Windblocker

Caddies104

Hi All

On holiday last week and saw a windblocker that looked good and I think after checking google it's a Lillypad windblocker.

Anyone have any info on them and are they a bonus to Motorhoming as already have a drive away awning that has only been used once and will never be used again!.,

Guest pelmetman
Caddies104 - 2012-08-27 12:32 PM

Hi All

On holiday last week and saw a windblocker that looked good and I think after checking google it's a Lillypad windblocker.

Anyone have any info on them and are they a bonus to Motorhoming as already have a drive away awning that has only been used once and will never be used again!.,

We have the Windblockers and very good they are too ;-).........They can be fitted in a few minutes, and the voile's take up very little space, we keep them in a carrier bag :D...........the poles we strap to the bike rack.....

The only thing I would suggest is don't have the front made with a gap for a door, as its amazing how much draft came in through the door 8-)..........I had a new front made to my own design with the central panels not joined but overlapping ;-).........

They also helped keep the mozzies at bay when down in the Dordogne :D......

The other thing to bear in mind is they do not make the awning weather proof, rain will still get in, all be it as a fine mist;-)

We bought ours from Lillypad at the NEC. We have never used all three, just a side one and the front one on 2 separate occassions. The front one we used as a sun filter and it did the job very well, so they have 2 functions in our house.

We think they are great and wouldn't be without them.

Hi all. Have used mine all over Europe, including Greece, where it is very hot at times. They are light to carry, easy to assemble (I leave the 2 x side panels wrapped round the poles which are stored upright behind the driver's seat), keep out the flying insects, some of the wind and afford a sense of privacy and some protection of tables and chairs. It may be that they inhibit the opportunist thief by acting as a visual barrier too.

I tried my 'home made' version when on the Isle of Wight a couple of weeks ago, this was the first time we'd used them and they worked well, keeping the chill off and the flying ants. 8-)

Below is a picture of it up, as we were only trying them we hadn't pegged/secured them properly or extended the awning fully which is why they look a bit 'gathered' at the sides and as there was quite a slope on the pitch that's why they look a bit 'short'.

They pack away into a small washbag about 8" x 5" x 3" inches. For the poles across the top of the 2 sides we either use some cheap clothes props, or some expanding curtain poles. I also only put the beading on the front panel in small sections so that I can push back either end along the awning channel to create a doorway if I wanted.

1777735061_windscreens.jpg.426ce3b23f916339b84f45fdeacbadc0.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-08-27 7:36 PM

I tried my 'home made' version when on the Isle of Wight

Homemade *-).......................You cheapskate Mel :D

Mel B - 2012-08-27 7:36 PM

I tried my 'home made' version when on the Isle of Wight a couple of weeks ago, this was the first time we'd used them and they worked well, keeping the chill off and the flying ants. 8-)

Below is a picture of it up, as we were only trying them we hadn't pegged/secured them properly or extended the awning fully which is why they look a bit 'gathered' at the sides and as there was quite a slope on the pitch that's why they look a bit 'short'.

Mel

They look great I have been wondering about making some, but was not sure where to get material and how to do it, Daughter starting Uni so every penny counts......

Can you give me more information on how you made them, I like the material as well better than the block colours.

(lol) Caroline

I got the material from a car boot sale for £7 ... where else! :D I just came across it as i was pottering round so I thought I'd have a go at making the screens - it wasn't that difficult to be honest, the worst part was trying to cut the material whilst ensuring the edges were 'staight' as voile isn't the easiest stuff to work with!!!

You should be able to get hold of voile from any place that sells curtains - you do need voile as it's finer than normal net curtain material.

As you can see from the picture I sewed some 'tape' down them to give them some strength so that when the top and bottom securing loops (elastic) are put on they pull against the tape rather than the voile. Each one also has the tape all round the edges - it is folded around the edge of the voile to give it a secure hem.

If you are definitely going to make some let me know and I'll do an info sheet on what you'll need/how to do it as, by trial and error, I found the easiest way eventually! :D

Mel B - 2012-08-28 9:21 PM

If you are definitely going to make some let me know and I'll do an info sheet on what you'll need/how to do it as, by trial and error, I found the easiest way eventually! :D

Any help great fully received.

(lol)

Just to add my 2 centimes worth (we're in France at mo) we had Windblockers on sides only, and used Fiamma blocker for the front, which meant you could use more of the awning space for seating and storage. As has been said, the windblocker sides allow a fine mist in during heavy rain, but you can still sit within a couple of feet of the sides, since the bulk of the rain is deflected down. They dry very quickly, take up v. little space, and are very good to use.

Unfortunately we sold them with the last van, as they were specifically sized, and had a Outdoor Revolution Easi Canopy which we simply cut in half, to size of course, for the sides, and adapted them by fitting elastic ties etc.

We bought some cheap metal washing line props to support the sides, and found that they just fitted neatly into the slots in the awning front, and fitted ferules at the casing end. Did it the day before we left, we are now in Annecy where it heavily T stormed most of the night, and is still raining at lunch time, It all stood up fine, was reasonably waterproof given the horrendous storms, but of course they will take more drying out.

But still think the Windblockers are good, if a bit pricey if you already got an unused Easi Canopy to donate

We have had the Windblockers for 5 years & still going strong, transfered from van to van. We usually only use the front & one end panel, leavint the other end (downwind) fully open.

We are considering the side skirt (but they are made to order & van specific, so would not be able to transfer if we change again)

We usually find that when it's raining heavy to cause a problem with mist coming through, it's time to roll in the Awning anyway.

If they were to tear or get damaged, we would certainly replace with like for like.

BTW -if ordering other than at a show, Lillypads did not supply the poles for the side panels, but advised they are easily available from the likes of Wilko, etc..

We have had the Windblockers for 5 years & still going strong, transfered from van to van. We usually only use the front & one end panel, leavint the other end (downwind) fully open.

We are considering the side skirt (but they are made to order & van specific, so would not be able to transfer if we change again)

We usually find that when it's raining heavy to cause a problem with mist coming through, it's time to roll in the Awning anyway.

If they were to tear or get damaged, we would certainly replace with like for like.

BTW -if ordering other than at a show, Lillypads did not supply the poles for the side panels, but advised they are easily available from the likes of Wilko, etc..

Archived