Ferries to Spain

tonyclaire

The answer is no!

I tried to get a cheaper one via Caravan Club but unless you book a return ferry it is exactly the same price as direct.

However on calculating the run south from Dover/Calais crossing adding in diesel, 3 x aires at €10 each (taking non toll motorways) there wasn't much difference in cost. If you go via French toll roads and then factor those in it works out cheaper to go on Portsmouth Santander/Bilbao.

Just booked ourselves for 7m Van, 3m trailer & cabin for £364 in January (Fuel from Calais to Bilbao worked out at £282)

Mike

tonyclaire - 2012-09-01 11:43 AM

Hi all. Is there an alternative to Brittany ferries to get to Spain with our motorhome? If not who sail to portugal?

The answer is YES! LD Lines sail from the north-west France port of Saint-Nazaire to Gijón on the north-west coast of Spain. You need to cross the Channel then drive to Saint-Nazaire. Obviously, you can use LD to cross from the UK, or use a different service provider to get to northern France. :-)

Mike

Guest pelmetman
Mike B. - 2012-09-02 3:41 PM

(Fuel from Calais to Bilbao worked out at £282)

Mike

£282......... 8-)................I reckon a tank and a half would get me to Biarritz 130 quid, plus in winter the aires are often free ;-)

pelmetman - 2012-09-02 7:02 PM

Mike B. - 2012-09-02 3:41 PM

(Fuel from Calais to Bilbao worked out at £282)

Mike

£282......... 8-)................I reckon a tank and a half would get me to Biarritz 130 quid, plus in winter the aires are often free ;-)

My van with trailer works out £203 to Bilbao no tolls + cheapest ferry I could get £79 =£282 +aires (maybe they're free) 3 days driving, cold weather =More gas. I've made my choice-Portsmouth /Bilbao-it was just an opinion to answer the original post

Archived