Wi-Fi aerials......do they work?

Bulletguy

I'm currently on a site advertised as having "80% WiFi", which I assume the owner means the signal range cover 80% of the site. Fair enough. But though I am less than 30metres from the site owners property, the signal is rubbish and am lucky if I can even get a connection. Signal shows as "very low" at just 1mbs.

The last site I was on had the same...."80% WiFi" and I was situated a good distance away from the Reception, yet got excellent connection and speed every time.

Does anyone use an external WiFi aerial on their van and if so what type and how good are they?

Bulletguy - 2012-07-19 4:37 PM

I'm currently on a site advertised as having "80% WiFi", which I assume the owner means the signal range cover 80% of the site. Fair enough. But though I am less than 30metres from the site owners property, the signal is rubbish and am lucky if I can even get a connection. Signal shows as "very low" at just 1mbs.

The last site I was on had the same...."80% WiFi" and I was situated a good distance away from the Reception, yet got excellent connection and speed every time.

Does anyone use an external WiFi aerial on their van and if so what type and how good are they?

Are you sure that the WiFi " mast " is on the reception building ?

I'm sure you've checked and I only ask because on one or two sites I've been on the mast has been on a toilet block in the middle of the site, and another was on the roof of a chalet, and not on reception.

p.s. did you find any gas ?

malc d - 2012-07-19 4:47 PM

Are you sure that the WiFi " mast " is on the reception building?

I'm sure you've checked and I only ask because on one or two sites I've been on the mast has been on a toilet block in the middle of the site, and another was on the roof of a chalet, and not on reception.

p.s. did you find any gas?

On the roof of his property....I can see it from where i'm parked up...almost count the bolts!

No luck with the gas either as yet. Usually sold at Garages but each I passed yesterday had none at all.

pelmetman - 2012-07-19 5:21 PM

Where are you BG?.............Glad to see you back out and about after your Spanish incident ;-)

Back o' beyond near Ketrzyn about 20 mile from the border of Russia.

Here to see the Führer Bunker and tomorrow is an important day....the anniversary of the failed assassination attempt by Stauffenberg.

Klyne - 2012-07-19 7:40 PM

I use an Alpha signal booster http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUSO36NH-Wireless-Long-Rang-Network/dp/B0035APGP6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342723092&sr=8-3 I find that I can often get site WiFi at teh van rather than going to the bar. I this country it will often pick up BT FON where the netbook WiFi won't.

David

Thanks Dave

May be worth giving it a go. Certainly would be well tested on this C/site anyway! I think the owner either has a rubbish router or aerials which don't work!

Hi,
Must be a very poor signal  aerial on site, booster may of no use if signal is really that poor,,,,
They are good , some very good indeed and some as poor as the aerial on the site, so pick one carefully.
Regards,
Brendan

Hi

Must admit I`ve used the dongle on the end of a usb cable dodge and it works most often. I put it up top of an old fishing pole and cover it with a Plastic bag against the "elements".

3M USB cable costs about a fiver or so?

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the radar again after 'slipping off' the past week or so and see there's another wi-fi thread.

My problem is with site description. Once again this site i'm now on in Hungary is described as "80% wi-fi", so I asked at Reception just how far their signal extends as it's quite a large site. He told me no more than 30ft from the building......so in other words it's more like 1% coverage than 80%. *-)

Other than that, no complaints except here like Slovakia is not cheap. One site I stayed on in Slovakia charged me €15 with electric and it was a very poor site. The showers were a disgrace even though it was an ACSI recommended site and I had it in mind to make a complaint to ACSI......until I left this morning and the guy at Reception who i'd chatted with yesterday shouted "wait a moment, before you go I have something...", and came out with a huge bottle of Slivocica.

At 52% proof it must be Slovakian firewater! :D

Archived