Dordogne and Mozzies

kelly58

I have noticed on some previous threads the mention of mozzies around the Dordogne area , we are planning to go that way next week and am a little concerned regarding the mozzies . Is there a particular area or time of year when they are at their worst ? as we do not want our trip spoilt by these bloood theiving bandits .

Guest JudgeMental
but surely they are everywhere with some areas worse then others though! lake/still water areas a breeding ground that is where they love to breed..... just arm yourself with good quality spray and bite eaze spray as well

We were down that way in June and the mozzies only came out after about 7 or 8 in the evening., when it seems, these days, most people are 'indoors' watching their favourite soaps.

As the Judge says water / lakes = mozzies. Can be a bit of a nuisance anywhere.

We used ' wipes ' which seemed quite effective.

Guest pelmetman

We were in the Dordogne in May, stayed at a lovely site at Limeuil, right next to the river and the mozzies were horrendous all day long, we'd planned on staying there for the week but left after two days. In fact as we were leaving the camp site were spraying the ground with something to try and improve things.

From there we went to another great site at Brantome again right next to the river and no mozzies! So its a bit like pot luck.

We take all the usual sprays and gels but have just purchased some Avon Skin so Soft that has been recommended, so will give this a try.

Sue

Guest JudgeMental

Dawn and dusk the dangerous times........

Italian lakes worse area this trip, Croatia seems not so bad...forgot spray last night and bitten on leg *-)

pelmetman - 2012-08-28 10:39 AM

We were in the Dordogne in May, stayed at a lovely site at Limeuil, right next to the river and the mozzies were horrendous all day long, we'd planned on staying there for the week but left after two days. In fact as we were leaving the camp site were spraying the ground with something to try and improve things.

Agree about the site and the food on offer was good value. We were there for a couple of nights in mid June this year and despite being pitched under the trees were not troubled by mini vampires. May along the Loire can be bad,

I suspect that there are many types of biting insect each adapted to the local environment and by breeding in huge numbers that hatch at the same time improve the chances of survival. Wrong time in the right place and ouch.

368764234_Limueiul2.jpg.e02131dda33b59df39f3f83e4eb12a2e.jpg

pelmetman - 2012-08-28 10:39 AM

We were in the Dordogne in May, stayed at a lovely site at Limeuil, right next to the river and the mozzies were horrendous all day long, we'd planned on staying there for the week but left after two days.

Sue

That was where we stayed, for 5 nights in June, no trouble with mozzies ( til later in evening ) but we were about as far from the river as we could get.

Guest pelmetman

Hi Val

On the advice of my Avon lady I've bought the Skin So Soft original dry oil spray. Haven't tried it yet so can't comment if it works.

Sue

fairweather camper - 2012-08-28 12:43 PM

Hi All

Just a word about Avon Skin So Soft, I bought the wash, and skin lotion, but im afraid it was no good for us, hope you have better luck.

Val

The only effective potion we have come across is Jungle Formula biting insect repellent as issued by military forces to troops as I understand. It's the only thing that keeps the other half from being eaten alive.

Gavin

shaggy - 2012-08-29 9:25 AM

fairweather camper - 2012-08-28 12:43 PM

Hi All

Just a word about Avon Skin So Soft, I bought the wash, and skin lotion, but im afraid it was no good for us, hope you have better luck.

Val

The only effective potion we have come across is Jungle Formula biting insect repellent as issued by military forces to troops as I understand. It's the only thing that keeps the other half from being eaten alive.

Gavin

Another vote here for Jungle Formula. Actually works.

And also a fly/insect killer spray can for the inside of the van before bed-time.

Guest pelmetman

Yes we use the Jungle Formula too and spray the van last thing in the evening.

However, Dave still gets bitten and has had several bites that have turned really nasty and has ended up at the Doctors.

SUE

Archived