CBE Battery Charger question

Rowan Lee

I took the cover off our CBE battery charger to check the position of the lead acid/gel switch. This is another question! However, I noticed that the little fan on the top was not working when I hooked up to the mains. Should it work all the time, or is it thermostatically controlled? I read the book but it is no help.

Derek,

Our battery is no longer holding its charge. We have had the van second hand since 2009 and it has been fine until recently and we do have a solar panel. I looked at the battery when we first got the van - it's a maintenance free Dynac 95ah. I have not looked at it since, until last weekend (it is in a separate locker in the skirt). I was unsure whether "maintenance free" meant gel, so I then checked the charger and found that it is set to gel. However, I am pretty certain now that the battery is lead acid and the charger is incorrectly set. I can also see from the screw holes in the floor of the locker that this is the second battery to have been fitted, so maybe the first was gel, or maybe it's been wrong from the start and that is why they haven't lasted quite so long, although I am not complaining - three years hard use can't be bad if it's been on the wrong charging regime and it hasn't blown up! Having investigated the price of gel batteries, I have decided to go for another lead acid maintenance free and change the setting on the charger, having read the book once again to make sure I know which way is which on the switch! Our local caravan shop has Easy Start Diamond Leisure batteries in at 110ah which will fit in the locker. I need the maintenance free because access to the top of the battery is not possible without removing it from the locker.

It gets harder to make decisions!

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now.

Archived