hand held vacuum cleaner

franki

Hi its Sandi here, looking to buy a hand held vacuum for our motor home. Can anyone recommend a good one please. There are so many, was going to buy the Dyson dc34 but read some of the reviews and it seems the battery doesn't last that long and then its another £40/£50 to pay. I don't mind paying if its reliable.

Thanks Sandi

An earlier forum thread on the subject

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22115&posts=13

and this was a 2010 AutoExpress review

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/36179/car-vacuum-cleaners-tested

As I've suggested previously, unless you opt for a 230V model, I believe you'd be better off going for a cleaner powered from a 12V 'dashboard' socket than a rechargeable one. I'm still perfectly happy with my old Black & Decker cleaner that continues to pick up all that one might reasonably expect it should be able to do.

The Halfords 12V cleaner mentioned in the AutoExpress test still seems to be available for £20, thoigh I note from comments that (unlike my B&D) it's necessary to hold down the "On" button while vacuuming.

We have a Black & Decker 12v. Fine for doing the MH. we use it while away on long trips. and always give van a good clean with the Dyson when we get home Our B& D has quiet a long lead, and will reach all of our van from the central 12v poinf. If you need a long lead , can always make one up as an extension lead

PJay

PJay - 2012-08-20 3:20 PM

We have a Black & Decker 12v. Fine for doing the MH. we use it while away on long trips. and always give van a good clean with the Dyson when we get home Our B& D has quiet a long lead, and will reach all of our van from the central 12v poinf. If you need a long lead , can always make one up as an extension lead

PJay

Ps forgot to say, we had a battery operated one, but due to lack of use, the battery goes flat

So my advice is go for the 12v models

I have the hand held Dyson animal, Ive only had it for a couple of months and Im happy with it, I find its a lot cleaner to empty unlike the last couple Ive had that had a cloth bag inside! which I hated emptying as you get dust clouds even when emptying inside a carrier bag :-D as that is what I resorted to after getting dust up my arms and hands, the charge is supposed to last about 10mins (which is a lot when only using it for the cab/van, if were on hookup I put it on charge after a couple of days use but in between I have a long handled flat broom for crumbs.

You might like to try this one.....

Tried to enter the link but no luck so you need to look up ffx.co.uk and search for:

DeWalt  DC515 and the battery and charger.  Total price £107 but it's a beaut.  The guys who fitted our solar panel at Malvern had one and whilst it is a bit industrial (but not heavy) it does what it is supposed to do....If it's good enough for 'trade' people who rely on their tools it's good enough for me.  The service from FFX is second to none and delivery was spot on.

It comes with three attachments though you might want to buy a brush attachment as well.

Archived