truma electric conversion?

john y

Yes, the essiest way is to replace your combi4 with a combi4e and add 240v connection and new controller, if you DIY it will cost about same as 75 refills of a 13kg propane bottle. Not sure if it's possible to swap the internals of boiler only, I doubt it, but even so I think that would be not a lot cheaper, unless anyone knows better?

Realistically, it's not a practicable proposition to convert a gas-only Truma Combi into a gas/230V Combi-E. As colin says, to go from Combi to Combi-E would need replacement of the former type of appliance with the latter.

A Truma Electroboiler might be employed if just 230V water heating were required, but I'm doubtful if space could be found for it in john y's Trendscout (and there'd be a need to play about with the water system).

As has already been advised, using autogas to refill the gas bottle(s) would seem to be the logical approach.

You don't say which heater you have if it's a Combi 4000 or 6000 there is a heated jacket available for them just to heat the water cost about £250 otherwise could be a replacement heater at about £1800.

Not really worth the bother as others have said spend the money on refillable gas bottles and save even more money by not using hook ups that can amount to another few hundred quid a year saved. :D

lennyhb - 2012-09-13 10:18 AM

You don't say which heater you have if it's a Combi 4000 or 6000 there is a heated jacket available for them just to heat the water cost about £250 otherwise could be a replacement heater at about £1800.

Not really worth the bother as others have said spend the money on refillable gas bottles and save even more money by not using hook ups that can amount to another few hundred quid a year saved. :D

A 230V 450W 'heating collar' was/is available as a retro-fit for Trumatic C-Series appliances (the exception being the C-6002EH model that was gas/230V as standard). Trumatic C-Series appliances had two manufacturing periods - C-3400 and C-6000 models made from mid-1994 to mid-1997, and C-3402, C-4002 and C-6002 heaters made (in various versions) from mid-1997 onwards. Because these appliances were combination air/water heaters, they were commonly referred to as Truma 'combis'.

In mid-2007 Truma began to market a completely revised design of combination air/water heater. This new design was named "Combi" (a brilliant decision that inevitably leads to confusion). There are two gas-only "Combi" models - Combi 4 and Combi 6, two gas/230V models - Combi 4E and Combi 6E, plus a diesel-fuelled Combi D. The 230V capability of the Combi 4E and Combi 6E is similar to that used for the Trumatic C-6002EH, with a pair of heating elements integrated into the appliance's heat-exchanger. No kit is available to convert a Combi into a Combi E.

John y has a 2010 Trendscout. This had a gas-only Combi 4 as standard, though I note from Trendscout adverts that a gas/230V "E" version seems to have been an option.

Thanks all, we only use hot water for washing up so i suppose once up to temp. it dos'nt use much gas to keep it topped up.

Have just got a 12volt tv, so don't really need hook up any more, would be good to have the choice on caravan club sites.

tonyishuk - 2012-09-13 7:21 PM

I could be completely of target here but I have a feeling that Whale were offering a boiler/heater setup as a replacement for the Truma

Could be wrong.

Rgds

There's an adapter-plate available allowing various water boilers (including Truma;s "Ultrastore" boiler) to be fitted in place of a Carver Cascade boiler.

Not sure if Whale's water heater would directly replace a Truma "Ultrastore" boiler

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_41058/whale_water_heater.aspx

but it certainly would not replace a Truma combination air/water heater,

the Truma Electric collar in my Hymer failed and I had it replaced by a company called Wispaire in Romsey Hants,Truma Agents. simple job ,I had new switches and wiring  fitted at the same time as the on light in the switch had become very dim.the biggest part of the  job was dismantling and rebuilding the Wardrobe where the boiler is housed, I did this part of the job myself.

john y - 2012-09-13 10:05 PM

Thanks all, we only use hot water for washing up so i suppose once up to temp. it dos'nt use much gas to keep it topped up.

Have just got a 12volt tv, so don't really need hook up any more, would be good to have the choice on caravan club sites.

We only use our boiler if we want a shower in van. For washing up in van, we either boil a kettle or if space heating is on use the hot water produced as by product.

Guest JudgeMental
ips - 2012-09-14 2:32 PM

I never think about cost of gas, eleccy or diesel when were away ............ I'm on me jollies for heavens sake. :-D

Indeed....we now use paper plates for the takeaways if not eating out :-D

Archived