Legs for French Fixed Bed

Dave225

My van has a fixed bed at th rear where the outer half lifts up for access. The join is supported by 2 adjustable screw legs but I would like to fit a 3rd at the end for safety. Have been trying to locate such things but no luck so far. Anyone have any ideas where I could get such a thing? Have tried Reimo and various bits and pieces suppliers but I can get the bed frame but not the supporting legs. The van maker went to the wall a good few years ago so no go there.

I even thought of the legs used to support kitchen units but they are a bit too short and would need a lot of packing.

There's this on e-bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Table-Legs-Polished-Chrome-710mm-Single-Leg-/290707945587#ht_1370wt_802

Difficult to advise without knowing how long a leg you are looking for, but it looks like the e-bay product could be cut down and the foot has 25mm of adjustment.

I can understand the attraction of matching what you've got (presumably there are no identification marks on the original legs?), but - if you just want more safety - will an exact match matter as long as the leg is strong enough? In fact, unless there is something 'clever' about your motorhome's bed arrangement, DIYing an adjustable leg should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the comments. I have looked at table legs as well but they are all too long even in the shortest length. Knowing the number of fixed bed outfits outthere also with lift up portions, there must be a supplier somewhere. Yes, I could make something up, but was trying to get the proper thing if I could.

I did try to get a name of the originals but could not see anything obvious. The van was made in Belgium so the source could be anywhere, which was why I tried Reimo. The bed height is about 1 foot to 16 inches off the floor.

Dave Hi

I was given some metal tubular IKEA legs from desks which have adjustable feet. They adjust about 60-70mm by screwing out. These feet fit into a grey metal tubular leg of about 40mm dia which could be cut to any length.

The only problem would be how to fit the tubular bit to the bed?

The legs are brand new.

I can probably send some pictures if you want?

PM me with your e-mail address if you want details

Dave225 - 2012-09-12 1:00 PM

...Knowing the number of fixed bed outfits outthere also with lift up portions, there must be a supplier somewhere...

I wouldn't bet on that.

My Hobby has a 'french' bed split longitudinally with one part fixed and the other hinging up to provide access to the under-bed area. The fixed section of the frame is supported on one side and each end by being screwed to aluminium angle that, in turn, is screwed to the inner surfaces of the motorhome's body-panels and furniture. Although there is a mid-way support for the centre-join part of the frame, it's a simple piece of plywood positioned between the frame and the floor.

These Hettich-made steel legs come in a range of lengths and have an adjustment capability

http://www.softclosehinge.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100_101_103&sort=3d&page=1

Archived