gone ouer to the dark side

ips

Guest JudgeMental

Ha ha ha.......that's the 3rd member in a matter of weeks. Believe me you will enjoy the flexibility and ease of parking....which has come into its own this trip. Got to Croatia this morning of ferry from Italy and having a wonderful time...

We have reliable Internet for a few days....

Hi judge

its gonna take a bit of getting used to but layout is great and loads of storage partictlarily under bed. Getting wedged down another narrow lane in the lakes yesterday did it for me. I hope the less width on this one proves to be beneficial.

ips - 2012-08-27 5:46 PM

Oops we seem to have bought a new van, well done deal paid deposit get it in 2 wks.

Adria twin SF. Have some questions for you adria owners Will post them tomorow.

... I knew you wouldn't be able to resist changing .... :D

Only comment - the sink in the washroom is blooming massive ... are you planning on having another sprog to bath in it? (lol)

Where you getting it from then? :-S

Sure, everyone's changing from big battlewagons to van conversions - surely this is the path of wisdom.

What baffles me is why the same people are also changing from Fords to Fiats?

Are your memories so short, regarding Fiat's "customer service" over Juddergate? You know, the thing that wasn't a "fault" but a "characteristic???" Of course, they fixed it eventually, but only after they'd been beaten into the ground and couldn't deny it any longer!

I can think of at least 3 quality marques who do van conversions on Fords, so I'm not (for once) just banging the Horizons drum!

Hi Eddie You seem to be expert on van conversions why does everybody go for the Adria and not the Globecar which seems to make better use of the space in the van is it because there are not many dealers in the UK or what

Guest JudgeMental
tomag - 2012-08-28 7:06 AM

Hi Eddie You seem to be expert on van conversions why does everybody go for the Adria and not the Globecar which seems to make better use of the space in the van is it because there are not many dealers in the UK or what

layouts identical more or less I think in various models? dont see how globecar make better use of space...I could not sit on toilet comfortably for one thing and bed bigger and much better in adria with better more practicalfolding mechanism for load/bike carrying.

the adria finish more appealing, like a mini CB. the globecar more germanic in style and a bit old fashioned looking to my eyes. but! they are better built and insulated vans.

La Strada simply the best at a price mind you

Hi just thought the shower coming into the passage way was a good idea and if i change from my Chasson twist would go for twin bedsand they all look much the same with twin beds do you know the differance between Globecar campscout and Possie roadcruiser Eddie

Guest JudgeMental
tomag - 2012-08-28 9:48 AM

Hi just thought the shower coming into the passage way was a good idea and if i change from my Chasson twist would go for twin bedsand they all look much the same with twin beds do you know the differance between Globecar campscout and Possie roadcruiser Eddie

Ok the longer vans different with better shower arrangement using hall....but that is debatable as I have read arrangement not so successful . I manage with shower in adria ok and I'm 18 stone.

Possl globecar essentially the same vans,..look at web site for differences..if you have the money las strata way ahead of competition though.....

As far as I'm aware the Campscout and Roadcruiser are, to all intents and purposes, the same design.

I'm not sure what the marketing position is in the UK regarding the Possl brand. SMC Motorhomes distribute Globecar models, but not (I think) Possls.

GMC (Go European Motorhomes & Caravans) may have a Possl/Globecar agency (or the capability to obtain them)

http://www.goeuropean.co.uk/

and it's worth visiting their website to see the 2013 model-revisions.

Tony Jones - 2012-08-27 7:01 PM

Sure, everyone's changing from big battlewagons to van conversions - surely this is the path of wisdom.

What baffles me is why the same people are also changing from Fords to Fiats?

Are your memories so short, regarding Fiat's "customer service" over Juddergate? You know, the thing that wasn't a "fault" but a "characteristic???" Of course, they fixed it eventually, but only after they'd been beaten into the ground and couldn't deny it any longer!

I can think of at least 3 quality marques who do van conversions on Fords, so I'm not (for once) just banging the Horizons drum!

