wifi

derek pringle

Hi All,

Off to France the end of August for 4 to 5 weeks and whilst away we normally just purchase wifi time from any sites we are on that have the facility. Having just spent most of the last 10 days of our recent 6 week holiday on Stellplatz along the Moselle in Germany where no wifi available I was wondering the cheapest way of taking some wifi facility with us. I enquired about using our mobile as we are on contract but the costs were horrendous. My needs would be purely a small amount of browsing [sites etc] and accessing my e mails.

I would only need the use of this about twice per week and a couple of hours each go.

Thanks for any forthcoming help

cheers

derek

Maccy D's, every time for us!

Just about every single one of their "restaurants" in France has free wifi.

Park close enough and you can sometimes get a signal in-van; or alternatively, go and buy a coffee and then sit in/outside for as long as you want whilst internetting.

Sorted. For free.

There was a posting about a wifi range extender a few days ago, am not able to search for the link at the moment, sorry, perhaps u can, but there was a very glowing report for it. I immediately bought one which has just arrived. I have just connected it (easily) and find that for the first time I am able to use the wifi in my lounge, the signal is showing as excellent, whereas previously it was v.poor (house must have thick walls!).

This is not the same as being on a campsite or MacDs, but the improvement is amazing. It's like the connection is supercharged, whereas it would barely work b4. The one I bought is called Alfa AWUSO36NH, and was about £22 inc postage. There is a link on the posting, I think.

Ir just plugs into the USB port, and has a neat little slide holster you can stick to something. I am extremely pleased, and am sure it will work well on-site etc.

The other option which also works very well for us is the Kindle 3G, which enables you to connect anytime - if of course there is a 3G signal, and there is no charge abroad at all. If no signal but wifi is available, you can use that. We were away a couple of months in France and found it extremely useful to keep in touch with email. Not a full computer but very good for limited applications. Plus you can carry hundreds of books with you, and even just use it on the road, without all the hassle of a laptop.

BGD - 2012-07-31 10:27 AM

Maccy D's, every time for us!

Just about every single one of their "restaurants" in France has free wifi.

Park close enough and you can sometimes get a signal in-van; or alternatively, go and buy a coffee and then sit in/outside for as long as you want whilst internetting.

Sorted. For free.

Not so in Germany though !! we needed to go on TomTom home when we had trouble in Germany!! not one of the 4 we tried were we able to connect! if we had Tmobile at one we would have managed :-S when we went into one and talked to the manager he even tried to connect us with his mobile phone! even that didnt work!

In Germany we found that McDs required you to connect to the landing page where you had to put in a mobile 'phone number. The service would then send you a log in password to the mobile so you could continue. Only problem was it would only accept German mobile numbers.

On the Mosel we did find 1 or 2 S/ps with wifi - 1 was free (Wintrich) but another S/p we were on the price was daylight robbery - but there again on that 1 the cost of a leccy hook up there was also well over the top.

We took a mobile wifi unit ("Mifi") with us on our recent trip to France.

It turns an "adequate" mobile phone signal into an excellent (72Mbps) broadband connection, BUT ours was locked to the UK "3" network. I talked with "3" about roaming,and they gave me some figures (which didn't mean much to me) and said they were partnered in France with Orange Fr.

Trouble was, wherever we tried to use it the connection it made was with Bouygtel, and the cost was astronomical - it ate up £20 of the £30 I'd put onto it in the first evening!

SO ... I'd certainly use it, or one like it, again, but only if I could get it "unlocked," and buy a local SIM card for it.

Although obviously, since it's a PAYG, I'd always use any free facility which was available first!

Sorry if this is not an answer to your question but while in Spain the Wifi on our site was down but one Dutch camper claimed to be connected via their TomTom. I am assuming this was using 3g but I can't find a TomTom with this facility. Has one of us got it wrong. Anyone seen a TomTom with Wifi?

Tea Cup - 2012-07-31 10:20 PM

I have just been advised that the Kindle 3Gis no longer free and unrestricted, sorry if I misled anyone. It's a bit of a b.

It depends which model of Kindle 3G you get - AFAIK you need to buy the Kindle 3G keyboard one - but you MUST double check that it definitely has the free 3G connection abroad just to be safe.

Mel B - 2012-07-31 11:00 PM

I have just been advised that the Kindle 3Gis no longer free and unrestricted, sorry if I misled anyone. It's a bit of a b.

It depends which model of Kindle 3G you get - AFAIK you need to buy the Kindle 3G keyboard one - but you MUST double check that it definitely has the free 3G connection abroad just to be safe.

The attached link shows the Kindle 3g coverage for Europe. Appears to cover most if not all of it. The one time I tried it up here in Wales it was very very slow but I was able to access my Hotmail on it. (my model is the Touch with 3g)

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=3&view=intl

Guest pelmetman

I wondered if they would 8-)...........ours worked fine in France & Spain in May..........crap in the UK *-)......Ours has cracks on the case but I'm not sure whether to return it in case the replacement won't work abroad :-S

Kindle 3G has now been capped at 50MB per month but some users are restricted to viewing the Amazon websites only and no web browser, this is due to hackers developing a patch that allows free unrestricted laptop use with tethered Kindle over the FREE 3 G kindle network. This applies to the Keyboard Kindles

Kindle 3G has now been capped at 50MB per month but some users are restricted to viewing the Amazon websites only and no web browser, this is due to hackers developing a patch that allows free unrestricted laptop use with tethered Kindle over the FREE 3 G kindle network. This applies to the Keyboard Kindles

Guest pelmetman
alf - 2012-08-01 11:09 AM

this is due to hackers developing a patch that allows free unrestricted laptop use with tethered Kindle over the FREE 3 G kindle network. This applies to the Keyboard Kindles

Anybody know where I can get a patch? :D

pelmetman - 2012-08-01 11:47 AM

Try 'Pirates Anonymous' - any pirates trying to give up piracy might let you have their patch for a few pieces of eight - one careful owner, low pirating, aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh Davy lad, shiver me timbers!!

this is due to hackers developing a patch that allows free unrestricted laptop use with tethered Kindle over the FREE 3 G kindle network. This applies to the Keyboard Kindles

Try here

http://www.footseys.co.uk/

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:-) :D

Guest pelmetman
alf - 2012-08-01 1:52 PM

Try here

http://www.footseys.co.uk/

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:-) :D

A patch..............not pouffes!............. :D

Although your right............ there's not many pouffes that are a patch on my pouffes ;-)

The answer to this is to buy a Zoom mobile router. Then you simply buy a PAYG dongle in whatever country you are in and then you have your own wifi network on board. It works with any dongle so you are not restricted to a contract . Your kindle, laptop and iPad or any wifi device can be used on it. Up to 250 device at any one time. £55 from Maplins.

Archived