Fridge Fuse blown....DUETTO

Bulletguy

Just got ready to hit the road only to find my fridge isn't running on 12v. Been on mains the past ten days and it was perfect ok when I arrived on site.

Found a badly blown fuse which I think may be for the fridge (looks to be a 20amp), but it feels like it's 'melted' itself and with what tools I have, cannot remove it.

Can anyone confirm from the attached photo that it is the Fridge fuse? (to the extreme right)

Van is May 2000 reg A/S Duetto on Ford Transit.

http://i49.tinypic.com/33e1wkh.jpg

...I can't confirm the fuse id, but I can add some more info that may be useful if it isn't the fridge fuse.

I know from experience that Autosleepers used to (though practice may have changed) wire the fridge across the leisure battery, rather than via a separate relay-controlled feed from the alternator.

The fridge 12v circuit was energised by a realy controlled from the D+ feed on the alternator, ensuring it only worked with the engine running, but power came from the leisure battery.

Hence, if the charging circuit to the leisure battery fails (in my case, the in-line fuse blew), but the engine is running, then using the fridge on 12v will rather rapidly deplete the leisure battery, and the fridge will no longer work on 12v whilst driving.

So....there is also a possibility that the fuse that has "blown" is the charging fuse for the leisure battery, rather than the fridge fuse.

If you still have a 12v supply to other services (or you can check the leisure battery voltage) you can eleiminate this as a possibility.

Contacted a friend of mine who also owns a Duetto (though his is an earlier model), and he reckons it's a relay fuse which switches off all habitation 12v electrics when the engine is running, except the fridge which it sends 12v power to.

Just can't get the damn thing out with what tools I have and the weather here is now hitting over 40c making any kind of work unbearable. Site owner said he will come and have a look later when it's cooled down a bit.

Yes all other internal 12v electrics are working, interior lighting and pump. And the Leisure battery is fully charged, 2 month old with a 4 year warranty so no probs there!

Thanks for your input....most appreciated.

Robinhood - 2012-08-22 12:23 PM

...I can't confirm the fuse id, but I can add some more info that may be useful if it isn't the fridge fuse.

I know from experience that Autosleepers used to (though practice may have changed) wire the fridge across the leisure battery, rather than via a separate relay-controlled feed from the alternator.

The fridge 12v circuit was energised by a realy controlled from the D+ feed on the alternator, ensuring it only worked with the engine running, but power came from the leisure battery.

Hence, if the charging circuit to the leisure battery fails (in my case, the in-line fuse blew), but the engine is running, then using the fridge on 12v will rather rapidly deplete the leisure battery, and the fridge will no longer work on 12v whilst driving.

So....there is also a possibility that the fuse that has "blown" is the charging fuse for the leisure battery, rather than the fridge fuse.

If you still have a 12v supply to other services (or you can check the leisure battery voltage) you can eleiminate this as a possibility.

This makes sense since, AFAIK, most of the smaller Dometic fridges 12V elements consume around 80W, meaning a 20A fuse would be 2 x overkill. However, 20A sounds about right for the main feed for battery charging.

Those wires also look to be quite heavy gauge, much heavier then I have seen connected to fridge 12V circuits. The two relays are presumably the fridge, and charger, relays, but the (otherwise very good) pic just clips the top and bottom detail, so it is not possible to see what connects with which. From their colour, the other two fuses are of similar rating.

However, it appears the fuse carrier is a piggy-back mounting onto the connector block for the RH relay. Can you withdraw the whole assembly from the base of the relay to get better access to pull what is left of the fuse?

Hi ,
Yes it's your power supply from your leisure battery to fridge relay . Long nose pliers should be able to grip and pull it out. Yes it should only be a 20A fuse fed from a 4.0mm red wire from the relay (marked 30 on relay) to leisure battery and on to a 10mm red wire to fridge.Also check that the purple wires to the left (connection has not come loose in any way as it from the changerover relay and alternator charge relay pickup) to AES
Regards,
Brendan

Thanks guys.......just far too hot to even sit here at the moment!

I tried pulling it out but the only pliers I have aren't long enough or strong. Sounds daft but I may well make use of Safeguards Breakdown service and get a guy out to sweat over it, though everyone here has disappeared indoors!

Hi,
Ok,,,,he can bypass damaged fuse holder by cutting the said wires and re make new connections for a new 20 fuse,, thus a new fuseholder.
Make sure he uses 20 A only fuse as in Autosleepers this spur is fed from the leisure battery (4.0mm feed to leisure battery from Relay No1 12 v dc 30A changeover to the leisure)
PS Enjoy the good weather.
Regards,
Brendan

Hoping the relay isn't damaged but if so then it will get replaced.

Just called Insurance and realised i'm with Comfort....not Safeguard. The heat has gone to my head!

They are contacting someone now. Feel sorry for whoever turns up as there is no shade even for him to work in.

onecal - 2012-08-22 2:09 PM

Hi,

Sorry we could not be more of a help,,, the relay should be OK ,,,and as Brian pointed out the fuse holder is only piggy back and will pull off,,,,,enjoy your Holiday,
Regards,
Brendan

All help is welcome....and appreciated!

Glad to say the guy has just left after 'sorting it'. Not only had the fuse totally disintegrated, the terminal was caked in dust so he cleaned that first, ran a few tests, then fitted a new fuse.......bingo!

He came ready prepared though. Arrived with a low loader truck!

Lucky for me the site owner speaks Bulgarian as the truck driver spoke zilch English.....didn't expect him to either as he wasn't a young guy. My Bulgarian amounts to 'hello', 'goodnight', 'please' and 'thank you' so I wouldn't have got very far with that!

Archived