Our French Friends - God bless 'em

Vernon B

I tend to agree with that. Not sure where Vernon is heading, but it is only within what, the past decade, that sat navs have existed. Before that one had only the speed limit signs to indicate where the limits began and ended, and somehow we all seemed to manage. It is not at all the case that the French have "almost banned" sat navs, what they have done is tried to reduce the tendency, in pursuit of that Gallic spirit of independence Vernon salutes, for French drivers to tank down the road with one eye on their sat nav for warnings of Gatsos, slam on their brakes to pass the camera, and then steam off again on the other side. To me, they are just making that kind of behaviour more risky for that group of drivers, not declaring war on sat navs. Besides which, there seem to me at least as many Gatsos on "de-restricted" roads, where the un-signed national limits pertain, as in areas where lower limits have been imposed. So the question of the visibility of speed limit signs seems a bit of a digression.

Since Vernon's van is over 3,500kg MAM, elamessa's speed limits will not be correct. They apply only to "light vehicles": those with MAM less than, or equal to, 3,500kg. For vans in Vernon's category, the applicable limits are 110kph on autoroutes, 100kph on dual carriageways with central reservation, and 80kph on two lane roads, unless otherwise indicated. His van is also limited to 50kph within urban areas (between town/village limit boards) even where the stated limit is 70kph, except on the Paris peripherique, where the limit is 80kph. I somehow doubt his sat-nav realises that!

Ideally, he should carry speed limit discs on the rear of his vehicle indicating 110, 100, and 80. If he is towing a trailer, he will be further subject to 90kph, 80kph and 50kph respectively, and the trailer should carry the speed limit discs to that effect.

The vehicle is subject to general restrictions relating to its weight (bridges etc), but not where these are indicated as relating only to goods vehicles. In effect, motorhomes exceeding 3,500kg are regarded, in France, as heavy cars, and not as goods vehicles.

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-26 11:53 AM

I tend to agree with that. Not sure where Vernon is heading, but it is only within what, the past decade, that sat navs have existed. Before that one had only the speed limit signs to indicate where the limits began and ended, and somehow we all seemed to manage.

....the only bit of sympathy I have ( :-D ) is that I do find it, in the UK at least, somewhat more difficult to keep track of the prevailing speed limit.

I blame it mainly on two things:

i) the proliferation of "street furniture" - with far too many (IMO entirely superfluous) signs being added to roads, often making it difficult to distinguish or take in the really relevant ones. (Try checking how many of the signs you see on your next drive are really required). There are many more signs on the road than when I first started driving - and speed limit signs stood out.

ii) the imposition (for whatever reason) of speed limits that are below those that you would naturally "expect" for a particular stretch of road. I note an increasing tendency to reduce the limit on what would appear to be perfectly adequate stretches of road from the previous NSL to 50mph (or in some cases even 40mph). Combined with the above, it is very easy to "stray" on these stretches, particularly where one has been used to the previous limit, and/or (as is often the case) there is a distinct lack of repeater signs.

(....of course, it may simply be that, in my case, advancing years are to blame :-S )

Having said that, AFAIK France takes "le biscuit" for confusing signs. On one of my early forays there, I came across a "T" junction (it was either in Reims or Rouen, I can't remember which - and probably didn't know at the time, either ;-)).

.......it was encouragingly signposted "Toutes Directions" to the left, until we noticed it was also signposted "Autres Directions" to the right. 8-) :->

Edit to add:

....and it would appear the practice still exists (though, given the signing to the A51, this isn't the one I remember)

ToutesAutresDirections.jpg.14c1c2861f61053251dd59481fcc9cbc.jpg

Since Vernon's van is over 3,500kg MAM, elamessa's speed limits will not be correct. They apply only to "light vehicles": those with MAM less than, or equal to, 3,500kg. For vans in Vernon's category, the applicable limits are 110kph on autoroutes, 100kph on dual carriageways with central reservation, and 80kph on two lane roads, unless otherwise indicated. His van is also limited to 50kph within urban areas (between town/village limit boards) even where the stated limit is 70kph, except on the Paris peripherique, where the limit is 80kph. I somehow doubt his sat-nav realises that!

I think that and Robinhood's comments pretty much suports my case Brian.

V

Good one that! :-D I assume it means that if you are following the "E" route (white on green, presumed mainly HGV drivers) you follow Toutes Directions around what is presumably a by-pass route, whereas if you are going anywhere else you follow Autres Directions. Good these guessing games at moments of stress, aren't they!

My gem goes back to the days when direction signs were low mounted blue on cream arrows, on concrete supports, that pointed at the road to take, rather than indicating the direction to be followed. Thus, where a sign appeared to indicate a left turn, it meant "straight ahead".

In the centre of Les Andelys an ironmonger had laid out his stock of doormats by looping them over the pedestrian guard rail outside his corner shop. We did three laps of the main square looking for the road we wanted, until Carole spotted the base of the sign peeping out from under the doormats! Even then I had to stop and get out to actually read it.

At least they now make the signs point in the direction to follow, rather than just at the road! Sat nav does have some advantages! :-)

I couldnt turn the speed camera warning off on my new tomtom when we hit France early June.

I worked on the principle if I couldnt figure it out where it was how would the Gendarmes?

Didnt even know it was law in Switzerland either.

Completely forgot about the breathlyzer!

I couldnt turn the speed camera warning off on my new tomtom when we hit France early June.

I worked on the principle if I couldnt figure it out where it was how would the Gendarmes?

Vernon B - 2012-08-26 12:43 PM

I think that and Robinhood's comments pretty much suports my case Brian.

V

I dunno Vernon. :-) How does the above differ in complexity from speed limits in the UK for a van like yours that (I'd guess) has an (unstated) unladen weight exceeding 3,050kg?

Agreed, it doesn't differ that much Brian but the uk hasn't banned speed camera aware sat navs which is where this thread started. "there's a hole in my bucket dear Liza ..." comes to mind. Perhaps we should both slip out for a pint while the sun's shining.

V

Barryd999 - 2012-08-26 8:25 PM

On my new TomTom I had to uninstall the speed cameras country by country! This can only be done using MyTomTom software.

David

Just back from our french sojourne & wished I had left speed cameras active on the Sat-nav.

Travelling down from the Tunnel with time available (& being a cheap-skate) decided not to use the A16 Toll section south of Boulogne to Abbeville, prefering the D901/D1001.

Crossing a roundabout just south of Nouvion, a local flashed to indicate the Boys in Blue, tucked in beyond it.

About 400m past & he pulled out & then sat right on our rear bumper doing his utmost to remain hidden from mirror view. He remained on our bumper for least 19km. Little did he seem to realise he was so close I had full view via the reversing camera When we rejoined the A16 just north of Abbeville he decided enough & curtailed it back. Anyone knowing the road, will be aware how many times the speed limit changes.

Just back from our french sojourne & wished I had left speed cameras active on the Sat-nav.

Travelling down from the Tunnel with time available (& being a cheap-skate) decided not to use the A16 Toll section south of Boulogne to Abbeville, prefering the D901/D1001.

Crossing a roundabout just south of Nouvion, a local flashed to indicate the Boys in Blue, tucked in beyond it.

About 400m past & he pulled out & then sat right on our rear bumper doing his utmost to remain hidden from mirror view. He remained on our bumper for least 19km. Little did he seem to realise he was so close I had full view via the reversing camera When we rejoined the A16 just north of Abbeville he decided enough & curtailed it back. Anyone knowing the road, will be aware how many times the speed limit changes.

Archived