No dogs allowed cl's cs, or sites, any recommendations.

Guest 1footinthegrave

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mel B - 2012-07-29 11:25 PMHere we go again ... you just want to keep on picking a fight for the sake of it despite our constantly trying to make you see what we're on about and our understanding of what you are saying ... nothing anyone says will make you see OUR side of things as you obviously haven't read my post properly .... I can't be bothered to keep trying to get you to actually READ and UNDERSTAND what I've been writing. So yes ... I think you'd better leave it there. :-|

Mel, I admire you for trying for so long on this thread to get the obvious facts about the benefits of dog ownership across to certain humans. Many posts in this thread have upset me so much and are so typical of ignorant humans that I'm fed up and won't be comming back here again and God willing I will never meet any of them anywhere ever in my lifetime. As I've often said maybe we should pity these dog hating humans as their lives will never be complete, they don't know it and they won't admit it, but it's true, pitifull, yet typical examples of the arrogance and evil of humans.  

Guest peter
I don't blame you Losos. I'm joining you as this forum is populated by some pompous and arrogant barstewards. So arivederci one and all.

sshortcircuit - 2012-07-30 10:15 PM

I am afraid Mel adding an emotion behind a snide comment in no way defuses the intent of the comment.

I didn't hide anything behind an emoticon, it was out in the open and obviously a jest ... there wasn't any INTENT in the comment I made ... if you want to think in that way it's up to you, but don't tar everyone else with the same brush and believe that we all have the same blinkered way of thinking as you ... and just to be clear what I have just said was NOT a snide comment ... it is MEANT AS FACT!

... even my dogs understand emoticons!!!

yeti - 2012-07-29 11:25 PM

I'm going on Dragons Den with my new idea-it is putting luminious capsules in dog food,then the crap glows in the dark and you won't step in it. If you think thats barmy you have'nt been reading all of this thread!!

Great idea. Wouldn't need street lights either in some areas! :-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2012-07-30 10:08 PM

Bolly1965 - 2012-07-30 9:17 PM

While it's admirable to admonish someone for not picking up after their pooch - has anyone thanked an owner for being thoughtful enough to carry doggy bags? Thought not...

Thanking everyone I meet who complies with the laws of the land would take up so much of my time every day that I must admit that I don't thank any of them.

;-)

Welcome to.............. Turdistarn......................... :D

Bolly1965 - 2012-07-30 9:17 PM

You may have though that I was being cruel suggesting someone with a phobia gets help - but I meant it. A little bit of help can go a long way - my sister was agorophobic and was housebound for many years. With a little 'help' she is now free to enjoy the world - and boy has she made up for those years stuck indoors. If a phobia is disabling you, you owe it to yourself to ask for help so you can truly enjoy what is only a short time we have here.

Funny isn't it, I understood perfectly what you were saying and agree that it wouldn't do any harm at all for the wife to explore what help is available to her to reduce the obvious impact that her phobia/fear etc is having on her life. Whilst it may not completely remove the difficulties she experiences, there's no doubt that it could be reduced to make her life more enjoyable and less worrying/restrictive. That's not meant to be patronising - I'm just speaking from my own experience of learning to overcome and/or lessen fears/phobias and seeing others do the same, I would now hate to be as I was before and am so glad that I don't allow them to cause me problems like they used to. These are just a few of the 'problems' I used to have (no sniggering at the back :D ).

Spiders: I used to be absolutely terrified, and I do mean terrified, of spiders and any creapy crawlies, I put this down to having earwigs on my pillow when we went on holiday in a static caravan when I was young and the fact that my older siblings thought it was hilarious to frighten me with all sorts of creatures when I was a kid - they even made it so that I was frightened to go on the beach unless I had sandals on as they told me the sand worms would get bite me! As for spiders - I can remember running across the road to my neighbours one day in floods of tears (hubby was out) as I'd walked into a large spiders web in the tenfoot/pathway outside our garden ... I was terrified I'd got a spider running around in my hair. The final straw was when I was out driving on my own and a great big spider suddenly dropped down from the ceiling right in front of me ... I had to pull over and was sobbing like a baby ... it was just plain daft as there's no way the flipping thing could do anything to me and I probably frightened it whitless!!! An old chap passing by saw me and was very concerned as to why I was so upset ... I felt absolutely rediculous telling him why - he understood but even so ... after that I decided enough was enough.

