2 weeks in Ireland?

We’ve ordered our Tesco vouchers for Irish Ferries as partof a last minute decision to spend a couple of weeks touring the Emerald Isle.

I have a few locations in mind and we will concentratemainly on the western half of the island but....

Where do you think we should go? History, culture andlandscape, rather than beaches or golf!

And what about places to overnight? Some members of ourparty prefer on site showers and toilets , so we go more for campsites thanwild camping.

Has anyone tried Safe Nights Ireland, which sounds a bitlike Brit Stops, perhaps linked with the shower and toilet facilities of aWaterways Ireland Smartcard?

Oh yes, I know that it’s expensive and the ferries are a ripoff so……..no need to tell me that!!

We did join Safe Nights stayed at one sight the owner charged us the same weather we had the card or not, we then found it so easy to wild camp we did that for the rest of the trip.

Sorry not much help to you if you want sites.

Hi,

Yes you can wild camp or use safe nights or campsites,,,,,lots to see and do ,but it is like everything in life it's a personal thing,,,,Contact one major Motorhome Club,,, IMCC,,,,They will make you very welcome and freely give you any advice you may need regarding your question.
They hold regular Rallies most weekends,,,,,there you will be made very welcome and get a taste of Irish Motorhoming,,,,yes please bring rain gear and if you have an inflatable,,,that too. 
Main thing is enjoy,,,,if you have a route planned and I can help in anyway PM me.
Regards,
Brendan

We have booked the ferries plus 2 campsites through the Caravan Club. Out from Cairnryan 13.30 to Larne 13th August. £142.00p. Return Dublin to Holyhead (fastcraft) 14.30 31st August £176.00p for :-

4 nights at Glenross site at Glenbeigh Kerry.

3 nights at Glen of Aherlow at Tipperary

£488.67p

This has been paid,

On top of that, we have our first 2 nights at Glenmore Caravan Park Ballycastle Nr Giants Causeway £36

We then carry on to Co Mayo for 5 nights at Carrowkeel Caravan park Ballyvary, Nr Castlebar,112 euro

Down to the site in Kerry. (Club site paid for)

Then Tipperary. (Club site paid for)

On to Hidden Valley at Rathdrum in Co Wicklow for 4 nights. 112 euro.

So roughly £730 for 3 weeks all on sites with full facilities, but excluding fuel and living costs.

I think anywhere you go in Ireland is History, Castles, Grand Houses, Celtic etc.

Hope this helps.

Dave

John

Ireland is a wonderful country to go and see with great scenery and people. I have read the itinery posted and think that is somewhat ambitious, it is a lot of driving and the roads, in many places, are not that great. Certainly in the west I think averaging 30mph is exceptional.

Some suggestions for you to consider:

For Arran Isles / Cliffs of Moher/ & The Burren stay in Doolin, nagles campsite is excellent, right beside the jetty where you can catch a boat to the islands, site cost about 25€ per night.

Dublin area, Camac Valley on the Naas Road is a really convenient site with good facilities, bus stop outside the door for bus to the city, it takes about 30 minutes. The site is also about 25€ per night.

Wicklow area, south of Dublin but ideal for Glendalough, Avoca ( Ballykissangel) & Powerscourt House there are 2 sites, River Valley & Hidden valley, both superb and again about the same money per night.

West of Ireland then try to visit Achill Island, Galway, Westport & Connemara.There is a great site in Ballina but it is a bit out of the town- a problem with many Irish sites. There are a number of sites in and around Galway/Salthills but they do not, IMHO, offer good value for money. There is also a site in Clifden, again a few miles outside the town but it is not as good as other sites mentioned and take care driving around Cliden as some of the roads in the town are narrow.

There is a lovely site in Leitrim on the river if you are passing through that way

Cannot help with sites in Killarney, Kerry & Cork, all of which are great Counties to visit but are a little bit more expensive than the rest of Ireland.

If you want to go to the north to see the Giants Gauseway there is an excellent site in Bushmills, beside the distillery which is well worth the tour. You may bump into Darren Clark who lives in the area and drinks in Bushmills.

South of Belfast there is a caravan club site near Strangford Loch which is a good base for a couple of days.

In general diesel is cheaper in Ireland but everything else is more expensive. The Guiness is super and the spirits are all doubles but , if you go to the pub, do not go out too early, noone gets to the pub much before 10.30, if not later in the country. If I can be of any more help come back.

