Moselle

John.N

I apologise to Brian for this post and I broadly agree with his sentiments on the other thread. However we are off to France next week and having only a limited time to explore I wish to make the most of my visit to the Moselle valley and we shall probably never be able to go there again. Therefore the choice is either the upper reaches including the Vosges or the lower in France and Germany. I would be very grateful for any members views together with recommended sites and places to visit. Members opinions, however subjective, are invaluable for filling out the bare bones of the guide books.

We recently had a trip to the Mosel Valley our route was as follows Eurotunnel to Charlieville Mezieres 207 miles nice Aire there , through Luxembourg (cheap diesel ) to Trier then towards Cochem and Koblenz , There are plenty of Stellplatz along the Mosel we stopped on a nice one between Trier and Cochem at Witrich 8e pn inc wi-fi , we returned back to Calais via Koln which made a nice round trip. Depending what time you arrive at Calais there is a stopover Aire at Arques very handy @ 3e pn.

Guest JudgeMental

I don't think you need to apologise for anything John.....Most more then capable of organising a holiday/tour I would hope, but Its useful to get a bit of hands on info for a new area. We all do it, and why we use a forum I would think...

Here are some links to past threads re Moselle that I hope you find useful..you will have to seperate the wheat from the chaff :-D

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=Moselle+river&author=&days=&Submit=Search

John.N - 2012-07-29 11:21 AM

I apologise to Brian for this post and I broadly agree with his sentiments on the other thread. ..................

Aaaarrgh! :-) No, please don't! I understand what you are asking and why - besides which you haven't posted one of those open ended queries that defeat me - and even if you had I'm not against them being posted, I just can't cope with, or understand, them! :-D

All I can add by way of response is that Nancy is a really attractive and quite spectacular city with, a decent campsite, (Le Brabois, here: N48.65735 E6.13981) if that is your preference. Not strictly on the Moselle but inside one of its loops. Epinal is also pleasant, though it is years since we went there. The Vosges are fairly heavily wooded, so you tend not to get much in the way of long views unless you get to a bare peak or two, but generally attractive, though it has a long history of industrialisation that leave a few raw edges in places.

Hello,

We are just back from that area. Try to visit Eguisheim in Alsace. Great site 2 mins walk from village centre. Look it up on google, you will be amazed.

We also stayed at a site on the Mosel in Nennig. This was opposite Remich in Luxembourg where there are 9 Garages in 100 meters! Good cycling and walking along the river.

Spa, Nancy and Luxembourg City are all worth a visit on the way down.

Alan

No question, best bit of the Moselle is between Trier and Koblenze, all the best villages in this section. The Vosges, as Brian mentioned are wooded and not mountains in an alpine sense, personally if in this area I would spend time in Alsace and come home via the Vosges. Do not miss, on Moselle, villages of Bernkastle and Cochem. Nice aire at Trittenham next to river 7euro with H/U.

We were at Trittenheim in June for a week. Plenty to see all the way from Trier to Koblenz and very good cycling country. We stayed on a campsite a little closer to the centre of Trittenheim than the stellplatz - well run and comfortable. We came back via Bruges where we spent a night on an adequate site and cycled into the centre. If it is only one trip, I would go for the German part of the Moselle.

Hi John,

If you are serious about seeing the Moselle,and you could not wish to see a nicer place in my opinion, then I really think you miss the trick if you do not take in the Trier to Koblenz section. We have just returned returned from a 6 week tour GermanySwiss/Italy /Austria/Germany again finishing with approx 10 days on the Moselle.I would say any of the Aires are fine as are the sites. Trittenheim,Ensch, St Aldegund.Wintrich are all fine but we always include a stay at a site called---wait for it---HAPPY CAMPING--I know it sounds naff but it really is in the most beautiful spot on the river,directly facing the village of Belstein which is easily reached for a few coppers on a wire tethered ferry. Absolutely beautiful views at sunset and close to Cochem for your retail therapy haha. Fees are very competitive as well.

Suffice to say in my opinion you will not go wrong on the Moselle, have a great trip and keep safe

cheers

derek

There is a small amount of confusion over names here that it may help to clarify.

The river is officially the Mosel in Germany, and the Moselle in France.

Border areas always have a confusion if identity so it may unofficially be Mosel in France or even Moselle in Germany.

However, John indicated he will be in France, and correctly called the river the Moselle, so the references to the Mosel in its lower reaches, between Trier and Koblenz, may not refer to the appropriate area for John.

Regards, your resident pedant. :-)

Hi John

We are currently on an aire at Charmes, not far from Nancy and on a canal that runs parallel to the Moselle.

I can highly recommend this aire - electricity, water, showers and I can get a wifi signal. Also very near town. Plenty of room for large vans too. 6 eruos a night.

Happy travelling.

Paul

Edit: photo of part of the aire taken yesterday.

1813107085_charmes18_001.thumb.JPG.152b156a6d8ed51542ef5e5613b99f5b.JPG

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-02 12:13 PM

There is a small amount of confusion over names here that it may help to clarify.

Border areas always have a confusion if identity so it may unofficially be Mosel in France or even Moselle in Germany.

However, John indicated he will be in France, and correctly called the river the Moselle, so the references to the Mosel in its lower reaches, between Trier and Koblenz, may not refer to the appropriate area for John.

Brian you can be the most helpfull but pedantic b****r I have ever come across. Who the hell cares how you spell it we all know what he means and in any case he did say France or Germany so no confusion.

We were at Charmes on our way South to Annecy, in my opinion you would be going to far out of your way. instead of Trier I would recommend a Stal at Saarburg in Germany in our opinion the stal at Trier is going downhill we werent impressed when we stopped there this year, but the Mossel to-wards Koblenz is perfect for a quiet relaxing holiday, and if you purchase a map of the Mossel bought locally once there it shows all the villages on both sides of the river and all are very cheap ranging from 6 to 8 or 9 euros a night.

rupert123 - 2012-08-02 9:27 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-02 12:13 PM

Brian you can be the most helpfull but pedantic b****r I have ever come across. Who the hell cares how you spell it we all know what he means and in any case he did say France or Germany so no confusion.

I know Henry. :-D

Archived