12 Volt Laptop power adaptor

Dr Dave

Guest pelmetman

I just have a cheapo Halfords inverter and charge it as I go along B-)

Talking of laptops............do other peoples get so bleedin hot 8-) ..............my goolies are dam near roasted after a hour on the thing :-S

pelmetman - 2012-08-24 8:04 PM

Talking of laptops............do other peoples get so bleedin hot 8-) ..............my goolies are dam near roasted after a hour on the thing :-S

Well I suppose it's better than Ralgex! :-D

pelmetman - 2012-08-24 8:04 PM

Well stop sitting on it then! I know you 'talk' through your rear aperture at times, but that's just taking the biscuit! :D

Guest Peter James

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but for starters that says 8 different plugs - there are many, many more than that. Laptop manufacturers all seem to use different sockets so you have to use their power adapter. If you force a slightly different plug in you can easily damage the socket so your laptop is effectively scrap.

To make laptops slim and light, manufacturers tend to put as much of the circuitry as possible into the power adapter, so its often much more than a basic power supply like that. My Hewlett Packard power supply supplies 2 different voltages at the same (19v and 5v) through what looks like an ordinary co ax plug, but actually has separate terminals on the outside and the inside of the outer surround.

Archived