Is Astra 1 easier to access than Astra 2?

bolero boy

We are in the ile de re using a Camos flat sat which has been working well on the trip down. We have been here before and we know we can get a signal with a clear line of site. We are struggling as there are a lot of pines at that awkward height lol.

However, my observations here on site appear to indicate that European vans with dishes seem to have no problem homing in on Astra 1 despite all manner of intervening foliage , sometimes with relatively small dishes.

We are using our Sky+HD box from home and have even tried changing the default transpodner but no success.

When trying to access the planner, says not. available in Diskless Mode......???

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris.

Hi . We were on the ILE DE RE at the end of July, at camping Bel Air, La flotte. We only have a 40 cm dish, it would not pick up Astra 2, but would Astra 1, but it did on the mainland, so we watched the Olympic opening ceremony in German. We moved on to the mainland to Port des Barques, Astra 2 worked again and all the way back through France.

Brian B.

Thank you both for the replies.

As we have a Sky box rather than free to air, its not easy (really tricky apparently) to make the box respond to any satellite other than Astra2. Even so, I can't get any bars at all for signal strength or quality even with the finder shreiking at me.

Thanks again.

Ps, Colin - what is your avatar a picture of? I. Just can't work it out.

Rgds

Hi Brian, yes I did try the South beam just as a thought but no success. The sat finder is wired permanently in-line to the sky box and is shrieking well so the box is powering. the finder and the finder is receiving some sort of signal but I suspect not that good due to the trees.

We have a dual lnb system and I have al@o swapped the cables into the back of the box.

I do suspect the lack of line of sight and all will be fine if in the open at our next stop in a few days.

Thanks again.

We too have a camos flatsat. On board I have a Sky Javlin box also an Aldi,free to air unit which I use to tune with before transferring the leads over to the Sky box, reason being the cheapo Aldi box tells you which satellite you are hitting,which is normally Astra ! as first go.Prior to Astra 2 shutting down, the camos would pick up 1&2 on the same setting ! (I believe the flatsat is less sensitive than normal dishes)

however ,it could be me,but lately I have found Astra 2 to be harder to find.

As to receiving through trees I think this is a definite no no for any dish,. I have been on many tree lined sites, and despite no signal to our van,others with small mobile dishes seem ok cause they can move around and shoot their signal under the trees, ours is 3 metres in the air to start off with!

Now I always look on www. dishpointer.com and look where the satellite is so I can Pitch in a clear view pitch.

:-D

bolero boy - 2012-09-12 3:30 PM

Thanks Geoff. I may get a cheap free to air box sometime.

Re: the trees, some of these dishes are on van roofs but still seem to be pointing up through dense foliage.of course, they might not be getting a picture!

Thanks again.

I was in aldi today and they still had some satellite camping kits for £49. This is where I got my box, it's 12v as well. still carry the kit for occasions when the roof dish is obstructed (dish,leads,sat finder,fitting clamp) + 3 year guarantee, can't go wrong :-D

bolero boy - 2012-09-12 7:11 AM

Thank you both for the replies.

As we have a Sky box rather than free to air, its not easy (really tricky apparently) to make the box respond to any satellite other than Astra2. Even so, I can't get any bars at all for signal strength or quality even with the finder shreiking at me.

Thanks again.

Ps, Colin - what is your avatar a picture of? I. Just can't work it out.

Rgds

Yes the sky boxes are a PIA for any other sattellite

My avator is a picture talen at ITN building grey's inn rd, of a Leodardo glider we hung that we had previously built for a C4 programme.

http://www.skysportengineering.co.uk/corporate.htm

Archived