I'm going to be a criminal on Monday

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I like to live life on the edge :D...................just got back from holiday again, and discovered the tax on my works van has run out 8-)................I have to be in Chelmsford for a 8 am delivery on Monday so 4 am wake up *-).......................

No doubt I'll either be fined or banged up before the day is out :D

.....well, you could always tax it online tonight.

That would remove the possibility of one offence - using an untaxed vehicle.

Technically, you could still be done for a "failure to display", but AIUI, there is currently a 5-day period of grace on this for people who have continually taxed, and applied on line ("it's in the post").

Now, as a tax-disc applied for on-line tonight will start from the 1st of the month, you will have been continually taxed, and, at least for tomorrow, you could probably plead you were within the period of grace when you set off.

Whatever, it would stop the ANPR cameras worrying about you. :-S

Basil - 2012-08-04 7:17 PM

That's not a problem at all. Just go online and purchase your VED and you are covered for 15 days not having to display the new disc.

Bas

AFAIK, it's 15 day's grace for the application (otherwise you are considered not to have continually taxed the vehicle) but only 5 days grace (from the first of the month) on using your vehicle but not displaying (and only as long as you have applied online for the RLF).

Hi Robinhood, I think you will find that the old five day rule has been revised to fifteen days due to the DVLA admitting it can take this long to post out. I have always received mine quicker than that but I read earlier this year that it has been revised to fifteen days but must be showing on the VED database if you are stopped, and it will be from the time your payment is accepted.

Also another alternative is if you have a licensing Post Office in a supermarket near you, if it is the same as our Tesco and Waitrose ones, you can get it tomorrow over the counter!!

Bas

P.S. Pelmetman, no excuses if you are stopped now as two of us have suggested the same thing.

Guest pelmetman
Basil - 2012-08-04 7:34 PM

P.S. Pelmetman, no excuses if you are stopped now as two of us have suggested the same thing.

Spoilsports *-)................I'll deny having internet acess :D

I'd be seriously worried if I was you Dave 8-) ... you haven't taxed or SORN'd it so you don't even have to use it on the road for the b*ggers to get you:

Every vehicle registered in the United Kingdom (UK) must be taxed if used or kept on a public road. If the vehicle is kept off-road it must either be taxed or have a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) in force. If not it could be wheel clamped or removed.

Consequences of not complying .... :-|

What if you don’t tax or make a SORN

If you have not made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) and your vehicle is not taxed, an automatic penalty of £80 will apply. Your vehicle could also be clamped and taken away from you.

There’s no way out

Your vehicle doesn’t need to be seen on the road for an offence to have been committed. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) carries out a check of its records each month to identify untaxed vehicles. DVLA has the authority to carry out enforcement action against you using the information held on its records.

As well as this, DVLA works in partnership with the police and local authorities in operating wheelclamping schemes. Using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) they identify, clamp and tow away untaxed vehicles.

Members of the public can also report an untaxed vehicle online or by calling the national untaxed vehicles telephone hotline.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022059

pelmetman - 2012-08-04 8:17 PM

Mel B - 2012-08-04 8:07 PM

Members of the public can also report an untaxed vehicle online or by calling the national untaxed vehicles telephone hotline.

Is there a reward?.................I could earn a few quid by dobbing myself init :D

Too late Dave.

I already have.

:-|

Hi Robinhood, I think you will find that the old five day rule has been revised to fifteen days due to the DVLA admitting it can take this long to post out. I have always received mine quicker than that but I read earlier this year that it has been revised to fifteen days but must be showing on the VED database if you are stopped, and it will be from the time your payment is accepted.

....still 5 days according to current website.

The 15 days, I'm pretty sure, is the maximum "gap" you can leave before re-taxing. (it could legally be off the road in this period). See potential alignment below.

I'd be seriously worried if I was you Dave 8-) ... you haven't taxed or SORN'd it so you don't even have to use it on the road for the b*ggers to get you:

....not quite so; there is a period of grace on leaving untaxed without SORN (as long as it isn't used on the road in that time) of 13 days (the wording is "less than 14 days").

malc d - 2012-08-04 8:24 PM

Is there a reward?.................I could earn a few quid by dobbing myself init :D

Too late Dave.

I already have.

....timewaster! ;-)

Unless he's had it on the road in the interim, he hasn't commited an offence. (Though I'm assuming, as I suspect all of us are, that it was taxed up to the end of last month (with Dave, one is never quite sure)). ;-)

Whatever, Dave can seriously mitigate any risk by applying online now.

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-08-04 8:43 PM

....still 5 days according to current website.

The 15 days, I'm pretty sure, is the maximum "gap" you can leave before re-taxing. (it could legally be off the road in this period). See potential alignment below.

....not quite so; there is a period of grace on leaving untaxed without SORN (as long as it isn't used on the road in that time) of 13 days (the wording is "less than 14 days").

malc d - 2012-08-04 8:24 PM

Too late Dave.

I already have.

....timewaster! ;-)

Unless he's had it on the road in the interim, he hasn't commited an offence. (Though I'm assuming, as I suspect all of us are, that it was taxed up to the end of last month (with Dave, one is never quite sure)). ;-)

Whatever, Dave can seriously mitigate any risk by applying online now.

Well whats the three way split work out at? :-S.................if its anything like the 11 euro fine for not having a Breathalyzer 8-)...............not worth the effort *-)...............

