For Hobby owners

Gwendolyn

JudgeMental - 2012-07-21 1:42 PM

Kirby & Uzzell have Hobbys ...So perhaps the CCC is right 8-)

It's a far from novel claim that owners of Hobby leisure-vehicles are sometimes refused entry to campsites, though I'm surprised that the UK is cited as a country where this happens.

In France the 'gens du voyage' (travellers) favour large twin-axle caravans, and these are often manufactured by Hobby or Fendt (Hobby's sister brand). A good many French campsites prefer not to have travellers staying there, but prefer not to say this specifically. To avoid being deliberately discriminatory against the traveller community, a campsite will often prohibit entry to twin-axle vehicles, which (by default) helps to exclude travellers. This 'no-twin-axles' prohibition will normally be advertised on the campsite's notice board and, if one browses through The Caravan Club's site-guide for France, it will be evident that a fair number of campsites have a no-twin-axles policy (eg. La Fleche and Florac on Page 302 of the 2012/2013 CC guide).

Most motorhomes have two axles and those with a twin rear-axles configuration have three. Logically, a campsite with a no-twin-axles policy would exclude the former and permit the latter if the policy were to be applied rigidly to motorhomes. However, it has occasionally been reported that UK motorhomes with a twin rear-axles configuration have been refused entry to a French campsite due to the site's no-twin-axles rule. As a fair proportion of UK twin rear-axles motorhomes travelling abroad have been built by Hobby, it may be that the owners of those vehicles have gained the impression that it's the make of motorhome that has caused them to be refused entry to a French campsite rather than the motorhome's twin rear-axles design. Or, of course, it might just be that French campsite owners dislike UK tourists as much as you have said you dislike the French.

I note that you've omitted to mention that robinhood also owns a Hobby motorhome. To avoid the possibility that one of us might be banned from a campsite because we own a Hobby motorhome, it might be wise to disguise the motorhome's origin by suitably modifying its decals. So Brian could use a "B" to alter "Hobby" to "Bobby" and robinhood could use an "R" to produce "Robby". I've got no great need to do this, as I've removed the most visually apparent "Hobby" decal on the front of the overcab roof-section after the decal had been damaged during the last hard UK winter. I guess that, if you owned a Hobby, you could use a "G".

Derek Uzzell - 2012-07-22 8:14 AM

I've got no great need to do this, as I've removed the most visually apparent "Hobby" decal on the front of the overcab roof-section after the decal had been damaged during the last hard UK winter.

Odd, that. Mine did exactly the same. It didn't like standing for some weeks with about 8 inches of snow on it.

As it was under warranty, and went in for a little tweaking, I had it replaced.

BTW, mine now reads "Hoodie", and I have some difficulty getting onto sites, even if I remove the earring and hide the pegs. ;-)

I guess that, if you owned a Hobby, you could use a "G".

(lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Derek your very brave and confrontational from behind your keyboard... Would love to meet you and wipe that smirk of your face. You cant seem to help displaying your jaundiced arrogance, masquerading as humour

Guest JudgeMental
Robinhood - 2012-07-22 9:05 AM

I've got no great need to do this, as I've removed the most visually apparent "Hobby" decal on the front of the overcab roof-section after the decal had been damaged during the last hard UK winter.

Odd, that. Mine did exactly the same. It didn't like standing for some weeks with about 8 inches of snow on it.

As it was under warranty, and went in for a little tweaking, I had it replaced.

BTW, mine now reads "Hoodie", and I have some difficulty getting onto sites, even if I remove the earring and hide the pegs. ;-)

I guess that, if you owned a Hobby, you could use a "G".

(lol)

Hobbys have always had a poor reputation for exterior finish paint etc..

Have never like the interior Teutonic styling myself and faux drinks cabinets etc....

OOOps ! the Gipsies are at it again. And put that Pitbull on a lead or you are off.

I think the 'no twin axle' rule is more because foreign pitches are so small, rather than to disuade Gipsies. Although the rule works on both counts.

Tabbert were another favourite, with loads of large badges, fake leaded light windows, enough cheap chrome to dazzle a Gipsy wedding. What ever happened to them ?? Ray

Oh dear! I wish I had not posted the link now. I just thought that the cautious and nervous postings on the CC discussion pages were amusing. Didn’t want to cause a spat.

Anyway, fwiw, as a Hobby owner too, I consider myself to be in the company of some fine Gentlemen of this Forum.

