Cleaning question

Calex

I have been trying For some time to clean the white rubber type insert that is in the trim around the habitation door and the edges of the van but have been having no luck removing the black sticky residue that seems to have built up on it, can anyone suggest anything that will shift it but not damage the trim or paint work around it?

Steve

Thanks for your replies, I have tried the nearest I had to bumper cleaner, Back to Black type stuff, and it removes all but the heavier soiled areas but is very slow going, WD40 didn't touch it at all along with a number of other car cleaning / degreasing type products that I tried, never knew I had so many products stashed in the shed, looks like I will need a trip to the nearest Halfords type place to see what else I can try.

I will say that by the amount of grime on the trims I don't think it's been cleaned since new :-(

Steve

Calex, Am I right in thinking you mean the plastic insert that covers the screw heads that fix the aluminium frame work. If so then I had that problem awhile back, and mine also showed scorch marks ( from the heat of the sun ) I decided to replace the inserts with new ones, simply pull them out of the frame work and feed the new lenghs of plastic inserts back in.

I did the entire van while I was at it as no amount of cleaning would have brought the old ones up like new. The plastic insert is quite cheap, and available from any decent caravan accessory outlet, in a range of colours.

Archived