Tow Bar fused or not?

panagah

Wonder if any one can help.

I purchased a tow bar for the Bessacarr e765p second hand. It is completely dead at the tow hitch and as far up the line I can go.

It is meant to be working, and I have no reason to think it isn't (it was working when taken off the other van).

The fitting is very simple and it's a swift one a few unplugs and replug with the harness. Ive checked it several times and it's deffinately fitted correctly.

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is fused in any way? its an 07 x250 model.

It's completely doing my head in SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT. :D :D :D

Might be stating the obvious here but have you checked your handbook? Maybe the harness link has to be fused for the towbar section before it works and isn't factory fitted-might just need a fuse putting in to activate it.

Mike

Hi

My Ducato X250 has an inspection area at the front under the carpet to allow access to the battery. My 2 main fuses for the towball electric are located there. 1 recently failed and cut the whole electrics to the towball

Sound like a similar thing for you

Good luck

Tony

Not sure if I have misunderstood Brian, but the fuses are part of the Audiable warning signal when the indicators are in operation.

The wires from the towbar are connected to the light wiring loom + the earth, but some pass through the warning relay hence the wires at the front near to the battery which are fused.

Food for thought

Cheers All

Tony

Only that panagh added a second-hand towbar to his van, which I assume was not so equipped when manufactured. If the fuses you refer to relate solely to towbar function, it would seem logical to omit them during manufacture, and to instert them when the towbar electrics were connected. If they are not obvious, a DIY fitter of a second-hand towbar (I assume lacking the full fitting instructions) may not have been aware of them, so would not have checked for their presence. However, it is an assumption.

panagah - 2012-07-31 9:23 AM

Wonder if any one can help.

I purchased a tow bar for the Bessacarr e765p second hand. It is completely dead at the tow hitch and as far up the line I can go.

It is meant to be working, and I have no reason to think it isn't (it was working when taken off the other van).

The fitting is very simple and it's a swift one a few unplugs and replug with the harness. Ive checked it several times and it's deffinately fitted correctly.

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is fused in any way? its an 07 x250 model.

It's completely doing my head in SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT. :D :D :D

I may be mis-understanding you here but surely if you have fitted tthe towbar and electrics why do you not know if it is fused? The normal method is the wires from the, i assume, single socket will run back to the can bus relay and from their to the various lights. The can bus relay is feed by a single wire direct from the battery and this will be fused, the fuse in usual right next to the main vehicle battery usually in the x250 under the passengers feet. The earth has to be good but if you have no feed it must be either the fuse gone or a break in the can bus feed wire.

Thank you for your attempts at help.

Firstly Rupert, yes you do misunderstand. So to KIS I will explain and then add the new issue to the saga.

Firstly, the swift cambus system allows for a fitting of this tow bar very simply. Electrical wise, you unplug a scotch block leaving two. You then plug your new loom in there. You tehn have another two plugs in to a wetfalia unit which are on the loom supplied. The only tricky bit is finding another plug hidden under the rear skirt board, you unplug it and then plug the last bit in from your loom. It's an aftermarket fit that is designed to be added with the minimum of fuss.

I have moved on a bit from there though. I checked all the fuses at teh battery, the only inline fuses are the AMG type (i think thats what there called). They all seem to be working properly, I don't think there is a fuse there that is not working.

Moving it on, I have disconected the earth and found that there is power at the plug. However, when putting the earth back on, the power is not shown on my multimeter. I carried this test out by placing the earth probe in to the earth socket on the plug and placed the live in to each of the other sockets, with teh lights on they all showed to be live. Hold the earth on and the power dissapears on the multimeter. Plug in my aframe and car and there is an indicator that works on teh car and various other things malfunctioning.

Could it be that I am not earthing it out properly? How good an earth is required?

any further thoughts other than call in an autoel££trician

Archived