And, it is partly thanks to you, Judgemental, that we did, finally, buy a Hobby as you gave us very helpful advice back in March re an Adria Twin of a specific year - which we then did not buy.

[And I LIKE the “cocktail cabinet” with its twee blue lights!]

As for altering the name, as suggested above …. well… Mein Hobby, as written on ours, could easily be altered to “ein Hobi” – Welsh for “our hobby” and something I have been tempted to try doing.

Guest JudgeMental

"WOW" what exactly? you have insulted me on a personal level twice in last few weeks..I can assure you in the real world you would not do it a third time

That the Hobby appeal to tinkers, gipsys and and the like is none to surprising really, as they love ostentatious interiors reminiscent of a Parisian whore house....A bit like some on here I fear

You see lots of Tabart, Fendt and the like caravans, down in Spain permanently pitched up....they are quite heavy to tow but a great all round or winter base I would think..

Rayjsj - 2012-07-22 11:27 AM...................I think the 'no twin axle' rule is more because foreign pitches are so small, ....................

Eh? Which parts of foreign have you been visiting? I can't think of any foreign part, offhand, where the pitches are small. The odd site, here and there, maybe, spread across quite a lot of foreign, but nowhere bar an absolute handful that was even remotely tight. You'll be saying they are all noisy, crowded, and full of screaming kids next! :-)

Guest JudgeMental
Mickt - 2012-07-22 12:09 PM

What bought that on , has Dereck ever done anything to you, in view of your remarks it seems that it is YOU who has a problem.

In fact Dereck has help many people out in the past

How about minding minding your own business? I would hardly make the above comments with out what I consider just cause!

JudgeMental - 2012-07-22 11:01 AM

Hobbys have always had a poor reputation for exterior finish paint etc..

Have never like the interior Teutonic styling myself and faux drinks cabinets etc....

....a rather sweeping generalisation M'Lud.

There certainly was a record of poor paintwork finish on a series of (AFAIK, non-white) Hobby bodies, but I would dispute that they " have always had a poor reputation for exterior finish paint etc..".

Indeed, my (fairly wide) experience of motorhoming has indicated that, of the older vans around, Hobbys seem to represent a greater than average proportion.

Now of course, it may be that they have followed the trend of Hymer, with the older models being better built than their modern counterpart (only my opinion, of course ;-) ), but mine seems reasonably solid (as good as any of the 'vans I've had over the years, and better than most).

BTW, mine is a real drinks cabinet, I don't like faux drinks. ;-)

JudgeMental - 2012-07-22 11:36 AM

That the Hobby appeal to tinkers, gipsys and and the like is none to surprising really, as they love ostentatious interiors reminiscent of a Parisian whore house....A bit like some on here I fear

.....if I were to go by your "avatar", it sounds just up your street. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Mickt - 2012-07-22 1:56 PM

YOU HAVE LOST IT

IS IT JUDGE- MENTAL OR JUST MENTAL-JUDGE

Clueless.....You have no idea what this was about so why get involved?

Oh goodness…. “You have no idea what this was about,” says Judgemental.

Well my idea when I started this thread was that it’s about a topic which I thought would be of (mildly) amusing interest to Hobby owners. But I seem, inadvertently, to have hit on old rivalries. And started a spat.

I DO apologise!

Grumpiness? Who could be grumpy on such a glorious summer afternoon [even in wild, wet, West Wales]? We’ve waited long enough…. And Le Tour is in its closing stages, with what is going to be a British victory….. I am nipping in and out of the garden enjoying the sunshine, glass of rose to hand, and keeping an eye on the race….

OK back to beginning…. Hobby owners – you may be diverted by the link I posted. Or not then?

Guest JudgeMental

Sorry Gwendolyn but why are you taking this to heart...I am just fed up with Dereks snide remarks and insults and it has nothing to do with this thread, as it predates it? but he started again here so I reacted that is all....

JudgeMental - 2012-07-22 4:59 PM

Sorry Gwendolyn but why are you taking this to heart...I am just fed up with Dereks snide remarks and insults and it has nothing to do with this thread, as it predates it? but he started again here so I reacted that is all....

Well only because something I started in jest seems to have taken a sour turn.

I am unaware of bad blood between you and ano.

All I know is that you, and others, have been helpful to me in the past, and I had no wish to stir up any animosity.

[And… if I may… on another topic …. I would like some further advice from you? But I may PM you.]

Archived