Diesel Prices in France / Belgium

Bojitoes

Hi

We have just booked Dover /Dunkirk ferry for end of the month as we head to the Rhine area for a few weeks. Intention is to get to Luxembourg and fill up with cheaper diesel en route, better half tells me that according to papers diesel is now more expensive in France than UK, so best to fill up tank in Birmingham to get all the way to Luxembourg rather than top up in France. Does anyone know current prices for diesel in Leclerc's / Carrefour etc?

Not having been to Germany before what are the supermarkets there, same names as in france or different?

Thanks for help as always

Bob

http://www.prix-carburants.economie.gouv.fr/ this is usually the most up to date for price of diesl in France , 3 weeks ago in France diesel at the major supermarkets was on av 1.296e pltr  so with an exchange rate with my Nationwide credit card of 1.26e = £1 a whole lot cheaper than th UK.Checking the link I notice diesel has gone up about 10 cents pltr to 1.389e pltr.

I've just come back from Belgium, which also meant venturing into France. There's far more fuel price competition over there compared to here, and Belgium at its lowest was a fraction under 1.4, but the highest we saw was a hefty 1.58.

France in between Calais and Belgium was usually approaching 1.6, but that was on the motorways. That's still cheaper than the UK, but certainly the price gap has narrowed.

Shaun

Bojitoes - 2012-08-13 11:59 AM

Hi

We have just booked Dover /Dunkirk ferry for end of the month as we head to the Rhine area for a few weeks. Intention is to get to Luxembourg and fill up with cheaper diesel en route, better half tells me that according to papers diesel is now more expensive in France than UK, so best to fill up tank in Birmingham to get all the way to Luxembourg rather than top up in France. Does anyone know current prices for diesel in Leclerc's / Carrefour etc?

Not having been to Germany before what are the supermarkets there, same names as in france or different?

Thanks for help as always

Bob

Afraid you will find very little difference in diesel prices between UK and Germany. Some pump prices are even more.......Germany is not a cheap country to travel.

Kaufland is a big Supermarket chain and very good too, but there are also lots of Lidl's which are well stocked and excellent (unlike those in the UK).

Luxembourg is the cheapest for Fuel. We spent a week in Germany on our way to Italy in May and filled up. We travelled back up the Rhine from Basle in July stopping off at couple of places to. On our return at the end of July we travelled from Basle to Venlo in Holland to visit the Floriade diverting into France at Mulhouse to fuel up and restock our food supply we found Bread and milk was very expensive, Vegetables not so pricey. Even Lidle and Aldi were not cheap. Germany is now feeling the Pinch with prices going Weekly. We spent a week with German Friends at Rudeshiem and even they complained about the prices

Archived