You know Tony I keep hearing derogatory remarks about Fiat :-S but we have had a Fiat (KonTiki) since 2005 and have never had any trouble at all except changing the battery!

Our new Autocruise is a Peugeot I just hope we have the same luck with this :-D fingers and everything else will be firmly crossed.

tony, you are having a laugh? Fiat indifferance vs Ford contempt over gearbox problems!

Edie, which version of Globecar shower are you refering to? Our 'shower in thr corridor' works fine, thw earlier cwrsion i'n not so sure of.

Tony, the only reason we avoided Fiat before was due to the problems they were having and the fact that we'd found Ford to be very good, however, now that the Fiat judder fiasco seems to have been sorted out (oh I do hope so! *-) ) we decided not to let it put us off. The Autocruise Accent is the ONLY van with the specific layout that we know will suit us very well - if other makers were doing it we may have considered those too but they're not, apparently the Accent is the most popular of Autocruise's van conversions so that's a good sign! :D

Also, Autocruise do their vans on both Peugeot and Fiats so we could have gone for the former if we'd realy wanted, although I appreciate they are built in the same factory, but hubby wanted the 2.3 engine (its 2.2 in the Peugeot) even though they are both 130bhp. Also, the 'second hand' van we're getting is on a Fiat anyway.

Also, Autocruise do their vans on both Peugeot and Fiats so we could have gone for the former if we'd realy wanted, although I appreciate they are built in the same factory, but hubby wanted the 2.3 engine (its 2.2 in the Peugeot) even though they are both 130bhp. Also, the 'second hand' van we're getting is on a Fiat anyway.

Hi Mel B

I don't know why your hubby wanted the 2.3 fiat engine over the Peugeot 2.2 which is the same Ford Puma engine as was in your Chausson. No cam belt to replace at 5 yrs. cheaper servicing costs!

I appreciate you don't have a choice with it being a used van and I'm sure you will be very happy with it , but if given the choice the 2.2 Ford / Peugeot engine every time.

Regards

Gavin

shaggy - 2012-08-29 8:13 AM

Hi Mel B

I don't know why your hubby wanted the 2.3 fiat engine over the Peugeot 2.2 which is the same Ford Puma engine as was in your Chausson. No cam belt to replace at 5 yrs. cheaper servicing costs!

I appreciate you don't have a choice with it being a used van and I'm sure you will be very happy with it , but if given the choice the 2.2 Ford / Peugeot engine every time.

Regards

Gavin

Hi;

isn't the issue 5 or 6 gears?

We have a 6-speed 2.3 Fiat that cruises very nicely at low revs at anywhere between 60 and 70mph.

We have a friend who has a 5-speed 2.2 Peugeot that he complains is undergeared ,(to the extent that he's thinking of changing the wheel size from 15"-16" I think; sounds drastic to me), I'm not over impressed with the number of issues with Fiats, but on balance we've not regretted our purchase.

We had a bespoke van conversion on a Ducato, mainly because there were no Peugeots or Citroens around at the time.

We had "the judder" and it was rectified (full spec) just inside warranty. Plus; it's a pleasure to drive.

Enjoy your Fiat, and your PVC

regards

alan b

snowie - 2012-08-29 9:46 AM

Hi Mel B

Regards

Gavin

Hi;

isn't the issue 5 or 6 gears?

We have a 6-speed 2.3 Fiat that cruises very nicely at low revs at anywhere between 60 and 70mph.

We have a friend who has a 5-speed 2.2 Peugeot that he complains is undergeared ,(to the extent that he's thinking of changing the wheel size from 15"-16" I think; sounds drastic to me), I'm not over impressed with the number of issues with Fiats, but on balance we've not regretted our purchase.

We had a bespoke van conversion on a Ducato, mainly because there were no Peugeots or Citroens around at the time.

We had "the judder" and it was rectified (full spec) just inside warranty. Plus; it's a pleasure to drive.

