Autotrail Miami

Cliffy

Being the owners of an Autotrail we take notice of the different models we see quite sometime ago we saw an Autotrail Miami in a showroom and thought it was the ideal layout for us if/when we want to change ours. Since then we have only everseen one more on the road and there are very few that come up for sale.

Does anyone know why they are so rare?

Was there a problem with them?

Is there any other manufacturer that produce a similar layout?

Thanks in advance

Cliff

I think the reason they are rare is that they were produced as the 'old' Fiat chassis was being replaced by the X250, as the X250's came 'onstream' Autotrail switched over exclusively to them, dropping both Mercedes AND Renault based units (which the Miami is on). Also a new Renault was in the pipeline, but Autotrail have not used it (a shame in my opinion). They obviously 'got a deal' from Fiat by dropping Mercedes and Renault, Autosleeper seem to have done the same, and have dropped Ford and VW based coachbuilts, again a shame, less choice for the Customer.

I was considering a 'Miami S' when I was looking for a van, I liked the '2 single beds model' and the Renault base vehicle, but i was not impressed by the huge overhang behind the rear wheels, and they were quite highly priced (rarity ?). anyway i bought an Autocruise Starburst in the end. (on the older Peugeot base). this was about the time that the X250 was having severe gearbox problems.

Autocruise Miami S , a lovely well layed out van. Ray

Now I remember why we liked the Miami when we first saw it,  it has everything we would look for even now a year or more on.

I think I will keep my eye open for a good example coming on the market ready for next year or may be the following year depending how long it takes me to wrestle the cheque book off the finance manager :-)

Thanks for your help.

Cliff

Hello Cliffy - just spotted your entry--- have been out of uk in my Autotrail Miami. Great motorhome layout, very pleased with Renault base unit, drives like a dream. This is my 4th camper over the years and my first auto trail, previously used autosleepers. My only criticism is that autotrail finish not quite as good as autosleepers, but I cannot beat the miami layout, we like the single beds especially.The overhang is a consideration but I have not had a serious problem in the 5 years I have owned mine. Occasional the steadies touchon awkward slopes or entrances but no big deal. If you can find a clean model you cant go far wrong Best wishes Bob

We also liked this layout but as my OH is a generous 6'2" we found that the single beds were not quite long enough ;-(

Also, we did want a garage so we settled on the 696G and have been more than happy with it. And the bed is a king size!

Good luck in finding a Miami.

BTW, the heating on the one we saw ran on derv which we did not want due to the expense.

Madmaggott - 2012-08-03 7:04 PMWe also liked this layout but as my OH is a generous 6'2" we found that the single beds were not quite long enough ;-(
Also, we did want a garage so we settled on the 696G and have been more than happy with it. And the bed is a king size!
Good luck in finding a Miami.

I have had a look on line and the 696G does look to meet most of our requirements except one of us would have to climb over the other to make a call of nature during the night, which we have to do now but as years advance it may get more frequent and difficult.

Apparently the chassis design was changed on this model at some stage. Anyone know which year that was?

Archived