wifi

derek pringle

p0930 - 2012-08-01 2:50 PM

The answer to this is to buy a Zoom mobile router. Then you simply buy a PAYG dongle in whatever country you are in and then you have your own wifi network on board. It works with any dongle so you are not restricted to a contract . Your kindle, laptop and iPad or any wifi device can be used on it. Up to 250 device at any one time. £55 from Maplins.

Interesting - I'm struggling to understand this technology and what it actually does and does not do (and I suspect that I'm not the only one?)

The Zoom mobile router seems to do the same thing as an unlocked mifi dongle device for broadly similar cost except that, as I see it, you need to plug a wifi dongle into it so you need two gizmos?

The unlocked mifi dongle thingy is just one wireless unit into which any sim can be fitted?

So unless I have misunderstood (quite likely!) where is the advantage in the Zoom please - unless it also acts as a wifi signal booster unrelated to 3G or any other mobile phone signal - in which case I want one if it does?

I am still trying to figure out how to get a wifi signal booster / aerial for an IPad wifi (no 3g capability) ?

The advantage is that the Zoom can be used anywhere as it is not dependant on any one MiFi and as such can be used anywhere in the world where there is a mobile phone signal. It translates the software on what ever dongle you use, therefore you only need to purchase the appropriate dongle. Contracts are not required. Compared to a MIFi it gives home router speeds in the motorhome. As far as I know tethering a mobile phone is costly and does not always work. It also makes you dependant on your supplier providing a signal where you are.

I am only offering a suggestion that works for me and have no intention of entering a debate on the rights and wrongs of any system.

p0930 - 2012-08-02 7:58 AM

The advantage is that the Zoom can be used anywhere as it is not dependant on any one MiFi and as such can be used anywhere in the world where there is a mobile phone signal. It translates the software on what ever dongle you use, therefore you only need to purchase the appropriate dongle. Contracts are not required. Compared to a MIFi it gives home router speeds in the motorhome. As far as I know tethering a mobile phone is costly and does not always work. It also makes you dependant on your supplier providing a signal where you are.

I am only offering a suggestion that works for me and have no intention of entering a debate on the rights and wrongs of any system.

Thanks for the clarification. It is only by asking questions and debating that we all learn something new and it's not about rights and wrongs it's about finding out what works, how well it works and how easy it is to use.

All I'm trying to do is find out what will work to boost a wifi signal with an Ipad - how hard can it be - a lot harder than I expected that's for sure!

lennyhb - 2012-08-02 9:19 PM

The Faculty-x Rocket works with Mac operating systems (need to check version) Then you just need a USB socket to ipad connector about £5.

I spoke to these people at the shows this year and they said then that it would not work with an IPad, and

a fresh email enquiry today has just produced the same response.

Unless you know different?

lennyhb - 2012-08-01 5:54 PM

The only time a Zoom would be of use is if you want to connect more than one device can't see the point of it in a Motorhome, it's easy enough to turn on the Access Point on a smart phone & connect via wireless.

Saw your post about an adaptor for the iPad which was useful, thanks.

However, we run two devices most of the time and, on my phone anyway (HTC Wildfire), turning on the hotspot access point turns off the wifi receiver only allowing you to share the 3g signal.

I guess the premise is that, if you can receice the wifi signal on the phone then you should be able to pick it up on any other device rather than passing it on.

This http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/easier-internet-everywhere-with-bt-fon-motorhome-wifi/ seems to be a great way of harnessing all the FON sites from a reasonable distance and can power multiple devices wirelessly.

Yes, it's expensive but we do require regular access and are away for long periods.

Tracker - 2012-08-03 10:21 AM

lennyhb - 2012-08-02 9:19 PM

The Faculty-x Rocket works with Mac operating systems (need to check version) Then you just need a USB socket to ipad connector about £5.

I spoke to these people at the shows this year and they said then that it would not work with an IPad, and

a fresh email enquiry today has just produced the same response.

Unless you know different?

Out of interest is it the drivers that are not compatible with the ipad operating system or are they saying that because the ipad does not have a USB port?

lennyhb - 2012-08-04 8:27 AM

Out of interest is it the drivers that are not compatible with the ipad operating system or are they saying that because the ipad does not have a USB port?

As far as I know both?

Possibly if the ipad had a usb port a driver could be produced by those who can do these things or if the unique Apple connection port was compatible with usb but I am told that the Apple port does not do or allow the same things that a standard usb does?

Other than that I have no idea why it is proving so difficult or expensive? If a simple unlocked £60 mifi device can connect a 3G phone signal by wifi why can't it also boost any wifi signals it finds?

I feel disinclined to fork out £150 for the wifi Ipad compatible booster as that would go a long way towards getting a new Android or Windows tablet with usb port together with a simple aerial wifi booster.

Archived