NW Scotland : Site Recommendation

Robinhood

Anyone having stopped at the now-closed Achnahaird site North of Ullapool will understand why it is sorely missed.

After its closure I became aware that the Am Fhuaran bar at Altandhu was allowing overnighting on its car park, and later news indicated that the owners had made a significant investment, and opened a campsite on the coast below the bar.

Reviews all seemed good, so we resolved to visit as part of our rather regular forays to the NW.

Well, though different in character to Achnahaird, what a site it is! (And as there are few sites in this area I can't resist recommending it)

http://www.portabhaigh.co.uk/

Beatifully situated, with direct access to the beach (boaters and canoers take note), with facilities that can only be described as excellent, free wifi, and good value for the area (especially as you don't need to pay for electricity if you don't want it).

The only downside is the somewhat steep access road which would be fine if it weren't "gravelled", leading to a bit of scrabbling on the way out in our (heavily rear-laden, as 3-up this time) FWD van. No problems getting up steadily in first, but might be a bit interesting if wet.

They also do good local seafood in the bar (across the road at the top of the site), but it isn't cheap!

The rumours of the good weather having all gone to Scotland for it's holidays were true, though it broke the day after we left.

(at least it was true for the NW, but not for the Borders, where we stopped off at Melrose for a couple of nights on the way up - the road conditions were "challenging", and I only got a weak smile when I informed the Warden they should have a mooring booked for me :-) When I was directed to a dry pitch, I realised why - many pitches were under 6 inches or more of water, with makeshift duckboard walkways constructed for access to caravans).

The first pic below shows a waterside pitch, the second the view over the Summer isles from above the site.

altandhu1.jpg.138bd40e74e990a7b2e5672b4c52705d.jpg

altandhu2.jpg.76fe26bc7925490a76429c0297464ee1.jpg

That looks fantastic, I've already made a mental note of it for next time we are up there, thanks for the tip :-)

Btw, if you are ever considering ne Scotland, Findochty caravan park is well worth a visit. We were camped on the waters edge, overlooking the Moray Firth, every teatime we watched dolphins swim past. Amazing.

Good clean facilities on site too.

Was there two weeks ago, and went to the local gathering.

Site has indeed good facilties, a bit busy for our liking, but with sites few and far between in this area shouldn't complain to much. Is on the C&CC poi's as posted here some time back that I downloaded.

You need to get a decent PVC for better traction. :D

colin - 2012-07-23 6:47 PM

You need to get a decent PVC for better traction. :D

....when they do one with the space and insulation I want, I'll get one. ;-)

The German couple next to me with a heavy Euramobil caravan (yes really) and a Passat towcar were contemplating the issue of getting off the site if it rained. AFAIK, they had about two inches on Sunday, so they may still be there. :-S

It wasn't over-busy when we were there (as the attached picture will evidence) but there were a few more units by the time we left.

altandhu3.jpg.4784ecf6201c19b911e5045b2b4507f4.jpg

I had my wedding reception there in 1995 in the Am Fuaran bar, great place, Katrina, David and Andrew have done well, overseen still hopefully by the Mother shona. We use to stay down the road at portbeag chalets years ago. Robin, my van is 7.37m long, Im assuming I will scratch the underside going down on to the site?

Andy

andy mccord - 2012-07-24 12:21 PM

Im assuming I will scratch the underside going down on to the site?

Andy

....I doubt it; the access is both wide and reasonably graded at entry and exit to the main drop. It is simply that the hill is steep (possibly 1 in 4 ish) combined with a gravel finish on this section alone (surely a mistake), and a wide sweeping bend at the bottom that prevents an all-out assault.

My 'van is over 6.7m, and was fairly heavily laden this trip (with three bikes behind the rear wheels, for instance), if you can put enough traction down on the front wheels, then there shouldn't be any issue.

I suspect if there were an "insurmountable" issue with exiting the site, there are enough "heavy-duty" vehicles around to provide some assistance.

Archived