Royal Islamic handshake snub ?

antony1969

Watching Paralympics last night and the medal ceremony for the discuss and I noted that the silver medalist from The Islamic Republic of Iran seemed to handshake snub Catherine , Duchess of Cambridge .

Knowing obviously how the Islamic world looks on women I wondered how it was in a tournament which strives to show we are all the same and equals that a " snub " of possibly shaking an " inferior " beings hand could be allowed .

Then again I could have read the situation wrong as usual .

donna miller - 2012-09-03 5:46 PM

It is against their beliefs for a man to have public contact with an unrelated female. Therefore he didn't really snub her, he did however, place his hands together and bow his head in a show of respect.

My understanding of the handshake issue with the opposite sex is that if the female is not of a sexual desirable age then it's OK to shake , how do you define this ? . What is desirable to some may not be to others .

In the all inclusive modern world we live in where the church of England allows the ordination of gay priest's etc the muslim world still thinks it OK to dictate which females to shake hands with . My thought's are it is more to do with the Sharia law which the Iranian's live by that treats women as third class citizens

• 1 month later...
antony1969 - 2012-09-03 7:06 PM

donna miller - 2012-09-03 5:46 PM

It is against their beliefs for a man to have public contact with an unrelated female. Therefore he didn't really snub her, he did however, place his hands together and bow his head in a show of respect.

My understanding of the handshake issue with the opposite sex is that if the female is not of a sexual desirable age then it's OK to shake , how do you define this ? . What is desirable to some may not be to others .

In the all inclusive modern world we live in where the church of England allows the ordination of gay priest's etc the muslim world still thinks it OK to dictate which females to shake hands with . My thought's are it is more to do with the Sharia law which the Iranian's live by that treats women as third class citizens

My understanding if a woman has smoething of value to a man in her hand, he will gladly shake it

Archived