whitby

trickydicky

There are new signs (temporary ones until permanent ones arrive) banning overnight stays by motorhomes. You might still be able to overnight by the marina (behind the Co-op Supermarket).

A new TRO has been passed to this affect, so Whitby is off limits basically.

Personally, I have only had the odd Winter overnight there but a lot of motorhomes use it in the busy Summer period. It is not surprising that this has happened as Whitby comes under Scarborough Council who are anti-motorhome nowadays. Its ironic because they say local traders objected to motorhomes. Now that there are less motorhomes, traders are complaining that their trade has dropped off. Consultation with several willing motorhomers was rejected by Scarborough Councillors as not necessary, so they still are not aware of the basic needs of motorhome owners. They HAVE made one Car Park available in Scarborough at £10 per night (plus daytime parking charges). The total cost would be similar to staying at one of the local sites owned by a leading Councillor.

Is it obligatory to be gormless before you can stand for Council office? *-)

Hi tricky,

we stayed in carpark at marina behind coop last year, but unfortunatley were woken by boy racers using the park and parked next to us playing music in the early hours, after two hours of them coming and going we gave in and moved.

if you don't mind the commute, there is blue bank parking, at top of hill, on road over moors to pickering, nice veiws, across to whitby, quite a few people use it.

also there is a largeish layby, if you head out for the moors road, but when you get to roundabout, go straight on for guisborough, on your left, top of a hill, this is only 10 mins drive out, stayed their ok, only woken by pigeon fanciers, liberating them at 6-7 am ! better than car radios!

snail

Guest pelmetman

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some people wildcamp at the top by the Abbey ;-)...........

Although it would mean walking back up all those steps from the town 8-)

pelmetman - 2012-09-04 12:26 PM

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some people wildcamp at the top by the Abbey ;-)...........

Although it would mean walking back up all those steps from the town 8-)

There is a 'no overnighting' sign at the Abbey. But only since a senior Council official moved there. :D

I believe a bit further away from the Abbey is a spot suitable for a small campervan but I forget the details (try Google Earth). As I said earlier, it is not my type of place at this time of year.

Archived