At last!!

sean.clarke

Great. I can understand your excitement.

I also agree that it is vital to go through everything carefully at the handover, checking everything works and is in order before making the final payment and leaving with the van.

Hope there are no problems and that you enjoy the van.

Best wishes

Thanks guys - I was careful when choosing the dealer, and the fact he is within 10 minutes from me should help.

I've already seen it and gave it a quick checkover, they've just fitted my extras, performed the PDI and prepared for handover which is @ 10:00am.

How long would you expect that to last? I am pretty switched on with tech so in my mind I have estimated about 2hrs - is that realistic?

Then I guess it is off to an industrial estate to practice manoeuvres.......

Hi Sean,

I guess you are collecting your new Mh from Freeborn. Handover will possibly take about 2 hours. Make sure you get full instuction on operating the built in Sat nav, as the instructions supplied are a bit sketchy.

Andrew is the after sales guy very good at his job and very friendly and informative.

Enjoy

David.

David Dwight - 2012-09-14 8:29 PM

Hi Sean,

I guess you are collecting your new Mh from Freeborn. Handover will possibly take about 2 hours. Make sure you get full instuction on operating the built in Sat nav, as the instructions supplied are a bit sketchy.

Andrew is the after sales guy very good at his job and very friendly and informative.

Enjoy

David.

Hi David,

no, Dolphin Motorhomes is our dealer.

There will be some things that you will not be able to check out during the handover e.g. when I collected mine we went through a detailed and lengthy handover and having had 3 previous Motorhomes I was quite happy with a lot of the operations of the switches etc. However, took it straight to a campsite for a weekend and discovered that the heating (Space and Water) didn't work on either Gas or Electric. Fortunately we had the Air con (dual cold/warm air) and this was sufficient to get us through. Had to take the van back to get the problem sorted, So, my advice is get away as soon as possible and try it all out ;-)

There’s an article in MMM September 2012 (pages 174-175) about handovers.

My own view – based on when I used to earn my living years ago training adults in IT – is that long-duration ‘talking’ handovers will be unproductive, particularly for novice motorcaravanners. I’d also argue that they should be largely unnecessary.

Motorhomes comprise two parts – the base vehicle and the conversion - and both parts will have a handbook relating to them. If buyers can get their hands on the handbooks well before the handover date (which should be straightforward if, as in Sean’s case, the dealership is local) the buyer can become familiar in advance with the motorhome’s basic operating functions.

Major ‘domestic’ appliances (fridge, heater, toilet) are fairly standardised – a Dometic/Thetford fridge, a Truma/Alde/Webasto/Eberspacher heater, a Dometic/Thetford toilet – and instruction manuals for these are usually downloadable on-line.

I’m not suggesting that there should be no handover, merely that lengthy handovers that are unfocused will not make best use of the buyer’s or the dealer’s time.

I agree with Derek, long talk through's merely result in information overload. Make sure they have gas plus mains electrics connected, and some water in the water tank.

Then get them to run the heater and water heater while you are there, to prove they both function on all energy sources, and demonstrate their operation. Ask them to turn on the fridge before you arrive, so that you can verify its function, at least on mains. Run some water through all taps, including the shower head, both hot and cold, and look under washroom basin and kitchen sink for drips, then just run a finger round the waste outlets, and if you can reach them the tap bases, for any signs of moisture. Get them to demonstrate the main control panel, and query any readings that you don't understand, or that seem odd. Get them to fire up the hob and any oven to prove they work. Ditto all lights.

What you need to know is that everything works, and how to turn it on and off. You can fine-tune your knowledge of how they operate later, with the aid of the manuals. Check that all documentation is present: you should get a base vehicle manual in English, ditto the converter's manual in English, and manufacturers' manuals for fridge, toilet, 12V electrical installation, and possibly 230V installations, heater/water heater, and cooker etc. Don't be too easily persuaded that any that are missing will be supplied later. Just ask them to take one from another vehicle,which they can then replace at their leisure.

If the V5C log book is available, check carefully that it relates to the vehicle you are buying, including VIN and plated weights, that it is described as a "motor caravan", and has the correct designation of PLG (private light goods), or PHG (private heavy goods). If it is not available check it as soon as it arrives. Mistakes do get made, and the sooner they are corrected, the simpler the correction will be.

Check that all extras are fitted, and look at the quality of the fitting (for example, no wood screws holding bike racks in place, through bolts only with protective caps and reinforcing plates on the inside), and that all work as they should. If a bike rack is fitted, check that no push out windows are obstructed, there are bike racks that cater for this problem: it is possible the wrong type has been used.