Heights: I also used to be terrible with heights, of any sort, and couldn't go over any bridges/structures where I could see through the pathway, even if it was only a small height, it was terrible at my junior school as our English classroom was on the 4th floor at the top of an 'open plan' type stairwell with full-height glass windows all the way up on 2 sides!!!! How the heck I got to the classroom for each lesson I don't know!!! I was put on a small Ferris wheel with enclosed cages as a child on my own and I can still remember it now, it stopped for some reason when I was at the very top for what seemed like an age and I squatted down on the floor as I was so frightened. In fact most things frightend me as a kid and some even into adulthood, but now I think nothing of going 30ft up a ladder!

Choking: I also used to have a fear that I would choke - this was after nearly choking on a Spangle as a child and my Dad had to hold me upside down to get it out - that's probably why I'm a slow eater nowadays as I don't stuff my mouth with food when I eat and am always the last to finish a meal.

How did I get over these things? I just changed my frame of mind, gradually, so that I 'allowed' myself NOT to be frightened, a bit at a time - it takes time and patience and a lot of strength as it is very, very easy to just say "stuff it, this is too hard" ... but YOU have to keep on with it if YOU want to benefit, no-one else can do it for YOU.

Now I can quite happily be in a room with a spider running around and do the gardening and go under the plants etc where I was sure spiders and creepy crawlies use to lurk just waiting to jump on me, and just get on with what I'm doing. Whilst others around me were content to 'accept' my fears and by doing so to some extent 'enable' me to continue to have them, I wasn't willing to permit myself to be like that anymore, I was fed up of the restrictions they placed on me and decided I'd get shot of them ... and for the most part I have. If I can do it, others can too.

I'm not saying that my way of dealing with things will work for everyone, but if there is any possibility of someone's fears/phobias etc being reduced and therefore their lives to be more enjoyable, then surely it makes sense to at least try to do something about it and not just accept it. :-S

I think this thread was started in the certain knowledge that it would descend into a slanging match. if he REALLY wanted that information, there are plenty of ways to do it (telephone, email etc.). he asks for a list to be given to him, why does he not start compiling a list himself and kindly offer it to others? He probably would not give you the skin from a Rice Pudding.

Members are leaving because of it. I don't blame them as this is the most spiteful motorhome forum on the net. I wish Warners would start an annual fee to be a member. It would get rid of most of the persistently aggressive and snide posters.

I aint going though, I usually only post to lampoon pompous pricks. I am sometimes spoiled for choice on here. :D I would not offer any help to certain members because of their past actions but I will help newcomers as they have not yet caught the OAL virus.

BTW, I have not had anything alcoholic this evening. I am just annoyed at the new low this forum has reached. It is bound to happen without proper moderation on here.

Guest JudgeMental
Lets face it dog owners only now pick up the pooh because they now have to because of legislation....shame the french do not do likewise. The wooded parkland opposite my home that I referred to earlier, was unusable when my children were young, The stench of dog s**te on a warm day (remember them?) was at times overwhelming. The park was a dog toilet nothing more...... A health hazard to children's in particular..So we were deprived of the use of a lovely area 3 metres from our home because of these filthy people.

JudgeMental - 2012-07-31 8:33 AM

Lets face it dog owners only now pick up the pooh because they now have to because of legislation....

That's a very good,yet often over looked,point... ;-)

(..in a similar way that smokers only stopped smoking in resturants etc,and became "considerate",when the law intervened and made them.. *-) )

..although I am tending to agree with 747's view that maybe..just *maybe*?...the thread was started with a little "mischief" in mind..knowing as it would *probably* end in a verbal punch up of sorts... ;-)

Having said that,it WAS going well,until (dog owning?) Peter waded in.... *-)

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-30 11:36 PM

yeti - 2012-07-29 11:25 PM

I'm going on Dragons Den with my new idea-it is putting luminious capsules in dog food,then the crap glows in the dark and you won't step in it. If you think thats barmy you have'nt been reading all of this thread!!

Great idea. Wouldn't need street lights either in some areas! :-)

Oh, it's coming! (To a park near you, soon!).

Now, where's my arrows? ;-)

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Thinking-pink-battle-do-mess-menace/story-16589660-detail/story.html

pepe63 - 2012-07-31 9:22 AM

..although I am tending to agree with 747's view that maybe..just *maybe*?...the thread was started with a little "mischief" in mind..knowing as it would *probably* end in a verbal punch up of sorts... ;-)

What ever his motive was I must say I have to admire ' 1foots' sheer nerve in asking a reasonable question about dog free sites, on this forum.

