Aire at Gravelines

robertandjean

Just a quick up date. On this, or maybe another forum, it was reported that payment of 6€ to stay on this aire applied only to the pitches next to payment machine not those on river side. Never thought this was true now clearly it is not as word payent is now clearly marked on edge of road both sides. Aire is in our opinion still a great place to stay and well worth a fiver a night; not eveyone agrees however as two Brit vans arrived yesterday, were surprised had to paid and decided to drive on. (Said were heading for a France Passion site, nothing wrong with that, but added would not be buying anything! Clearly on a tight budget.

Also do not forget free wi-fi now at tourist office, but need to take passport for ID.

robertandjean - 2012-08-29 11:13 AMAire is in our opinion still a great place to stay and well worth a fiver a night;

I agree it is a lovely place to stay, used to stay there often, and it is not the 6 Euro per night that is the problem but you can only pay by card and the machine is unattended, in the open, and so easy for the criminals to place a dummy reader over the top and collect the cardholders details. There's no way I am ever going to stick my card in a reader which is out in the open and unattended. I now go further North to Belgium.

Losos - 2012-09-03 9:27 PM
robertandjean - 2012-08-29 11:13 AMAire is in our opinion still a great place to stay and well worth a fiver a night;

I agree it is a lovely place to stay, used to stay there often, and it is not the 6 Euro per night that is the problem but you can only pay by card and the machine is unattended, in the open, and so easy for the criminals to place a dummy reader over the top and collect the cardholders details. There's no way I am ever going to stick my card in a reader which is out in the open and unattended. I now go further North to Belgium.

I always thought you paid anyway Im sure someone collected the one time we were there, and six euro is nothing for goodness sake.But like you we arent happy using our card in these machines, the one time we did I made sure I checked my statement when we got home I was very concerned I would much rather put money in a machine or have some-one collect.

"There's no way I am ever going to stick my card in a reader which is out in the open and unattended."

I am afraid my local bank is on the high street, petrol station is unattended and in France a number of aires like Gravelines are having machines installed. Its not about where the machine is but what it looks like and if you are not happy then don't use it. I would have thought a machine in the open is more secure than my high street bank.

Have always had to enter my pin when using machine at Gravelines, so surprised at no such request; know that auto toll booths on autoroutes do not request pin. There was no charge at Gravelines prior to installation of machine, but more aires are introducing credit card charging either for parking, services or both. Have used many of these, and on auto fuel pumps, to be honest without worrying about it as lifes too short!

robertandjean - 2012-09-04 9:03 AM There was no charge at Gravelines prior to installation of machine, Have used many of these, and on auto fuel pumps, to be honest without worrying about it as lifes too short!

Yes it always used to be free, as I said in my post above I don't have a problem with paying 6 Euros, I believe they have a man go round to check everyone has paid so why not let him collect the money as well.

Whether you use a card reader in 'dodgy' location is a matter of personal choice, but I would point out that even if you are compensated for any loss due to criminal activity there is still the time wasted phoning, e-mailing, writing to the card company, it's hassle and I've reached the point in life where I don't need it and I prefer to only use my card inside a shop, inside my bank, or 'on line' with a trusted supplier (e.g. Eurotunnel) this has been my policy for several years now and has not been a problem ever 'tho I will concede I tend to carry a bit more cash on me now but dress as if I'm destitute so hopefully not ever going to be mugged!!!!!

Archived