I could end up with a criminal record 8-)........................but apparently I already have a load of those :-S...........................I guess the Wombles are just for us higher thinkers :D

I taxed my car after SORN when I returned home from Spain, I taxed it on a Saturday morning at the local post office, we then drove down the M27 for about 5 miles and then went to some local out of  town shops, as we parked up an unmarked Police car stopped in front of us and the Officer said to me , " your vehicle is not taxed, " yes it is said I ,I taxed it about an hour ago" on checking the disc he said "OK ,you were picked up by number recognition cameras on the Motorway"all was well, the Policeman explained that my  vehicle could have been impounded at a cost to me of £175  plus £15 per day storage until I produced  my  up to date tax disc or crushed if I did  not produce the disc,plus a fine and penalty points on my licence,Zero tolerance he said. of course as I was  legal  no such thing happened, So if you plan to drive without tax you are  either very Silly or have lots  of money to waste, Choices, choices. 

Guest pelmetman
vindiboy - 2012-08-05 3:51 PM

I taxed my car after SORN when I returned home from Spain, I taxed it on a Saturday morning at the local post office, we then drove down the M27 for about 5 miles and then went to some local out of  town shops, as we parked up an unmarked Police car stopped in front of us and the Officer said to me , " your vehicle is not taxed, " yes it is said I ,I taxed it about an hour ago" on checking the disc he said "OK ,you were picked up by number recognition cameras on the Motorway"all was well, the Policeman explained that my  vehicle could have been impounded at a cost to me of £175  plus £15 per day storage until I produced  my  up to date tax disc or crushed if I did  not produce the disc,plus a fine and penalty points on my licence,Zero tolerance he said. of course as I was  legal  no such thing happened, So if you plan to drive without tax you are  either very Silly or have lots  of money to waste, Choices, choices. 

It got worse *-).............went too tax it online............MOT's run out as well >:-(..........so tried "Quickfit" who advertise 7 day a week MOT's...........not round here they don't........tried ringing Enterprise van rental closed........so phoned my customer to find out which pelmets she needed thinking if they were only small I could chuck em in the car :-S..............found out the ones she wanted I hadn't even made >:-(................Just finished....................the fastest 25 feet of pelmet I've ever made *-)....................ones 173" long........the camper is 165" from overcab to the back window, now got 8" sticking out the back window :D

Oh well...................at least I've got another 455 quids worth of beer tokens B-)

One of the prerequisites for long and frequent holidays is being organised with your regular dues and demands, like insurances, domestic bills, credit cards etc (all paid by direct debit). VED is a little more difficult especially now that SORN is a thorn but by cashing in and re taxing you can get all your vehicles to fall due when you know you will be at home and an MOT can be done at any time to coincide ready for next year.

Simples it ain't but we all had to learn it and I guess that you are learning it now!

Welcome to the club!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2012-08-05 6:44 PM

One of the prerequisites for long and frequent holidays is being organised with your regular dues and demands, like insurances, domestic bills, credit cards etc (all paid by direct debit). VED is a little more difficult especially now that SORN is a thorn but by cashing in and re taxing you can get all your vehicles to fall due when you know you will be at home and an MOT can be done at any time to coincide ready for next year.

Simples it ain't but we all had to learn it and I guess that you are learning it now!

Welcome to the club!

Fair point Rich ;-)..................we have had a record breaking year as far as skiving away in our camper......80 nights so far B-)...........

I too was under the impression that a valid MOT and VED disc were conditions of car / motorhome insurance validity.

However having quickly read all three of our vehicle insurance policies none of them mention VED / Road Tax anywhere - so it seems that it is not a stated condition of insurance cover after all?

Two of them do however mention the vehicle having to be roadworthy as a condition of insurance and the lack of an MOT might well give rise to invalid insurance as it could easily be argued that without an MOT the vehicle cannot be proven to be roadworthy.

That said using an untaxed vehicle is a breach of the law and that alone might be grounds for an insurer to decline a claim due to it being an implied condition of insurance to be legal for use on the public highways.

It seems to be a grey area and one that I have absolutely no intention of ever putting to the test!

Life is complicated enough as it is thanks!!

Guest pelmetman

Oooooooop's :$......................just got back....................whilst sat in the camper twiddling my thumbs at the Boreham services waiting for the interior designer and her fitter to collect the pelmets...............Noticed the MOT sticker..........valid til June 2012 8-)................

They're both booked in for MOT and service now :D....................a bit of a result with the camper though, as we intend to be in the UK July/August when we start long terming, so now the MOT will be due when we are in the UK B-)

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-08-06 1:47 PM

So, next holiday.......Sunny Strangeways :-D :-D

Dave

Twern't my fault guvnor................I trys me best............and I still end up a criminal *-)

pelmetman - 2012-08-06 1:45 PM

Oooooooop's :$............Noticed the MOT sticker..........valid til June 2012 8-)................

8-) ...now FG, WOULD have had a field day!... (lol)

(..a bit suprised you haven't used the excuse that an MP/Banker/"Our betters", have done worse... ;-) )

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2012-08-06 2:11 PM

(..a bit suprised you haven't used the excuse that an MP/Banker/"Our betters", have done worse... ;-) )

Well they have, haven't they.............. ;-)...........least I tried to do the right thing............even if it did back fire *-)...........................I'm only guilty of being an idiot :D.............but that's not a hanging offence........yet 8-)

Archived