Halogen ovens

Pete-B

Guest Tracker

If you mean one of these 'ere thingamejiggerybobs -

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=11&gs_id=2z&xhr=t&q=halogen+cooker&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1276&bih=683&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3894670740955776868&sa=X&ei=Uh4DUKmfH6O50QX7xpmpBw&sqi=2&ved=0CHIQ8wIwAg

We have one and it cooks everything brilliantly and retains flavours in meat well. We only use it at home and not in the van because we don't use ehu, it's too greedy on the inverter, and it's too bulky to store and use in the confines of our van - but if you are ehu addicts and have lots of spare storage I reckon it could be ideal for good meals on longer trips away?

ditto Rich, there good at home, the cooked food is delicious and moist, but if youve not got the space and ehu i wouldnt bother...not for a weekend anyway :-D just rough it with the rest of us with 20 min toast etc

(touque in cheek) but wearing tin hat... (lol)

jon

Hi

we use one that we bought for £30 in TJ Hughes before they went bump. It is absolutely super and ideal for doing such dishes as roast chicken whilst we are away. It is much quicker cooking meat than a conventional oven but vegetables do take longer. we normally stay on sites with EHU so no problems with invertors etc. they sell them on the shopping channels, JML particular are always adverting, but you may be to one cheaper on a market, or even car boot. When buying however buy one that has an extender ring included which will increase the capacity of the oven; our 7 litre model is a bit small, if we want to cook a roast dinner, without the additional capacity. they live up to all the hype and we find it absolutely great

Bob

Guest Peter James

I got one for £20 from Poundstretcher.

The heat comes down from the top, so heat distribution is not as good as an oven, but there is a fan so its better than a grill.

Great for grilling sausages etc as its very easy to see them cooking, and very easy to clean the fat that runs out into the glass bowl. But you preferably need to turn them over once during cooking.

Not a must have, but worth having.

I cooked two lamb shanks new spuds and carotts in my new one . Not brilliant yes it was all cooked but the top of the lamb was burnt . Maybe I did something wrong .

Has anyone any reicepies for this as ours didnt come with a book , not sure where to get a book either .

michele - 2012-07-16 10:43 PM

I cooked two lamb shanks new spuds and carotts in my new one . Not brilliant yes it was all cooked but the top of the lamb was burnt . Maybe I did something wrong .

Has anyone any reicepies for this as ours didnt come with a book , not sure where to get a book either .

Michele,

Loads of reicepies on this site http://www.halogenovenrecipes.org.uk/ , did you use an extension ring when you cooked the shanks it helps with joints of meat?

Dave

WE bought one for 29 euros in Carrefour 3 years ago against my wife's wishes as she felt we did not need any oven, and 'we have enough junk etc'. However, she is now a convert and if we had space, it would be in the house. It has top and bottom elements and heats up fast and at 1200 watts only takes 4.5 amps. However, if you open the drop down door it also cools fast so it is a quick in and out job when checking the cooking process. The only downside we have found is cleaning it as the roof inside gets splattered and we do not wish to use water or chemicals as a friend rtried it and the oven did not work again. However, unless you look up inside you cannot see the splatters, so we ignore them.

It is good for when we are travelling as it sits on the step outside the van and plugs into the external socket and you can heat a pie for a quick meal rather than lots of cooking on a hob. It also sits on the hob inside if it is raining.

It is a good idea to check hypermarkets near the end of a season for sales.

Archived