Sicily and mainland Italy

Domino

Just seen the Corsica post and as I have spent the morning looking at maps thought I'd also post an early request...

We plan to spend all of May and June in Italy, especially Sicily and Sardinia. The plan is to drive through Italy to Sicily then catch ferry if time allows to Sardinia. Any suggestions regarding camping sites and the Aree Di Sostas appreciated.

Ferries - ignoring the Dover/Calais one, any suggestions on the Italian companies/prices frequency of crossing mainland to Sicily, then Sicily to Sardinia and Sardinia to Italy. (I'm missing out Corsica for now) and is it best to book or just turn up?

Finally, I bought a lovely Eyewitness Travel book 'Back roads Italy' 24 scenic routes. Does anyone know if these are suitable for Burstner Nexxo size van. Although I've looked at maps there is nothing so good as anyone that has driven around the country roads to let me know.

Thank you

Guest JudgeMental
Italian roads deteriorate rapidly as you drive south, even in Tuscany (just returned) they are pretty poor....That is why most save the grief and most expensive fuel costs in Europe, and get ferry down from Genoa and other ports.

Guest JudgeMental
gwyn - 2012-09-12 3:53 PM

We are in Italy at the moment,check the fuel prices if you're wanting to go that far down....diesel is about 1.78 euros!!!!!!!!!

Yes most expensive in Europe apart from here I think..But you need to shop around! We were there in August and when we arrived found it at 1.55 € within 2 weeks the cheapest we found was 1.65 € and 2 weeks later when we moved on to Croatia it was 1.69 €

Croatia was £1.13 and Luxenbourg £1.05.

We saw petrol in Italy at over 2€ a litre! you need to shop around and be prepared to wait in line at the cheapest outlets.....

Guest JudgeMental
gwyn - 2012-09-17 3:13 PM

Think its generally gone up since you were here, talking to others and looking around the cheapest is 1.72 can't find it any less!!!!

Still only 5p more then here though. it did go up when we were there. although there for most of August we only filled up twice.

Over the 6 week 3000 mile tour, fuel averaged out across the 7 countries we went through a lot cheaper then here.....Love Italy and go every year! :-D

Archived