Return Ferry ?

fairweather camper

Hi

We are going to Spain/Portugal in January, coming back end March, will it be cheaper to book a return ferry or wait until a couple of weeks before we want to return to book ferry home.

Also any good advise would be greatly appreciated, this will be our first time for longer than 3 weeks, (although not novices we have been motorhoming for about 15yrs)

Thanks Val

We are doing the same period exactly as you and pondered on the same question. However, we are going to book a return ferry as soon as CC get their act together with DFDS and come back via Dunkirk as this is the cheapest option I think. We are going out Portsmouth/Bilbao.

The reason we are booking in advance? Staysure Travel insurance won't cover us long stay without having a return ferry booked (God knows why as we have quoted the dates and they have quoted cover for the dates!) If you have travel insurance, it is worth checking that they do not require a return ferry booking to cover you. Don't know if this is the same with all companies but this was the only company who would cover us long stay with pre-existing conditions for less than £200.

Mike

The closer to your travel date the dearer it will be. Already the chunnel crossing we were looking at 3 weeks ago has increased by £7. Last summer we changed a booking two weeks prior to returning. We had to pay an additional £60 that was the increase in a like for like crossing since we originaly booked it. So the short answer is that if you book now it will be cheaper.

Mike B. - 2012-09-15 4:09 PM

We are doing the same period exactly as you and pondered on the same question. However, we are going to book a return ferry as soon as CC get their act together with DFDS and come back via Dunkirk as this is the cheapest option I think. We are going out Portsmouth/Bilbao.

The reason we are booking in advance? Staysure Travel insurance won't cover us long stay without having a return ferry booked (God knows why as we have quoted the dates and they have quoted cover for the dates!) If you have travel insurance, it is worth checking that they do not require a return ferry booking to cover you. Don't know if this is the same with all companies but this was the only company who would cover us long stay with pre-existing conditions for less than £200.

Mike

We have ravel insurance 90 day extension Over 75 extension and pre excisting medical. £ 195 through Nation wide bank.. Tried a quote from Saga £900.00

Glad I bank with Nationwide, good exchange rates also.

If you are a member of the CCC ,give them a call from whichever  return  point you decide on  and get a price for the return journey [ a day early if you can,]  that is what we do and always get a good price, I would guess that other clubs  do the same , but we use Carefree for it.

Whilst not doing a long winter stay, we have regularly done several weeks from early May then again mid August to France, and most times have taken to buying a single outward ticket, simply on the basis that this leaves us flexibility for the actual return date.

Either we can decide at teh end ofyour stay exacltly when we want to return, or if we need to come back early for any reason, then we don't lose the value of the ticket if we had paid in advance.

Yes, you may pay a few Pounds more,but we prefer the flexibility,and if you book viia CC it is simple to either go online or phone a few days in advance of the day you finally decide to return to UK.

starvin marvin - 2012-09-17 3:40 PM

Our approach is regardless of low or high season is to book a return. We find this gives us the focus to plot or return hop, we have also changed our return by paying an extra £10, sometimes for earlier, sometimes for later. Simples.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Why pay extra to change your booking? When you can book return when you know you want to go home. Does not cost more. I think you only have to book return with the clubs, but have found booking direct is often cheaper than the CC, and we like to go Fast Cat Portsmouth to Cherburgh, which the cc do not do, (as they don't take caravans)

PJay

• 1 month later...
(?) Just been told by Carefree (CCC) that all travel insurance is invalidated if a return booking is not made before leaving the UK. A quick Google search appears to show this is standard for all modes of travel. On our last winter visit to Spain we met quite a few people who never book a return crossing, perhaps EHIC and AA recovery the only cover they have? Will probably book return with Brittany Ferries and give up the flexibility.

quickweh - 2012-10-31 3:47 PM

(?) Just been told by Carefree (CCC) that all travel insurance is invalidated if a return booking is not made before leaving the UK. A quick Google search appears to show this is standard for all modes of travel. On our last winter visit to Spain we met quite a few people who never book a return crossing, perhaps EHIC and AA recovery the only cover they have? Will probably book return with Brittany Ferries and give up the flexibility.

