Do you drain your waste tank as you go along?

Stuwsmith

The subject heading might be a little contentious but let me explain.

I have been a "motorhomer" for 10 years, a "camper" for 60 years and a motorcyclist for 50 years. As a motorcyclist I average around 10000 miles a years, quite a high mileage for a motorcycle. One of the many hazards I face on the road as a motorcyclist is diesel spillage, particularly in the vicinity of garages and at roundabouts.  In the last few years there has been a marked increase in the number of times I have encountered what looked like possibly diesel spillage on roundabouts. Sometimes diesel can be smelt on a motorcycle, often it can't. Invariably after encountering this "spillage", taking avoiding actions and occasionally putting myself at hazard in doing so, some distance on I encounter a motorhome spilling out waste water on to the road. On occasion I have to endure the spray of this off load before I can overtake.

It is my conclusion that many motorhomers deliberately off load their waste water as they travel along in this country. Most of my motorhoming takes place in France where unlike in this country, there is no shortage of places to empty waste water and where I have rarely noticed this problem.

I am sure no one on this forum would dream of doing doing anything so anti social. Is it the "nouveau" motorhomers created by the recent economic conditions? Or is just the couldn't care less attitude that seems to be the fashion?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am new to motorhoming and only had the van 2 months and been away for 3 weekends, have never emptied waste tank as i go along despite 2 of the sites i stayed at having NO desiganated MH disposal, used a bucket to empty, BUT BUT when I bought the MH the dealer said "if no disposal on site then just crack open the pipe as you drive as its only soapy water" !!!! it makes you wonder

NO NO NO........not whilst driving, though when we empty on campsites - using a bucket - there is invariably a small amount residual left, as the pipe to the tap to empty the tank is not connected at the VERY bottom of the tank.Howver, by the time we have left the pitch and got to the site exit, this has dissipated, and certainly empty by the time we hit the road.

I do rpefer to travel with the tap open though toventilate the waste tank!

If we have not been able to empty on site, then the tap remains firmly shut!

NO NO NO........not whilst driving, though when we empty on campsites - using a bucket - there is invariably a small amount residual left, as the pipe to the tap to empty the tank is not connected at the VERY bottom of the tank.Howver, by the time we have left the pitch and got to the site exit, this has dissipated, and certainly empty by the time we hit the road.

I do rpefer to travel with the tap open though toventilate the waste tank!

If we have not been able to empty on site, then the tap remains firmly shut!

I have been motor caravanning for over 40 years and I have NEVER drained waste water onto any road and nor will I ever.

HOWEVER - sometimes when one fills a fresh water tank to brim when leaving a site or aire the overflow can run off the first few litres as the van alters speed or direction and this can to all intents look like waste water running out and an onlooker or follower would be unable to tell.

I totally agree this is a definite NO!

Had an argument with a moron on the Caravan Club forum over this exact topic who got somewhat abusive and told me I needed to grow up.

In my opinion, filthy habit, potentially very dangerous and only done by antisocial people ie the 'couldn't care less brigade'. It is no fun riding a motorcycle and be sprayed with somebody's shower dregs as you ride along.

If anyone is interested the forum post is:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/technical/motorhomes/Emptying-wastewater-tank/rt/227043/

Mike

Elddis motorhomes leave the factory with a dribbling waste tank: there is a completely open vent of approx 20mm diameter near the top at one side - this leaks grey water on bends once the tank contents reach about half full.

It's the same 'system' as the fresh water tank which will also dump about half its contents over any reasonable length of journey.

Pathetic really for them to be sent out from the factory in this state.

I have fixed the fresh water tank with a proper vent and we now arrive at journey's end brim full.

This thread has reminded me to do the waste tank too.

bolero boy - 2012-09-17 7:29 AM

Search the forum for 'dribbling' to find the last time this was discussed. Also will reveal yat another aspect of motorhoming that completely polarises opinion.

Personally, no - don't dribble.

