tomtom motorhome edition

duetto owner

Its been around for some time now, anyfeed back from anyone who has been usiing one.

rrp is £349 in reviews but tomtom web selling then for £399

going to pop into tesco and halfords to have a look.

need a new tomtom went to weymouth many roads closed, poor sign posts and kept ending back up in weymouth like being on the prisoner, sat nav maps just showed fields instead of roads hopless

[my maps are old though]

I travel to Weymouth once a year and my satnav is a waste of time because of all the new road building for the Olympics. It is funny seeing your vehicle in the middle of nowhere when on the satnav screen.However, I've never had a problem escaping and rely on my map for general directions and road signs for specific directions. Perhaps the Olympic binge is to blame for temporary signage problems?

I can't help on the satnav you ask about.

It may not help but, it is relevant.

We've been using the same TomTom all over Europe since 2006 and when the roads disappear we just apply sense of direction and common sense. Having a map to hand helps - as long as you know where you are and where you want to be.

Even when the thing was new the maps were not up to date and even after applying the 'free' one off map update (not truly free - more like included in the price!) we discovered that the maps were already over a year behind reality.

So don't be conned into thinking that a new device with 'new' maps will solve your issues because I very much doubt that it will?

If the sat nav wants us to use a road that looks a bit iffy to me we ignore it and carry on and only very rarely does it make a lot of difference in distance as the device will happily send you down a cart track if it shows in theory that it is one yard shorter than the main road. Common sense has to apply.

I've got one and we're very pleased with it so far. you just need to enter the length heigth and width of your vehicle you then have the choice of selecting car, caravan or motorhome in the menu and theoretically it's supposed to guide you to the best route and roads. I think like others have said though you have to use a bit of the old grey matter as well. ;-)

PS we found the best deal at the time were Outdoor Bits.

Tracker - 2012-08-07 2:27 PM

We've been using the same TomTom all over Europe since 2006 and when the roads disappear we just apply sense of direction and common sense. Having a map to hand helps - as long as you know where you are and where you want to be.

Agreed, ours is of a similar vintage and sometimes you seem to be sailing off into space but this is only due to a road being replaced by (say) a 'new' bypass or such. A recent trip to Cornwall down the A30 showed this trait but a 'new' carriageway had been added to the road.......no worries, just let it happen.

One thing wont change and that is the location of your start and end points although some roads may have changed slightly.

...............................the device will happily send you down a cart track if it shows in theory that it is one yard shorter than the main road. Common sense has to apply.

Again, agree with Rich that common sense is a very useful tool to add to the Satnav which is another tool.

It might be worth checking that the 'routing' algorithm is set to 'fastest' rather than 'shortest' as this tends to select the major highways and will only ask you to turn down a lane (say) to cut a corner off if it can acheive this faster than the main road.

Again, a quick check on the map will confirm.

thanks for the continued feedback, thats what we normally do. But weymouth [not driven there before got us totally peeded off. Got there ok preston end, then found high street closed and empty apparently due to security there is an olympic sailing race there. had to go to opp end of weymouth using sense of direction a lot of junctions had changed from tomtom maps and were confusing, lack of signposts too not sure if thats security or not.

then set tomtom at the end of the day for southamptom but soon came across more closed roads for repairs so used guess work shortly after tomtom went into green area roads not on map. ended up in weymouth again, 2nd attmpt led us back in a circle to were we started. got frustrated got advice from a van driver how to escape weymouth. nice place just hope road signs come back after the olympic security is over and the roads re open.

any one got a model no. for the TT Motorhome edition , please?

We have a fairly new TT, but it still can take us down some small roads We update ours every year, as we mostly only use it in France/Spain/Portugal.

PJay

It may not help but, it is relevant.

Even when the thing was new the maps were not up to date and even after applying the 'free' one off map update (not truly free - more like included in the price!) we discovered that the maps were already over a year behind reality.

So don't be conned into thinking that a new device with 'new' maps will solve your issues because I very much doubt that it will?

If the sat nav wants us to use a road that looks a bit iffy to me we ignore it and carry on and only very rarely does it make a lot of difference in distance as the device will happily send you down a cart track if it shows in theory that it is one yard shorter than the main road. Common sense has to apply.

I'm with you Tracker that's what I do. Only problem I have is when the sat nav wants me to go one way and the wife wants me to go another! This is the opposite of a win win situation. We allway carry a reasonably up to date atlas as well as the sat nav.

I can't remember if it's in Portsmouth or Plymouth but in one of the two if you do get lost you'll never escape as it seems all roads and signs lead to the Mary Rose!

thinking about keeping my old one. ONLY TT &Amazon seem to sell the camper edition and at a rip off price too compared to other tomtoms

went round the stores

first call halfords - hopless.

staff the girl on the till put out twice on the internal com for some one to come over no one appeared, i saw a staff member loitering in an aisle he reluctantly came back to the tt cabenit with me knew nothing about camper version, said all of them have life time map updates, pointed out that was wrong he then said they are updated by users, i said can they update a new motorway he said no and that new map updates are no good as they are too big for tt hard drives.

gave up on this hopless case

went to maplins

asked again about camper edition all the assistant could say "whats in the cabnet" gave up on him too again unintrested and gave same answer to every question.

off to tesco

the staff member although he tried hard to help he had disbility with his voice and communication was hard i got the impressionthey did not sell or know about it.

whats wrong with shops these days with all the out of work they should be able to cherry pick enthusiastic staff how do halfords & maplin employed lazy unintrested people is beyond me. only tesco had a helpful staff member.

Archived