Make yourself a checklist of the items to check and work down it. Ask they to leave you alone for a while to nose around and satisfy yourselves, so that you can list down items that are unclear to ask them to explain. Above all, don't rush. If it takes three hours instead of two, that extra hour will save far more time later. Sorry to be the cynic, but you'll often find the dealer's attention is far more acute before he gets the cheque, than later!

Thanks guys.

Wow! Seeing it all valeted (the previous times we saw it it was all plastic wrapped), fantastic.

Handover was superb - we had the workshop supervisor totally assigned to us for as long as we needed. Van was already preprepared, so water was in, pumps were on - heater, water heater, fridge, etc. were all operated from all power options.

Even before I said award they confirmed they had double checked hose connections and heki as I had requested - although they pointed out that they did that on delivery and they personally had not experienced issues in that area.

Bit nerve wrecking when I first pulled out, but they even came out and stopped the traffic and off I went.

Did lots of running around - went to an industrial estate and got to grips with reversing, close quarters manoeuvres and 3 point turns etc. then went off to the town centre.

Spent the afternoon driving around motorways and local roads - stopping to play with gadgets etc.

And finally picked up my niece and nephew and popped down the beach for an ice cream before heading home.

Hi Sean, welcome to motorhoming!

Glad your handover was so well handled - you're a great advert for your dealer! If only all dealers realised that we talk to each other, and that a satisfied customer is worth more than any amount of conventional advertising or marketting - and so much cheaper.

So well done Dolphin!

Now it only remains for us all to wish you a fantastic first trip - where are you going and when?

Hi Tony - not sure where the first trip will be, planning now so we can go away for the weekend... somewhere local(ish) so we can concentrate on shaking things down further, but far enough away to be somewhere different (there are 2 sites within 2 miles of our house!!!).

Looking west towards the new forest, north towards Wellington Country Park or east towards Selsey....

Decisions.. decisions....

Peter, yes we covered draining and winter preparation - also they made sure I had there number for any questions - but with regards to draining, I have come from boating so know only tool well the importance of winter preparation - especially forgotten things like shower heads!!

Hi Welcome

You have brought from a good dealer there, if you are a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club, they are at Netley Abbey this weekend, (no facilities) so you could try that side of the van.

Have you thought of joining the Autotrail Owners Club (ATOC) they do good weekends all over the place as well as holidays abroad with MH have a look at their website. Also the knowledge that they have of their pride and joys is invaluable.

For a local site not far a campsite at Titchfield Abbey is ok but beware if the cost of the electric, no hard standing, the ground is fairly firm at the moment.

Let me know if you require any further information.

Best of all have fun the adventure is just begun.

:-> (lol)

Caroline - 2012-09-17 12:58 PM

Hi Welcome

You have brought from a good dealer there, if you are a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club, they are at Netley Abbey this weekend, (no facilities) so you could try that side of the van.

Hi Caroline,

thanks for the info re: C&CC, however I live on Hamble lane and could probably walk to Netley Abbey in 30 minutes so will probably look further afield.

Looking at the C&CC website now for sites that are close, but not too close.. :-D

Oh so exciting for you, and they are great dealers. We bought through them too and have been mainly happy.Trouble is there is never enough info on day to day running and overwintering, eg switches, valves, draining and especially battery maintenance during static times. We love our van, but feel we have very little back up from Dolphin on basic mobile care.

Any problems and I have found this web site to be a fount of information!!

sean.clarke - 2012-09-14 12:24 PM

Collect new (and first) MH tomorrow.... ordered since April, it has felt like an eternity!

Glad everything went well... and congrats!! I do have to say huge respect for waiting 6 months.... I have not one ounce of patience in my body, so waiting one week for our latest one was a nightmare!!!

ENJOY!! :-)

Sparkle - 2012-09-17 11:04 PM

sean.clarke - 2012-09-14 12:24 PM

Collect new (and first) MH tomorrow.... ordered since April, it has felt like an eternity!

Glad everything went well... and congrats!! I do have to say huge respect for waiting 6 months.... I have not one ounce of patience in my body, so waiting one week for our latest one was a nightmare!!!

ENJOY!! :-)

Wasn't an option I am afraid - I wanted the comformatic autobox and SWMBO had the highest priority requirement of a non standard interior 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well. had our first trip :-D

I was looking at somewhere quiet, but our grand daughter automatically "assumed" she was coming along and had everything planned.... and didn't have the heart to change that.... so, picked a family site with indoor pool etc. and off we went - not too far, about 50 miles each way.

Van drove faultlessly - got some more fuel (another tick in the experience box).

had a great time Saturday and then the rain started early hours Sunday - really rained all morning, so used this as an opportunity to check for leaks... none found.

Everything worked as expected, heating, hot water, entertainment system etc. etc.

More experience points with black and grey water disposal.

Looking where to go next.... but certainly so far so good!

Archived