Irish TV

mikejkay

mikejkay - 2012-09-14 10:17 PM

Has anybody managed to receive TV signals on an ordinary digital TV in SW Ireland?

The UK uses Mpeg2 and Southern Ireland uses Mpeg4 with their Saorview. Therefore you cannot receive their digital signal without either an Mpeg4 tv or a saorview box unfortunately.

Avtex TV's do not have Mpeg4, going to change mine.

Hi,
Yes most Avtex do work in Ireland with digital signals,(old models may not)  very surprised you do not know this, they will pick up picture and sound but no interactive services, No need to change, just re tune. Indeed the W103D will also give you teletext without the need of a Saorview box of any kind eg Finlux, Walker etc'. P.S    Saorview is free to air.
Regards,
Brendan 

onecal - 2012-09-15 12:18 PM

Hi,

Yes most Avtex do work in Ireland with digital signals,(old models may not)  very surprised you do not know this, they will pick up picture and sound but no interactive services, No need to change, just re tune. Indeed the W103D will also give you teletext without the need of a Saorview box of any kind eg Finlux, Walker etc'. P.S    Saorview is free to air.
Regards,
Brendan 

Brendan,

I beg to differ, Avtex themselves have said that their TV's will not work in the South without adding a Saorview box. Avtex TV's do not support Mpeg4, if you know different I would like to hear it as it is a hot topic at present. My two year old Avtex does not work in the South.

Please read this thread: http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/topic.php?t=1704&page=1

Mine will pick up sound but no picture.

P.S. you cannot retune a TV from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4

Regards,

Ally

Hi,
Really , I can assure you they do, in fact the W103D needs no tuning at all.Just pick your Country I have used them from Donegal to Kerry with no problems on rallies. I am surprised to hear this, as it is well known in clubs that these TV's do indeed work with excellent picture and sound quality (no interactive services) without the need for a Saorview box of any kind. 
So in answering the O.P. question, yes , even an old TV can pick up an excellent signal with the use of a top box (free to air Saorview), makes of Finlux,Walker, Triax, etc which does include text etc' throughout the SW of Ireland
Regards,
Brendan

Hi,
You are very welcome,,,,a lot of misinformation can be viewed on forums, again Ally is correct the Irish platform is different to the UK. As far as I am aware most UK  models   do not give Ireland in the country drop down list and again some of the old ones you do get the sound but No picture with them, Set top box is one of the cheap ways of solving this on almost any TV. Again back to Avtex (I have no connection with) for example the W103D will work fine without a set top box (saorview box) in Ireland, this I can assure you.
Regards,
Brendan

Dave: no problem :)

Brendan: That's good to hear, strange why Avtex themselves only told me two days ago that none of their TV's will work in Ireland! If you read the thread on MotorhomeCraic you will see I have even quoted them saying this and that they have no intention yet on changing that fact.

Ally

Hi,

They have no need to as they work fine, this is only of use for local TV such as RTE 1,RTE2 TV3 etc and may have very little value to the UK visitor coming to Ireland if the wish to get BBC,ITV etc, as most use Satellite anyway, and may have very little interest in local TV. 
I think there may be some members in the IMCC club that may have Avtex up and running, very friendly group that will show you. Or indeed you can view mine working if we meet on our travels.
Regards,
Brendan

Archived