:-|

peter - 2012-07-30 8:28 PM

euroserv - 2012-07-30 11:52 AM

Perhaps nature could intervene and there could be a new strain of something that kills dogs carried by foxes or rabbits? That would remove the dogs from our public spaces.

I'm surprised that you could even think of saying that Nick. Whether it was tongue in cheek or not.

Peter and Mel,

It does sound horrible doesn't it?

I do not hate dogs. (Cats are something else though). I am horribly allergic to animal fur though and this makes me unlikely to get near them by choice.

Quite simply, because a good 50% or more of the wider dog owning population are less respectful that those assembled here; there exists a problem whether it be lack of training of owners or dogs or just plain ignorance/arrogance when it comes to fouling public places and decorating trees with plastic bags. The bag people are the worst offenders because they are demonstrably aware that they should clean up but cannot be bothered to finish the job.

Anyway.... If an animal is fouling public spaces or runs free and causes distress to animals or people it is not a pet it is vermin. Vermin need to be controlled. I for one am absolutely fed up with it! When I walk along the canal or along pathways I should be able to look around me and enjoy the environment. I should not be constantly watching out for landmines! Something has got to happen, and it must happen soon. I don't care what form it takes. The animals in question are vermin, the owners are scum. Deal with them appropriately.

If the above upsets the responsible owners they are being too sensitive because this is as much their problem as it is mine and they ought to be considering a solution that would not affect them too severely while collectively 'cleaning-up' the dog owner's act, before something really draconian and distasteful is enacted.

Nick

In addition;

Thanks for the insight Mel, but I think your message is somewhat patronising. Spiders are scary but fairly harmless in the UK. Heights are harmless too unless you fall from them, (I have a healthy respect for the ground. This causes far more injuries than heights do.) and this is within your control to prevent. Your fear of choking is also understandable but it is not the food that you have to fear; it is your handling of the food.

Dogs are unpredictable. You do not always know if a dog is well trained, and even well trained ones have fears and phobias of their own. The old addage 'once bitten, twice shy' has never been more appropriate. A fear of random, non communicating beasts with teeth is perfectly tangible. The only thing that would make a victim more comfortable would be for all dogs in public to be muzzled.

Not 'somewhat' patronising. Very patronising actually.

If you had actually fallen from a great height and injured yourself, or been bitten by a venomous spider, you would have had much more difficulty rationalising your own fears.

malc d - 2012-07-31 10:03 AM

...What ever his motive was I must say I have to admire ' 1foots' sheer nerve in asking a reasonable question about dog free sites, on this forum.

Oh I agree...as a general rule of thumb,it's usually best to avoid the wrath of the dog-owning fraternity... ;-)

( ..coz day do wuv dar 'ikkle doggie woggys....yes day do..yes day do..Hooz a good ikkle boy den...?...

Sorry?!! :$ ...I was just trying to see it from "the otherside" and got a litlle carried away......(lol) )

Sorry Nick...(crossed posts)

Yep agree...ignorance,selfishness or just bloody minedness,it still amountts to the same...

Even if by some miracle,the dog excrement issue was addressed(and every owner,cleared up every "deposit"),we'd still have the problem of the, "...I'm away from the road and near field/wood/canal path,so I'll let it run loose...." mindset. *-)

I'm fed up with the damned things being let off the lead,to run loose around by us...resulting it the damned things pushing through our hedge and sniffing around inside our back garden!

(..while the owners half a mile away,on their way back to their car,shoutin' "here boy"..!)...

Keep 'em on a bloody lead and take some lessons and learn how to control the things...

As a dog owner of many years I fully understand the desire for people to camp on non dog sites where there are no doggy land mines either in full view or hidden in the grass.

Just as some people like a bar or club on site, or a play area, or a pool, we are all different in our likes and as it is our own money we are spending I think that gives each of us the right to specify how and where we spend it.

I can relate to Eddie's observations about parks and children as it was a huge problem when our boys were growing up - and that was in semi rural Cornwall not densely populated London - but some things never change.

I can relate to Nick's view too - uncontrolled dog owners, like their dogs, are vermin and need to be controlled - but that too will never happen as it might infringe on the personal liberties of the irresponsible and that would never do - never mind the rest of us and our rights for a land mine free walk.

We almost ran out of doggy bags recently but a trawl through coats, jackets, glovebox, bags & backpacks, etc came up with about 15 of 'em - you can never have too many!!

