Aires in Belgium

Gwendolyn

Anyone used the Aires at Mechelen, Leuven and Antwerp? Are they OK [pleasant I mean]? Easy walk to centres? Or bike rides?

I note that the details for Louvain state “passer la nuit tolérée” and that there are no services. What does that mean in practice? Unsuitable?

Sorry if these queries are too simplistic for some of you – Aire novices are we!!!

Gwendolyn - 2012-08-08 11:36 AM

Anyone used the Aires at Mechelen, Leuven and Antwerp? Are they OK [pleasant I mean]? Easy walk to centres? Or bike rides?

I note that the details for Louvain state “passer la nuit tolérée” and that there are no services. What does that mean in practice? Unsuitable?

Sorry if these queries are too simplistic for some of you – Aire novices are we!!!

You find quite a lot of these places, where you are welcome to stay the night free but have no water etc;

ask away Gwen :-D I do, we havent used many Aires/Stals in Belgium we usually pass straight through a shame probably as Im sure they will be some nice places to see, we stayed at Ypres on a campsite and that is a lovely place.

But I would always have a look around and see if it looks safe Im not one for staying on our own Im always relieved when I see another van come in.

...I'm not sure what sources (other than this :-) ) you're using for any research, but (though personal recommendation is usually best), I find a combination of http://www.campingcar-infos.com , and viewing the location on Google Maps/Earth gives a good starter for exercising your own prejudices. ;-)

The website, once you've come to grips with navigation, provides photos and/or reviews of many Aires (and their equivalents in other countries), albeit that sometimes translation of the reviews may be required.

The location is also made obvious, so Google Maps, and in many countries, Streetview, can be used to "check out" locations.

I can't find an Aire at Leuven, but the one I can find at Mechelen appears to be an inner-city sportscentre carpark, under the ringroad, that tolerates overnight parking. See here:

http://goo.gl/maps/nqWhQ

....not exactly my idea of attractive. :-S

One of the Aires in Antwerp (at Vogelzanglaan) looks somewhat more attractive for location, but the reviews (on a brief translation) are mixed. See here:

http://goo.gl/maps/9R4xr

TBH, if you're new to aires, then big town/city locations are generally unlikely to give you a good first impression. Though I prefer to realx on a campsite, if we are journeying and simply want an overnight stop, then "aires" are fine, and we've found some very acceptable ones in more rural or provincial locations.

I am using this site: www.bipa.be

The site gives aerial views - and they do not look at all inviting in the towns I've mentioned! Which is why I asked if anyone has first hand experience of them.

While not wishing to ignite another Aires v Campsites argument, I have to say that we do prefer sites - relaxing, chairs out and so on - but I haven't yet managed to find any sites close enough to those towns to enable us to stroll / cycle in.

I can see that we'll end up just using the Aires for day parking in order to explore, and finding sites elsewhere.

It's only a whim anyway! We have stayed in Brussels / Bruges and visited Ypres many times on hotel breaks, but I once saw a travel doc [Welsh programme] about either Leuven or Mechelen [forget which] and I’ve always wanted to visit either / both places since.

Archived