What tv setting for satellite dish?

IVAN

Which channel do i set my TV to? In this day and age, there are that many settings....ie; DTV, SCART , HDMI, AV etc'..Any help would be appreciated. I tried today but had no idea what channel to set it to........... I have since read some literature and it says the TV must be on AV, I am going to have a go at trying to set the satellite up tomorrow. This is my first sat' dish and it was second hand, hence the total lack of knowledge.We sail to Europe on Saturday so i am keen to see what i can achieve with it. :D

ps..thanks to Art for his advice already.

First you have to identify what input on the TV the satellite receiver connects to is it a scart lead? or phono plugs if the receiver is fairly new it may be hdmi. once this is identified then will you know which input to select on the TV. its probably best to power up and connect the satellite receiver to the TV and try the inputs in turn until you get the setup screen on the TV.

Ivan,

If connected by HDMI or scart it is likely that your TV will pick that up. If not then you will have to decide how you connect the box to the TV. Scart will pick it up. HDMI will pick it up. coax will need you to go into your TV menu and choose input source which may be DTV for a digital box or something else dependant upon what your setup is. Guesing, Digital sat box connected via scart or HDMI the TV will decide. If it is a new box then you will need to set your dish to 28.2 and do a scan on Astra unless all the sats are pre set in the box. Read the instructions for the box. If sky then scart/hdmi will choose itself and you are in business when you get your dish set to Astra. If you connect your sky box via a coax lead you will have to scan your TV so it can pick up your sky input. sky must be switched on and active. Normally you would connect via scart or if you have an HD box - Hdmi lead. If you have any further queries please contact me via the messaging system.

Art

No insult taken...........i am using a Maxview reciever and have now manged to get a channel albeit american programmes. We set off on Saturday and will be in Europe heading south to the sun. I am hoping i can tune into the paralympic games..... :D

Hi - if you are getting an american channel it sounds like you are not receiving from the Astra 2 group of satellites which transmit the majority of british tv programmes including channel 4.

The satellites are at 28.2 degrees east of due south this has all the free to air channels you will need.

So check the alignment of the dish first and see if that makes the difference.

One of the major problems with mobile TV via satellite is finding the signal in many different campsite locations. You need clear line of sight to Astra, I use a simple compass to check the campsite pitch before switching on the satellite box, even auto tuning will not overcome a large tree 10 feet from the van!

If you need a guide to angles etc then have a look a this Roadpro chart on their very helpful web pages:

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/images/pdfs/Satellite%20angles%20in%20Europe%20-%20elevation,%20azimuth%20and%20skew.pdf

You get to it via their Tech Tips page: https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/tech_tips.aspx

Not sure how far south you are going but don't expect much british tv south of Barcelona without a massive dish. Again the roadpro infor gives advice on satellite 'footprint' - or where you might get a reasonable picture.

Best of luck

Archived