Funny little caravans

nightrider

I have been looking round for a suitable small trailer tent but as yet have not found one, I have seen what I can only describe as a funny little bubble type caravan, 2 berth with the galley accessed from the rear, anyone know what they are called and who deals in them? Due to health issues I had to sell my motorhome but still hanker after the camping way of life, this funny little van would suit me fine its one step up from being under canvas, lightweight and easy to tow with my 1.6 car, any idea's?

Hmmmm..........they look just the sort of thing I'd want to sit in for 24 or 48 hours whilst the rain lashes down outside, whilst not even able to answer the call of nature.

And all that lack of facilities for just.............£5,000 or more!

Each to their own, but if you do want to rough it, then for about 200 quid you can get a VERY good, light, and large, quick-erect tent.

Khyam for example.

Inner permanently inside the outer shell.

Put it up anywhere in literally two minutes.

Tall enough to stand up/walk about in. Large enough for porta-potti. Enough space to sit in proper chairs, cook etc. Packs down really small and in less time than it tales to erect it, for car-boot stowage.

Had one for many years, and have been VERY impressed with it.

And you can reverse with it in your boot.....

Edited to add: this is the actual one I've got, the "screenhouse". Superb piece of kit for two people.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=342&product=Screenhouse

BGD - 2012-07-20 4:41 PM

Hmmmm..........they look just the sort of thing I'd want to sit in for 24 or 48 hours whilst the rain lashes down outside, whilst not even able to answer the call of nature..................

Come on Bruce, enough of this negativity: necessity is the mother of invention. It's got windows, and KOTR is a boy! :-)

Thanks for all the leads you gave me, one of those would suit me down to the ground, just need to find a dealer within about a 100 miles of where I live to check them out, with the use of the awning which we still have from the motor home we can fit it over the back hatch and still have enough living space.

Was sorry to see the motor home go but the fact of the matter was it was not being used as much as it should have been and of course there was the cost of tax, insurence and MOT being used up, a little pod will be much more economical, lets see what I can do?

knight of the road - 2012-07-20 8:06 PM

Thanks for all the leads you gave me, one of those would suit me down to the ground, just need to find a dealer within about a 100 miles of where I live to check them out, with the use of the awning which we still have from the motor home we can fit it over the back hatch and still have enough living space.

Was sorry to see the motor home go but the fact of the matter was it was not being used as much as it should have been and of course there was the cost of tax, insurence and MOT being used up, a little pod will be much more economical, lets see what I can do?

Malc, only a cock stride away from you.

Pendle Group

Chester St.

Accrington

BB5 0SD

Tel. 01254 385991.

If you google them, you can see what they have. then have a look on ebay and Prelove, there are some 2nd hand ones on both sites.

Dave

There's also an article in July edition of the CC magazine for a "Going Cockpit" @ £7.5k, which has more room, height & weighs in at 450Kg MRO, max 750kg MTPLM (GVW) so maybe unbraked.

Imported by Red Loin Caravans in Ormskirk, Lancashire

http://www.rlcaravans.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=87

"Going Cockpit" Brochure download link to left on website.

Have you thought about either a folding caravan or a pop top. The folders tend to be pricier as they are popular but personally i would look at pop tops, as they are more solidly (I think) built. Light in weight and have all the gear. Try searching for Trigano, or Fleurette for pop tops and Gobur for folders.

Guest pelmetman
flicka - 2012-07-20 9:06 PM

"Going Cockpit" Brochure download link to left on website.

Is that a euphemism John? :D...........

There was one just a bit bigger than that but with all mod cons with the rear entrance in a stal in Germany, we were surprised to see a caravan come in but the collector sat talking to the couple they must have been regulars, take a look at German dealers I thought it was lovely and also wouldnt mind at all downsizing to one if needs be.

A thought Malc -

if you really are thinking of buying some sort of ultra-compact caravan.........what a about a folding one?

At least you actually get a bit of space inside it.

Here's an example, only about maybe 500 quid, needs a little bit of fettling, but you can do an awful lot of fettling to tidy it up when it's only cost you that much:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESTEREL-FOLDING-CARAVAN-IN-GOOD-CONDITION-/200795887264?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item2ec05e16a0#ht_2399wt_932

Malc..

This isn't a bad price for one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dandy-Dart-folding-camper-4-berth-can-be-towed-with-VW-camper-/170883470231?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item27c972d397

..even better when you knock 'em down a bit... ;-)

But I suppose still quite a lot,for what amounts to a tent,sitting on a trailer... ;-)

josie gibblebucket - 2012-07-23 4:10 PM

BGD - 2012-07-22 10:22 PM

josie gibblebucket - 2012-07-22 4:02 PM

Here's one for sale

http://tinyurl.com/bowz426

Ten-and-a-half-thousand-pounds. For a trailer with space about half the size of a prison cell?

The world really has gone mad.

Only trying to help :'(

Don't worry. Be happy. ;-)

BGD - 2012-07-23 11:15 AM

A thought Malc -

if you really are thinking of buying some sort of ultra-compact caravan.........what a about a folding one?

At least you actually get a bit of space inside it.

Here's an example, only about maybe 500 quid, needs a little bit of fettling, but you can do an awful lot of fettling to tidy it up when it's only cost you that much:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESTEREL-FOLDING-CARAVAN-IN-GOOD-CONDITION-/200795887264?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item2ec05e16a0#ht_2399wt_932

Bruce,

Something like that would suit me, minor repairs no problem, just a case of locating one?

Archived