One for the Editor

I've looked at some of those continental magazines (no not those sort of contental magazines) and not been that impressed. They can't even be bothered to write them in the now universal language. Yes English. And for that matter why do we bother with French, a dying language, at the Olympics?

One has to take into account that all special interest magazines such as those dealing with motorhomes, farm tractors, or hen keeping etc have relatively low circulations and are produced by small teams with the help of free lance contributors, one off contributes and letter writers etc.. Under the circumstances most do an incredibley good job. I do know what I'm talking about here because for many years I wrote on a part time freelance basis for model car racing magazines in the UK the USA and Austrailia. I did it to help promote the sport rather than for the income but for the record I hardly ever made more than £200 in any month.

With MMM. One has to take it for what it is and just read the bits that interest one. We tour in the UK exclusively now so simply don't read the bits relating to foreign travel.

Colin Leake - 2012-08-06 3:40 PM

With MMM. One has to take it for what it is and just read the bits that interest one. We tour in the UK exclusively now so simply don't read the bits relating to foreign travel.

we tour mostly Abroad, so prefer the continental travel items

Horses for courses!!

Interesting comments about Continental magazines, especially their road tests, as compared to MMM (&m PMH for that matter).

My French is useable but not wonderful, and I felt (looking at Camping Car and Le Monde du Camping Car this year) that their road tests & pictures looked as if they'd come straight from the manufacturers' brochures, whereas "ours" (both mags) seemed to have more personal comment.

But I may not have understood everything I read (as often happens on the Forum! :D )

Tony Jones - 2012-08-06 7:27 PM

Interesting comments about Continental magazines, especially their road tests, as compared to MMM (&m PMH for that matter).

My French is useable but not wonderful, and I felt (looking at Camping Car and Le Monde du Camping Car this year) that their road tests & pictures looked as if they'd come straight from the manufacturers' brochures, whereas "ours" (both mags) seemed to have more personal comment.

But I may not have understood everything I read (as often happens on the Forum! :D )

I think you are being a bit too charitable Tony. During the X250 judder debacle there was little or no mention of this in any road tests despite the fact one of MMM's correspondents experienced it himself. The barest reference was made to it latterly,this was due to not upsetting the advertisers. It was a major issue at the time and I experienced it and Fiat's lousy customer service,which was only mentioned on websites like this.

These sites are the future where you can be selective with what you read and receive rapid answers to queries(Q.V.)

I still maintain that the Continental magazines especially the German ones,have a lot more practical content.

I always read with interest what folk have to say about the tests - but normally keep my counsel. However, this one can't pass unchallenged. When the judder problem was at its height, we drove all Sevels backwards up hills if we could find a safe and steep one, and reported the results - and if we couldn't find a hill, we said so. And all the other testers did the same.

There was no cover-up in MMM, and the problem was fully aired in specific articles.

Come on - fair do's!

Brom

Archived