Sat navs - TomTom Camper and ProTour

sean.clarke

Hi,

I will shortly be wanting to get a sat nav with height and weight restriction capabilities - I know the TomTom Camper has been launched, but I also stumbled upon this from HGV Solutions:

http://www.hgvsolutions.com/buy_protour.htm

Has anyone used it or is familiar with it?

It sounds like it is an upgrade to your existing TomTom (which I think is something TomTom should have done).

Can anyone share any experience?

I've been using an ordinary TomTom 730 for 6 years all over Europe and allied to a road map and a healthy dose of scepticism and common sense have never (yet) got stuck under a low bridge or in a vineyard, or a bridge less river crossing or between two houses in a narrow village - although it has been mighty tight at times!

However we have discovered some fabulous locations that we would otherwise not have found - plus I still love the feeling of never quite knowing what is round the next bend and whether it will test my ingenuity and driving ability yet again!

duetto owner - 2012-09-17 9:10 AM

only got a duetto hi top transit. in 4 years had about half a dozen occasions with bridges or narrow gaps.had to just drive at random till totmtom resets another route at times that has been a pain as it keeps wanting to send you back where you cam from.

Not if you ask it to calculate an alternative route.

Downloaded the free CoPilot last night, looks quite good - excellent features, the free version is not the truck with the weights, widths and heights or the 3D navigations, however it did have good 2D navigation and a height restriction capability.

Might be worth some more investigations.....

Tracker - 2012-09-16 9:48 AM

I've been using an ordinary TomTom 730 for 6 years all over Europe and allied to a road map and a healthy dose of scepticism and common sense have never (yet) got stuck under a low bridge or in a vineyard, or a bridge less river crossing or between two houses in a narrow village - although it has been mighty tight at times!

However we have discovered some fabulous locations that we would otherwise not have found - plus I still love the feeling of never quite knowing what is round the next bend and whether it will test my ingenuity and driving ability yet again!

Our experience is much the same as yours if one does not count the time we knocked the arial off a caravan in York many years ago. Not my fault the wife should have been more insistent when she told me the bridge was too low! Happily no damage was done and the arial quickly reattached with only the use of an Allen key borrowed from a warden.

Archived