Hook up lead

Geoff Bell

I have not felt the need to do it for the hook up lead, but if you get a small mains operated relay from say Maplin and wire it so that the normally open contacts have a 12v ignition controlled supply feeding a loud 12v buzzer/siren (again from Maplin) then when the mains hook up is connected the circuit for the buzzer is made but will only operate when ignition is on. Sounds complicated but its not really. I have a slightly similar arrangement to connect vehicle battery to charger when on mains hook up. with a switch to disconnect if required. Hope that helps Peter (^)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest starspirit
A Terry type tool clip is a little springy clip thingymejig wot looks like two figure '2's side by side, but with the second one back to front. It is designed to screw to a wall and then into the small open gap at the front you can plonk any tool (within reason) wot needs hanging up (or down) and there it jolly well hangs until needed. Perhaps one needs to be of a certain age to remember such things like genuine 'Terry', 'Jubilee', 'Footprint', 'Mole', products to name but a few. Any more anyone? Richard

Has I said before, whats easier than checking around the van before moving off, its an easy habit to get into, all these ideas of buzzes and warning lights reminds me of the story of the NASA space agency who spent a million dollers perfecting a biro that would work in zero gravity for the pilots to use, someone asked the Russians how they had coped with this problem and they replied WE USE PENCILS........ Chas

Guest peter
[QUOTE]mike.wittamore - 2006-07-06 12:47 PM Don’t worry about it. I did on my first trip in my new boat at Kalamata Marina in Greece. After you have done it once there is always a good friend around to remind you of it. Mike W[/QUOTE]Likewise, I did it with my old caravan outside my house. All packed up and hooked up to car, all exited to go to Scotland, hit the throttle "BANG" what the hell's that I shout, stop car look around and exclaim "oh no" or words to that effect. I had pulled the door clean off the 'van. So out comes the Superglue and put it back together. I must have done a good job as the dealer that I sold it to didn't notice. Result.

Geoff, You have started something now.... Reading all the replies made me giggle keep it up theres got to be more I of course have none only managed to drive off with the cupboard door open lost one said jar of coffee it had a fight with the wardrobe it lost .The wardrobe didn't do to good either .....of course he blamed me for making his foot push the acclerator men When I married Mr Right I didn't know his name would be always..lol We have also managed the Satalite dish still upand the step still out... Anyone any better michele

[QUOTE]Geoff Bell - 2006-07-02 10:53 PM . . . a small piece of plastic explosive . . . should you try to start the engine and drive off, an electrical chrarge automatically sets the explosive off causing the plugs to disconnect. . . I am carrying out a live experiment to-morrow. Should you hear nothing after today just assume it wasn't sucessful. [/QUOTE] Anyone heard from Geoff since the 3rd ?

hope you are ok take it all did not go well . Still theses computor gadgets they give you in hospital now are great you can even tune into sky . watch one of those caravan outdoor leisure thingys..... hope you get the new MH soon..........lol get well soon keep taking the pills

Just a bit of blast damage to my exposed bits michele, thanks for the concern, should have the MH back on the road soon,still looking for the steering wheel, I think it went into orbit. Have you seen how many viewings I got with this thread. I wonder why? I didn't think hook up leads were so interesting. Any body got a theory?Wonder what the record is. I think I will start a new thread asking the question.

• 1 month later...
jACK , my hubby can beat you . Brand new gave it to the daughter for pony club as you do. little one took a fit missed the turning reversed back up to what he thought was long grass. The grass was a mound of mud witha steel pole in it smashed the whole back left light cluster and caused damage underneath. A very nice man called Peter from pilote came and collected it . :-(

• 6 months later...
See you're back safe jack after blowing up the M/H and the putor .. just looking this was a funny thread . Some would say its like MSM but isn't that the point chit & chat to friendly people ....Does anyone remember the thread about What's the silliest thing that peplehave done whilst out M/homing I cant find it but there's another funny one... the search button wont let me find it ......... *-)

Geoff, Before climbing aboard the aircraft, note the pilot goes around the aircraft to do some basic checks, checking things have been disconnected, doors closed, wings all present and correct etc... I must admit I always walk around the MH - to do a preflight check before starting the engine on the MH, its a good habit to get into, Gas off, Fridge on elect, Habitation electricals off, internal lockers secure. Outside as I walk around it, I try to pull open all doors, windows, flip covers for hookup and water intake are secure. One tip I can recommend, after lowering your corner steadies (assuming you have them), I always place the brace or bar on the footbrake pedal, check the weight is not switching on the brake lights even with ignition off. Regards Terry

Back in the caravan days, I got the van ready on the Thursday night, rushed home on Friday, jumped in to the car pulled away and then BANG! yes the lead was plugged into the garage to keep the fridge cold, ripped the battery cover door right off, luckily that was all the damage. Ask you self this, how many times have you been late to pack up before the midday off site dead line or beat the rush to get off a busy site or even pack up before the looming thunder storm starts, you rush through the jobs needing done then half a milli second before you start to drive you remember the lecky/sat dish/step or even going over the edge of the ramps. Its easy done and the more you camp the more chances you have to get it wrong. Its all been done before and no doubt will be done again, ask my fellow campers how stupid I looked just recently when I drove off the site with my side step still out, I was at least 100 yds out the site before I remembered (whoops) one again no damage done. oorgiz Londons big but Biggars Biggar. (check your map)

I also drape the hookup lead over the drivers side wing mirror. I drove off with it connected on day 2 of ownership back in 97 so went through this learning curver quite early! I also have a tall antenna (5M) which I can put up on the roof for my ham radio. When I do this I put a short pole I use to position it through the steering wheel spokes. My wife tidied up the dashboard before closing the front curtains..... Last week end this was. Outside the camp site are two 3.6 metre clearance bridges........... Work the rest out for yourself!

Thanks Mic from hell eeeeeeeeeeee for resurrecting this old thread, I have overcome the problem of driving off with the hook up still connected, and the solution was staring me in the face. Being a F1 fan I borrowed the idea from the pit stops. I now have a 10' lollipop which I stick in the ground in front of the van which says (HOOK UP CONNECTED) which reminds me before I drive off. So far it has worked. What I can't understand is that nobody has thought of it before. Please send £15.99 preferable in cash for your free lollipop.

Archived