I cannot see why an Insurance company needs the return ticket being booked, as the cover itself lasts for a given period of time, and if you do nto retunr within that date, the cover is no longer valid....that is the clients rick, I would have thought.

We have an annual Euro Travel Insurance. and as long as we do not exceed the specified no of days in eash trip, or - in some cases - a maximum total per annum, they have no interest in whether we have a return booked. In fact, the other advantage to this, is that we never even tell them when we are going to be using it anyway - so effectively can literally go the same day as we book if we wanted to! We aslo find that cost-wise, it's a lot cheaper than paying for a seperate policy each time we would want to travel.

A good point Keith, who are you insured with? I need 180 days cover and Carefree annual insurance is for 90 days maximum trip and even then they informed me the for the insurance to be valid a return ticket bust be booked, hidden away in the T&C's apparently. Will keep on looking :-S

Hi Val;Be careful.

Last time out we booked a return trip with CC and got a slight discount on direct booking price (P&O).

We came back 3 days early, tried to change booking with P&O direct, but were referred to CC.

It ended up costing us £38 more! We won't be booking through CC in future. A small discount doesn't make it worthwhile overall. We'll book direct with P&O, and maybe book two singles for the flexibility,

regards

alan b

quickweh - 2012-10-31 3:47 PM

We had same problem with Staysure-in fact they wouldn't even activate the policy without a return booking. I booked direct with DFDS using the NEC code from Mel B and got a return only for Van & Bike/trailer for £29 Calais/Dover.

Mike

To get back to the OP why not trawl the web sites for your proposed dates? I have found that for the ferries I use the return fares are just the sum of the 2 singles depending on dates chosen. Try a web booking for both return and singles and see what you come up with. I, like others book singles as our return is flexible depending on the weather. As for insurance we use a Company where the issue of return tickets does not arise.

Also if you book a single out, why not trawl while away and watch what is happening. If it starts to rise then jump in.

I think some travel insurance companies are now insisting on you booking a return crossing to show that you intend to stick to the 'rules' about the period of time away from the UK that you are covered for. The system can be 'abused' by those so minded so that they stay away longer than the cover period - what they fail to realise though is that after the maximum period of cover has passed but are still away and then have to make a claim, the insurance company can check on their outward journey date so they won't then be covered. Remember, this is a legal agreement between you and the travel insurance company and any claim outside of the rules is fraud ...

snowie - 2012-10-31 7:04 PM

Hi Val;Be careful.

Last time out we booked a return trip with CC and got a slight discount on direct booking price (P&O).

We came back 3 days early, tried to change booking with P&O direct, but were referred to CC.

It ended up costing us £38 more! We won't be booking through CC in future. A small discount doesn't make it worthwhile overall. We'll book direct with P&O, and maybe book two singles for the flexibility,

regards

alan b

I'm afraid you'd still have had to pay even if you had been able to do the change directly with P&O, albeit not pay the CC 'admin' charge which I think is now £10.

Iain Strachan - 2012-10-31 11:19 PM

Safegaurd 360 days cover, still looking at what to do but think Tunnel using Tesco points is the way.

Cheers

Iain - are you saying that Safeguard do 360 day travel insurance cover which allows you to go away for the full 360 days?

We use Tesco vouchers for Eurotunnel - the benefit of this is that there is no 'admin' charge for changing your bookings at all, the only cost would be if the time/date you are changing to is more expensive than the original one.

Mel B - 2012-10-31 11:42 PM

I'm afraid you'd still have had to pay even if you had been able to do the change directly with P&O, albeit not pay the CC 'admin' charge which I think is now £10.

Don't mind paying extra to change Mel, but this was a double hit, and we've had no confirmation of actual charges. As I say we don't think CC discount is worth the higher rebooking charge

cheers

alan b

Iain Strachan - 2012-11-01 12:35 AM

Yes Mel, Safeguard 360 days cover Europe. We have just come back after 9 weeks we only booked an out bound ticket. 10 days before we returned we booked our ferry by phone. And got a discount for being MMM subscriber.

Great

Looking at Safeguard site they only do 180 days Travel Insurance, they do 360 cover for your M/H.

http://www.safeguarduk.co.uk/insurance-quote/travel-insurance.aspx

Dave

Archived