Enjoy your Fiat, and your PVC

regards

alan b

Nope, our new van is a 2.2 Peugeot six speed. I have to disagree with your friend anyway and prefered the five speed box 2.2 100bhp Fiat anyway. Six speed gearboxes on 95% of cars and vans are a gimmic anyway, another case of one maker fitting six speed and everyone else following. All you get with a six speed box, unless you have a high performance car, is more gear changes. While my new van has more power in practice the differance is very small despite newer van being a panel van.

I see Hymer/Burstner are introducing a small coachbuilt (Brevio) which appears to have the same footprint as a 6m PVC, the same layout as most rear transverse bed PVCs, a few innovations (large 'hatchback' tailgate, passenger seats that slide apart for more room when travelling) and the two most obvious advantages over a PVC - better insulation and a 'squarer' shape for more internal space at roof height.

Additionally, it looks great.

If i were thinking about downsizing this van would be on my list.

Any views?

They do not. Mel and I have both gone for UK conversions. We looked at euro built vans and none suited us, despite what you read we could see no differance in build quality, time will tell, so it was just layout. If you do not like your food much or eat out all the time then most of them are short in this area, our van has three hobs and oven and grill, microwave and decent compressor type. It aways amuses me when people say they do not need an oven then talk about buying all sorts of stuff to compensate for not having one. We did not want a fixed bed but personal preference was for a rear lounge so again a Uk van was the best choice for this. The warranty side, if needed, has always bothered me with importers coming and going all the time, the worst van we ever had was a Hymer and warrenty work on this was a nightmare. Most seem to manage ok so I guess my past experinece is still with me.

Hi Mel B

Regards

Gavin

When we were considering which van to go for, and before we knew the PX offer of another dealer, hubby had already expressed a preference for a Fiat based van, so when the deal on the Peugeot turned out to be just plain daft - they wanted £3k more for a van which was 2 months older and had 2,500 more miles on - plus that dealer was further away from us (about 2 and a half hours instead of just over an hour) it therefore made sense to go for the van we have. The only slight preference for the other one was that it was blue! :D

The 'saving' of £3k will pay for a lot of servicing and fuel. :-)

oops we seem NOT to have bought a new van..

After much discussion mrs ips and I have changed our mind and decided that we just cant live with a PVC after all. there are lots of reasons including the fact that we do like our flash just wish it was a bit narrower. We will just have to continue carefully planning our routes to ensure we dont end up down a road we wish we hadnt gone down. Anyway we have had a few stressfull routes in the last 3yrs and come out unscathed.

So its staying with the flash for now whilst we give some serious thought to what size and layout of coachbuilt would be more suitable (if any) and then hopefully Campbells of Preston will be able to source one for us.

For the record our decision not to go ahead is not based in any way on the deal or the dealer who have been VERY VERY good in all aspects and I would certainly purchase from them when we make our mind up.

rupert123 - 2012-08-29 10:36 AM

They do not. Mel and I have both gone for UK conversions. We looked at euro built vans and none suited us, despite what you read we could see no differance in build quality, time will tell, so it was just layout. If you do not like your food much or eat out all the time then most of them are short in this area, our van has three hobs and oven and grill, microwave and decent compressor type. It aways amuses me when people say they do not need an oven then talk about buying all sorts of stuff to compensate for not having one. We did not want a fixed bed but personal preference was for a rear lounge so again a Uk van was the best choice for this. The warranty side, if needed, has always bothered me with importers coming and going all the time, the worst van we ever had was a Hymer and warrenty work on this was a nightmare. Most seem to manage ok so I guess my past experinece is still with me.

We didnt say we didnt WANT AN OVEN we did but couldnt get the FIXED bed + oven in a smaller van so we plumpt for the fixed bed and now looking for something we have room for that I can russel up some reasonable meals on. :-D O.H was finding the bed making Up at night down in the morning a chore.

Archived