Now perhaps we can cut out the snide and accusations of snide and try and read postings with an attitude of understanding instead of looking for a reason to fire back, and then discuss the topic like adults - or maybe not??

Despite having had a lovely Springer for 14 years and also being badly bitten but a dog when about 7 years old, I think that this is definitely a thread to sit back and watch ------ but I do have one question?

Why would a dog owner go through the 'nasty' bit of actually picking up the dog waste in a bag and then not do the 'easy' but which is to drop it in the appropriate bin?

Whilst not condoning it, i could 'possibly' see an owner leaving the waste there as it is a mucky business, but to do the hard bit and then just lob the bag into the bushes - whats the point?????

How on earth can you equate a fear of dogs with a fear of spiders ?

If you, or someone you know, has been savaged by a dog, then fear of dogs is quite rational.

Unless you, or someone you know, has been savaged by a spider, fear of spiders is not rational.

No phobia is rational - that's why it's called a phobia.

It is easy enough for anyone without any phobias to be unsympathetic towards those who do or have suffered with them but it is not so easy for those sufferers to overcome the phobia by applying rationality.

I'm lucky, I don't have any, but I do understand and sympathise with those who do.

I don't have any phobias.

I do have a healthy respect for anything that has or might bite me.

I don't like snakes, crocodiles, lions, tigers and of course any dog that might bite me.

I have been bitten as I mentioned earlier, so naturally I am wary when around any dog I do not know.

My wife was attacked by a large alsatian whilst working, this has left her with a phobia and some physical issues.

We both know many dogs locally and they know us, it is not a problem meeting and greeting them.

But when a large and unknown dog runs (off the lead) at us and my grandchildren whilst in our local park I naturally check my pocket for the ultimate deterrent, and will use it if I have to.

What else could I do? Stand back and watch? Sorry, not my style.

H

Why get so upset about posts on here? if you don't like what you read  click on to another topic, it is that simple, I had dogs for many years and loved every minute of it [ almost ] but I would not want one now as  until you are without one you do not realise what a tie they are if you are going to look after them properly. I hate to see dog s**t lying around where  lazy owners won't pick it up, I hate to see  dogs peeing on  other peoples property , but that is what dogs do, I care  not if there are dog free sites, or children free sites, I go where I please ,live and let live I say, as for leaving a forum because of negative posts that you don't like, ridiculous in my opinion.

hallii - 2012-07-31 11:17 AM

But when a large and unknown dog runs (off the lead) at us and my grandchildren whilst in our local park I naturally check my pocket for the ultimate deterrent, and will use it if I have to.

That is common sense and natural protection of your family and has nothing to do with phobias.

I am always wary with any dog - especially my own - around any children even though Rosie is well behaved and has never bitten anyone or anything she is not supposed to.

You just never can tell what will make a dog, or any animal, turn and it is not worth the risk not to be close enough and ready to act if needed, but without showing it of course as we wouldn't want to induce paranoia would we!

Tracker - 2012-07-31 11:48 AM.......................You just never can tell what will make a dog, or any animal, turn and it is not worth the risk not to be close enough and ready to act if needed, but without showing it of course as we wouldn't want to induce paranoia would we!

And that is surely the whole point in a pretty succinct nutshell. Peacemaker Rich: I rather like his style! :-)

What also has to be taken on board is that dogs are individuals, so meeting one friendly, or unfriendly, dog does not mean all dogs will behave in the same way. I was recently "introduced" to an extremely affectionate, quite superb, pedigree, English Bull Terrier. Should I therefore assume all English Bull Terriers have the same temperament? Some time before I had been acquainted with a delightful, hugely characterful, Welsh Border Collie of similar temperament - reportedly afraid of sheep - now sadly dead, and a tear or two were shed on his behalf! A Collie, named Floyd? But, same question.

Different question: how am I to know, on encountering any dog, whether it is like the above, or a nutter? In the case of the Bull Terrier, perhaps easily, because they don't generally indulge in foreplay! In the case of a Border Collie, generally, not until it is behind you, so not so reassuring. They are all different, they are all unknowns on first acquaintance: it impossible to judge the temperament of what is around the corner. There is always that immediate frisson of uncertainty on encountering any of them.

That is what I think the diehard dog lovers fail to recognise. It is not at the level of phobia, it is just a natural, acquired, unease, in the face of a potential threat.

Archived