There have been quite a few forum slanging matches (Sorry -"discussions") about draining waste water from motorhomes. If searching the forum as bolero boy suggests proves difficult, then this 2007 thread relates directly to Stuwsmith's original posting

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9330&start=1

I'm doubtful that (as Stuwsmith suggests) "many motorhomers deliberately off load their waste water as they travel along in this country", though his first-hand experience indicates that some do. Keith T mentions leaving his motorhome's waste-water tank's outlet open while travelling (and I sometimes forget to close the tap on my Hobby's tank after emptying it) and this may cause a small amount of liquid to pour out when the motorhome is going up/down a slop or cornering. But that doesn't seem to be what Stuw is referring to. To be able to deliberately dump the full contents of a waste-water tank while driving implies an electric drain-valve operable from within the vehicle, and few motorhomes have such valves.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-09-17 11:23 AM

I'm doubtful that (as Stuwsmith suggests) "many motorhomers deliberately off load their waste water as they travel along in this country", though his first-hand experience indicates that some do. Keith T mentions leaving his motorhome's waste-water tank's outlet open while travelling (and I sometimes forget to close the tap on my Hobby's tank after emptying it) and this may cause a small amount of liquid to pour out when the motorhome is going up/down a slop or cornering. But that doesn't seem to be what Stuw is referring to. To be able to deliberately dump the full contents of a waste-water tank while driving implies an electric drain-valve operable from within the vehicle, and few motorhomes have such valves.

I have seen motorcaravan drivers leaving a site and, more particularly a show ground with partly opened water tap to allow the slow exodus of water enroute.

I have also seen some stop at the exit, get out, and on the pretext of checking something partly open a tap.

Whether they are draining out the fresh or waste tanks I am unable to tell but I sure as heck know that as you leave any show ground the gradually diminishing trail of water marks the way home.

I suggest that draining a fresh water tank on the road is equally unacceptable because only the owner knows that it is purified rain water and not grey washing up waste water.

I have spoken to a non motor caravanner at a show who thought that it might even be toilet waste and I quickly reassured him that with the cassette loo used in virtually all European and UK vans this was not possible.

But the bad image and reputation of motor caravanners persists due to the misguided actions of a minority.

Coincidentally, there is a letter about this on page 15 of the current issue (October 2012) of MMM. It's headed "Slimies" (relating to the snail-like trail of waste-water that the motorhome leaves on the road). The writer - a member of the Motor Caravanners' Club for 36 years - echoes Stuwsmith's view that 'slimy' incidences have increased as the number of motorhomes has grown.

The editorial response to the MMM letter matches my view - "...that at least part of this problem is caused when campers empty their waste tanks before leaving site, but don't close the waste valve before moving off...The simple cure...is to close the waste valve after emptying the tank."

The French 'Motorcaravanners' Charter' includes the advice that, during journeys, all drain taps/valves should be firmly closed. I would have thought this should be commonsense, but it seems from forum comments that it is not.

Steve928 - 2012-09-17 11:18 AM

Elddis motorhomes leave the factory with a dribbling waste tank: there is a completely open vent of approx 20mm diameter near the top at one side - this leaks grey water on bends once the tank contents reach about half full.

It's the same 'system' as the fresh water tank which will also dump about half its contents over any reasonable length of journey.

Pathetic really for them to be sent out from the factory in this state.

I have fixed the fresh water tank with a proper vent and we now arrive at journey's end brim full.

This thread has reminded me to do the waste tank too.

I would have thought this made sense - why travel with a full fresh water tank when you can fill up on site and the same with a full waste water tank Both my tanks hold over 100 litres and that's over 100 KG each - think of the fuelksaving (I know it's different if you are wild camping)

I had a problem with the waste tank on my van, while putting a watermaster under the outlet, the rim of the watemaster caught the edge o the spout and dislodged the pipe at the tank end - 120 litres of vile smelling slimy water emptied out from the middle of the van - i was hoping it would make the ground soggy enough to open up and swallow me up!

as for dribbling - pure laziness and that slimy foul smelling fluid has no place on a road surface.

antony1969 - 2012-09-17 7:21 PM

It depends where you are Stu . It is acceptable to empty the tanks whilst driving past " The Big Issue " sellers or at election time any Labour candidates other than that unless driving through Huddersfield it is frowned upon .

I don't know why-it would probably improve Huddersfield!! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Personally I prefer a convenient layby ;-).................but since I sorted a blocked drain tap I seem to have a bit of a dribble issue :$...................I guess its an age thing :-S

I think it's a good source of driving amusement, watching in the camera as the biker slews about as he hits the bolognese sauce and bacon fat. (lol)

Archived