Enjoy the craic!

bob

Hi,
That's quite a tour as you are taking in a lot. Be prepared for some very poor road surfaces and hold up's as,road repairs will be in progress in many areas.The main thing is enjoy and meet some fellow Motorhomers as they will love to chat and exchange stories,,,,and of course have a lovely time as you will be made very welcome,
PS, If you need any help  on your trip , ie breakdown help, etc' you can PM and I will give you my No if needed. 
Regards,
Brendan

Hi, John.

You have got plenty of good advice already. Camac Valley, near Dublin is, I agree, a very good site- but it reminds me of lots of the sites in France, you can hear the traffic bombing by on the motorway. Still this is not a real inconvenience. Nearest pub/restraurant is a 15 minute walk in either direction.

Another very good good site is Kilbroney Forest Park in Rostrevor in Nth Ireland, just outside Newry. Lovely scenery, 10 minute walk to Rostrevor town through a very pleasant park.

Certainly Doolin is well worth a visit- local scenery is great, but roads are 'tight'.

Be aware that British gas refills are hard to get south of the border.

Enjoy

Franco

Just come back from 4 wks mainly in the SW. I can confirm that the only thing that is cheaper in Ireland is diesel, works out at about £1.20/litre. The cheaper garages are in unexpected locations so you need to keep your eyes open. Eating out in the evening is expensive, I generally bought a hot meal in a supermarket at around midday and ate in my van. I usually parked up at night in a wild spot as far away from humanity as possible. Easy to do in Ireland, especially in the West where there are few people. The Irish have a relaxed view of wild camping, rather like France 10 years ago. B&B is very expensive and, as far as I could see campsites were few and far between.

Scenery, especially on the coast and in the SW, is magnificent. Ruined castles, monasteries and priories everywhere. Oliver Cromwell has a lot to answer for! Tourist Offices have lots of maps and brochures etc. but a lot of things e.g. megalithic monuments are not shown. You can park at Doolin (pier) and get a ferry across to the Aran Isles or take a boat trip to see the Cliffs of Moher. Further southI took a boat out to the Skelligs (45E) but make sure the weather is settled. There was heavy mist when I went. You can get within a few feet of the Puffins.

theres a really good site in claddaduff 4 miles outside clifden,its basic enough with showers toilets and electric hook ups its in an area of outstanding beauty with its own private sandy beach.omey island is only a stones throw away with easy acess to the other islands.Kylemore Abbey is a short distance as is the national park in Letterfrack [free entry with beautiful walks].There are loads of lively pubs and resturants in Clifden with music nightly.The camp owner is Chris Acton a local chap that will show where to catch fish onsite if i could id take up residence there if i had enough dosh any way enough babble from me enjoy your trip and the roads are not all that bad.

www.actonsbeachsidecamping.com/

regards

wallace m :->

Brilliant, some of this I had, most of it I hadn’t! Thanks everyone.

I would really like to spend some time inDonegal, but am struggling to find any sites north of Sligo. I would at leastlike to see some of the Glenveagh National Park and, if there’s anywhere totake/park a 7.65m MH, Grianán of Aileach, still in Donegal but onlyjust west of Derry.

Any ideas oh wiseones?

Bojitoes - 2012-07-25 12:07 AM

Ireland is a wonderful country to go and see with great scenery and people. I have read the itinery posted and think that is somewhat ambitious, it is a lot of driving and the roads, in many places, are not that great. Certainly in the west I think averaging 30mph is exceptional.

bob

Have to agree even averaging 30 is a bit optimistic we found once you were off the main arterial routes 100 miles in a day was bone shaking hard work.

lennyhb - 2012-07-27 7:28 PM
Bojitoes - 2012-07-25 12:07 AMIreland is a wonderful country to go and see with great scenery and people. I have read the itinery posted and think that is somewhat ambitious, it is a lot of driving and the roads, in many places, are not that great. Certainly in the west I think averaging 30mph is exceptional. bob
Have to agree even averaging 30 is a bit optimistic we found once you were off the main arterial routes 100 miles in a day was bone shaking hard work.

Where exactly is the itinerary that I'm supposed to have posted :-S

WhiteCheyenneMan - 2012-07-27 7:44 PM
lennyhb - 2012-07-27 7:28 PM
Bojitoes - 2012-07-25 12:07 AMIreland is a wonderful country to go and see with great scenery and people. I have read the itinery posted and think that is somewhat ambitious, it is a lot of driving and the roads, in many places, are not that great. Certainly in the west I think averaging 30mph is exceptional. bob

Where exactly is the itinerary that I'm supposed to have posted :-S

You haven't John, I think they are referring to my post fourth one down from your initial post.Just a reminder, and to those who don't know. I was a HGV driver for most of my working life, so distances don't bother me to much ;-) Dave

Archived