12v transit dashboard socket

duetto owner

my duetto transit has two 12v socket cigar type sockets one under a dashboard lid which still works ok but the other in the usual place on the front of the dash. packed up while tomtom was plugged in during a trip down the m1 [ first knew about it when tomtom showed low battery charge]

any ideas could it be just a fuse? and if so would it only knock out one 12v socket instead of two.

got to find my manual to locate the fuse box [3 year old duetto].

not very tech minded by the way.

I have a 57 plate Transit and something like this happened to me a while back. It was a fuse in the cigar socket that had blown. I seem to remember that the socket under the lid on top of the dashboard was unaffected.

In the Transit manual the fuse for the cigar lighter is a yellow 20 amp, number 47 and located in the standard relay box. You will find this behind the glove box. Having opened the glove box, press the sides inwards and allow the glove box to pivot downwards.

Hope this helps.

John

Before you start taking anything apart, use another 12v appliance in the socket and if it doesn't work, wiggle it around a bit (the 12v plug that is! :D ) as we've had 12v sockets before which just weren't contacting properly, if that doesn't sort it, then have a read of this thread on the Ford Transit forum.

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98311

A known fault on the Transit - just look at the Transit forum. I had 3 replaced under warranty on mine. The fuse kept blowing as soon as it was used. Strangely it's only the socket nearer the dash that seems to be problematical; the lower one on mine was always OK. Both sockets have separate fuses.

duetto owner - 2012-07-18 10:50 PM

Wirralian

thanks will try that tomorrow.

mel thanks but had already double checked that idea.

mike as for it being a common fault i hope not being just over 3 years will be out of warranty, how much does a new one cost?

All mine were renewed within the warranty period. But it was never fixed properly. After the third new socket I gave up and didn't bother having a fourth fitted even though the vehicle was within the warranty period. My constant complaints to the dealership fell on deaf ears.

Just seems odd to me that a sat nav power supply could blow a 20A fuse. I know they are all different, but mine (Garmin) has a built in 1A fuse. It would need a current exceeding 20A to blow a 20A fuse, meaning over 240W being used. That would be a small heater, not a sat nav!

I think there must be a fault of some sort at the socket. Is it possible the sat nav plug presses the central terminal too far in, causing it to short onto something behind?

Might be worth easing the socket out to have a proper look at it. It is not generally a good idea to just replace fuses when they blow, without investigating what caused the problem. Fuses generally blow for a reason.

Brian could be right as he frequently is but on this occasion I doubt it. I aired my woes on the Ford Transit forum a few years back and it's clear from the other threads on there that this is a common issue that many have failed to resolve. Replacing sockets had zilch effect on mine. My Transit was a Mk 6 and its surprising this known problem hasn't been addressed in relation to the Mk7.

I suggest you raise this issue on the Ford Transit forum (frequented by Ford enthusiasts and technicians)as things might have moved on since my woes began in 2003.

As Brian said, fuses don't just keep blowing, there has to be either a fault or an overload, and a sat nav is not an overload, so that just leaves a fault.

A short on the plug or socket is my guess, more likely the socket as it seems to be a common fault.

I use mine all the time without any problems but I will have a look and see if there is any chance of a short either in the socket or on the back of it.

As an aside, I have always found these plugs and sockets poor, they overheat, have poor connections and some plugs do not fit the socket properly. The German plug/socket is so much better.

H

brian

thanks for your imput, only ever used the socket for tomtom700 and charging the smatphone htc desire.

if your point is correct will be blow a new fuse straight away?

if a new socket is needed does it pull out or is it a job for local ford garage?

[yesterday before we set off down the m1 bought an inverter to use in this socket to recharge our notebook as curries in york were selling for less than half price at £13 its not even out of the box yet, had i tried it yesterday i would have been blaming it in error]

Wirralian

found the transit handbook you are correct says fuse 47 20amp, none of the spare fuses that came in my motorhome pack is a 20amp.

so got to pop out later to locate one, got a horrible feeling brian is right and the socket may be duff as the socket does move about very slightly when plugging in pulling out etc

If the Ford one keeps shorting, maybe simply replace that "Ford" ciggie lighter socket with any of the millions of generic after-market ones....as they are usually a piece of cake to remove/fit?

Hi,
As Brian and Bruce suggests replace the socket and all should be well, the connections at the back of same are also a well known fault, so check carefully and re make/replace when fitting  a new socket,and before replacing the 20A fuse.
Regards,
Brendan

replaced the fuse so far ok test the tomtom and phone both charging ok from the socket, the old fuse was well and truly burnt out, ford garage says sat navs often blow the fuses as they are prone to power surge more than their limit more so the newer ones. also they thought my socket had done well to last 3 years dosnt say a lot for ford 12v sockets.

thanks all for helping a £1.40p fuse has sorted it.

duetto owner - 2012-07-19 4:47 PM...................... ford garage says sat navs often blow the fuses as they are prone to power surge more than their limit ............................

For pure, unadulterated, bovine excrement, that has to be the 2012 winner by a country mile. Do please ask the garage how they can explain the sat nav power surge blowing the 20A fuse while leaving its own (presumed) fuse intact! I think you need to change garages to one that has an electrician who doesn't spend all day sitting on his brain and talking from the same organ! Cheeky pillock! :-D

I don't know how that dash mounted socket comes out, only the one in the lidded tray in front of the steering wheel, from which I run my sat nav (long, ongoing, story) - and that is a real fiddle to release.

duetto owner - 2012-07-19 9:34 AM

brian

thanks for your imput, only ever used the socket for tomtom700 and charging the smatphone htc desire.

if your point is correct will be blow a new fuse straight away?

if a new socket is needed does it pull out or is it a job for local ford garage?

[yesterday before we set off down the m1 bought an inverter to use in this socket to recharge our notebook as curries in york were selling for less than half price at £13 its not even out of the box yet, had i tried it yesterday i would have been blaming it in error]

Was it one of these?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/kensington-33362eu-ultra-portable-150-120-w-power-inverter-00939757-pdt.html

mel

yes that is correct now £13

would this option be ok while on a long journey with net book off have it plug in to recharge the netbook.

also planning to re charge while netbook off when parked up with ignition off as the 12v socket will work for 60 min after engine is off like the radio. it wont flatten the transit battery would it?

Hi'
While driving it is no problem , be careful when engine is not running as the socket may be on a permanent supply, why not use the habitation battery ,if it has a 12v socket, or fit one. The Notebook charging should not normally flatten your battery .
Regards,
Brendan

Archived