Auto cruise Stardream

FRANKP60

Morning all.

Can anyone out there give me any good info on an AUTO CRUISE Stardream 2008.Have read MMM on test 2008 ,although plenty of good info ie tester did not like wash basin!!!. There was nothing about fuel consumption. Its a 2.2 LITRE HDI Peugeot Boxer .

We like the Stardream but unfortunately the very long Alko wheelbase prevents us from getting it in our drive.

I never take much notice of what MMM testers say as it is purely subjective! The washroom is not the finest design but you need to try it for size - ie sit on the loo and go through the motions, stand at the sink and shave, stand in the shower and do the movements!

Does mpg really matter unless you do huge miles? Getting the right van is more important in my view?

Our Starlet 2 on the old chassis with 2.2hdi does about 26 to 30 depending on the lead in my boots! I think, but am not sure, there may have been an engine size or bhp (100 or 120 bhp?) choice from new and as the newer engines are allegedly more economical in theory but the van is bigger than ours although the same 3500 kg I would have thought similar mpg is not an unreasonable expectation?

Try it and see but be aware of the huge turning circle of an over 4.0 metre wheelbase.

Frank,

We, like Rich have a Starlet 2, but we looked at several Stardreams during our search, in the end, we prefered the end bathroom rather than the end Lounge (I prefered the Stardream but was out-voted !) I agree that the 'Plastic marble' finish to the washbasin is an 'aquired taste' but the Shower cubicle is big enough and usable. We have found our Starlet to be well put together with lots of clever features. We like the Diesel Eberspacher Heater and hot water system, which is also usable on Electric hook-up, we were away in December last, and kept warm and clean with no problems (inboard fresh water tank). Our MPG is roughly 27 or so, with a 2.2. I just think it is a shame that Swift have discontinued Autocruise coachbuilts, they were very good. My problem now would be finding a suitable replacement, probably be a Bentley when the time comes. Ray

ps. I' ve just read the 2008 test by Di Johnson and realise that the 2008 models no longer had a Diesel heater or an Inboard fresh water tank (evidently ?). still a good van though.

We had the Autocruise Sportstar (@6m & 3500kg) with the Peugeot Euro 4, 2.2litre, 100bhp engine.

Fuel consumption very much in line with Rich (Tracker) although did achieve 32.5mpg on one 350mile haul.

The 2008/9 Stardream model was available with both the Peugeot Euro 4, 2.2litre, 100bhp engine * the Fiat Euro 4, 2.3litre, 130bhp multijet engine, but I wouldn't expect much variation in consumption.

We had the Autocruise Sportstar (@6m & 3500kg) with the Peugeot Euro 4, 2.2litre, 100bhp engine.

Fuel consumption very much in line with Rich (Tracker) although did achieve 32.5mpg on one 350mile haul.

The 2008/9 Stardream model was available with both the Peugeot Euro 4, 2.2litre, 100bhp engine * the Fiat Euro 4, 2.3litre, 130bhp multijet engine, but I wouldn't expect much variation in consumption.

We have a 58 plate Stardream, which we bought with 1800 miles on the clock, 9 months old, and love it. I'd prefer something else to the "granite" finish of the washroom sink but you soon ignore it. The shower is superb and drains well (2 drains) but we fitted a one-way valve in the pipe after they join to stop dirty tank water coming back up when you drive - what WERE they thinking of, not fitting one at the factory.

The cab lights had the usual problem of switching off automatically, as did the radio. We managed to get two matching spots to go in the cab, wired through the panel, and the radio is now wired directly to the habitation electrics.

We've done about 18000 miles now. We don't race but we don't hang about either - we don't like to hold people up so tend to accelerate up to normal road speeds quite briskly. Overall, we expect to see 29-31 MPG on the gauge, which knowing vehicle manufacturers, is probably a little optimistic. Driving consistently above about 60MPH is a killer for MPG but we try not to be in a hurry when we're in the van.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions that you don't want to put on the forum, contact me directly. I'm new here but there's probably some sort of private message system.

Thanks for your post, unfortunately losing battle with wife,it was her who took me twice to look at it then decided no to big.I loved the extra room in van total and especially in rear lounge ,We have Sunseeker 200 with rear lounge van is 6 meter,But on other hand we would have to find at least 18k on top of we get trade in .No point having a van if you cannot afford to go away (abroad).At least now I know what i would get next model up when we win lottery.Thanks again to all replies.

Just a consideration, if anyone is thinking of buying an Autocruise and will be going abroad to warmer climates, although the build quality is very good you will have to hunt around for one that has aircon fitted as standard if you feel that you would be more comfortable with than without it.

Archived