insulation and cable. the thick paint on the hinge had prevented any shorting out and it was only when I was replacing the intercooler that I had disturbed the cable and lost power so that sometimes when the bonnet was open the cable end would touch and put power back on. Heavy duty soldering and re-routing and everything is OK.

Archived