USB gadget charging in your motorhome

Mel B

Whilst having a wander round Ebay I came across this interesting piece of kit. It is a 'USB' socket - like a 12v/mains socket, but it has a USB connection instead so you can use your gadgets' USB leads to charge them rather than having to use their mains chargers (via an inverter if not on hookup) or 12v chargers ... no more having to take lots of different bulky leads with you, just the much smaller USB ones. :-D

USB socket

Be aware that larger items Tablets/Ipads etc, as well as some mobile phones if being used whilst charging (my HTC Desire HD requires a 2 amp charger if being used for sat nav at the time as the GPS function is quite power hungry) that charge from USB need 2 amps to charge.

D.

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks Dave good point! I only really want mine for Blackberry phone and Kindle. but guess the wife might want to charge her IPad as well. So cant use the IPad while charging? or best not to charge at all? Can always use the inverter so not a problem....

Hi

Started reading this thread, got to the second post from the Judge, clicked on the link to eBay, thought what a brilliant gadget to go with the many other gadgets we carry around, ordered it on line whilst looking, then came back to the thread and carried on reading, aaaahhhh read Daves warning about not charging an iPad, or at least very slowly.

Serves me right for being impetuous !

Guest JudgeMental
I think it will charge as long as not using at the time (switched off).......OK for phones and kindles etc...

I use one of the CBE derived USB chargers and they do look neat in with the array of other CBE modular stuff, especially if using square frames (I never was that keen on the 'rounded' frames).

Anyway, just for what it's worth, they do take a few milliamps if hardwired so if left attached to a permanent 12V feed they will nag at your battery over the course of weeks and months. I just use a CBE switch with ours and all is well.

Archived