power hook up

camocam1

camocam1 - 2012-08-22 2:34 PM

As im new to motorhomes just wonder what others do when you get home, do you connect your van to your house power and leave connected till next time your away ?? At the moment we are just going away for long weekends.

Mine is left connected most of the time at home.

I don't use it much between trips, but give it a run every two or three weeks.

We also sometimes use it as a 'spare' fridge at home.

Doesn't seem to have caused any problems for me as the first set of leisure batteries lasted about eight years.

camocam1 - 2012-08-22 2:34 PM

As im new to motorhomes just wonder what others do when you get home, do you connect your van to your house power and leave connected till next time your away ?? At the moment we are just going away for long weekends.

Hi

I take the MH for a 20 mile run every two to three weeks to keep oil round engine, brake discs clean etc. this keeps the battery charged. If going away without van for more than two weeks I plug it in on a time that gives about 12 hours of charge a week?

I always have a battery master fitted to keep engine battery topped up from the leisure battery or batteries.

It also depends on what MH you have as some have greater drain than others. On some you need to take off the radio front to reduce the drain (auto trail are a prime example).

Good luck

Peter

As nick pointed out, many MH's seem to have a greater power draw when not being used than WVM's, As Eddie found out a while back, leave a Twin with alarm for more than couple of weeks and you'll be struggling to start it. It will depend on what van you have and what 'extras' have been fitted, we have a solar panel which takes care of it, but I do pop the radio front out in winter to help out.

camocam1 - 2012-08-22 9:49 PM

sorry but what is a battery master and how will I know if one is fitted or not

Link attached - i always have an alarm fitted and this comes as part of the deal.http://www.vanbitz.com/battery-master-1-p.asp

I beleive there are other versions available that do the same job. Its usually situated near the batteries and, with its lights, is easily identifiable..

It might be useful to provide details of your MH so that owners of similar models can comment.

Peter

Archived