Life with a panel van

rupert123

To support my assertion that we LIKE the sliding door ... yes, really, we DO ... we were at Lincoln show today and were sat having our lunch with the door wide open and the lovely fresh air and sun coming in - wonderful! This is EXACTLY what we wanted and which was one this that we missed from having a coachbuilt, as even with the door open, it still felt hemmed in.

I showed the 'bodge' as you put it as that is the only thing I could find on the web last night as I was having major problems with my '3' broadband and it took me over half an hour to find just that one link!!! I'll try to find the 'proper' item that does the job if I can and post a link - all I can remember is that it was called something like a 'stoppy' and made in Germany. However, having had a shuftie at my van, it wouldn't be very difficult to make some 'stops' of my own for the bottom 'sneck' to lock onto in various positions so that'll go on my 'to do' list.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had the SLD open most of today, to allow the sun to flood in and because we've had several visitors so we tend to sit around the open door, shut it pretty quick when the midges started coming out this evening thou.

Have been experimenting and find I can open and shut door with my little finger it's all in the technique

As a newbie to motorhoming I am very interested in this topic but find one thing puzzling. Our old Swift Sundance 590RL coach-built is approximately 6m long - although not too wide for a standard parking space, it definitely will not fit in one parking space length.

A few weeks ago I test drove a Ducato-based PVC which was great to drive. It was small PVC for a Ducato but was longer than our CB - 6.2m long. So how is it that contributers on this thread say that the advantage of a PVC is that it will fit in one parking space length?

There is one problem with the CB that the PVCs dont have - the overhang at the back is 2m and thus the swing is formidable. So when trying to drive forward out of a parking space with cars parked either side, I find that I cannot turn until my rear is out of the space. So if the distance between the rows of parked cars is less than 7m then I cant get out!

Well they might be but most people on this thread appear to recommend 6m vans, including Judge who says how much easier his Adria Twin was to park straight off the ferry.

Maybe people are comparing PVCs with 7m motorhomes? In which case perhaps they should consider 6m motorhomes? Ours has so much storage we have empty cupboards!

DavyS - 2012-09-23 12:19 PM

Well they might be but most people on this thread appear to recommend 6m vans, including Judge who says how much easier his Adria Twin was to park straight off the ferry.

Maybe people are comparing PVCs with 7m motorhomes? In which case perhaps they should consider 6m motorhomes? Ours has so much storage we have empty cupboards!

Eddies and my pvc can be used as dual purpose and proboly have much more storage than your cb, laat weekend I went to chester to pick up a 150kg stove on a pallet, not seen any cb's that can do this, aa I saw all sorts of van allsorts of usage, as an old vw owner I can't emphasise this enough.

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2012-09-22 1:27 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-09-21 6:52 PM

maggyd - 2012-09-21 6:31 PM

Now thats lovely :-D what more could you want?

Bless you my darling.......My problem is which wife to bring! now that we have downsized......Mother of my heirs (pictured) or the younger ones. Decisions.... decisions.... *-)

H our fly screen works well enough, and even better ones available now

You might just get a slap for that >:-) your wife is beautiful you should be counting your blessings.

Now about the fly screen that is something I had been worriting about :-D who stocks these?

Just for you...You can order from UK agents but they charge the same price in £ as quoted euro price. which is a rip! Order from German agent and pay postage....I got mine with van

http://www.reimo.com/en/D-accessories/DU-windows_accessories/DUS-insect_nets_for_vans/

there are better frame door type ones now but dont know where to get them....

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2012-09-22 9:23 AM

JudgeMental - 2012-09-21 7:35 PM

OK lesson 3 of the day :-D

Our door has a stop half way, does yours? this allows fully open or slightly less then half.

When closing: right hand on handle and left flat on panel further a long. Pull with right and press with left, gently no need to go mad (like Mrs M:-S)

Well jell H (cockney for envious) All we can have is 3 trips max 6 weeks (health insurance) then the odd week/weekend and trip abroad at Christmas.Taking family to India this year for my 60th :-D

I to will now be restricted to the amount of time on one trip. It is going to be a little tedious driving from North Wales to Dover several times a year but has to be done.

Just drove back to London from the Wales and it is a tedious run (son at Swansea Uni) Especially when it tends to rain heavily all the way back every time I go! We stayed the night with friends who live on the Gower, and over dinner they where saying what a pain it is driving to Dover. We are spoilt as only 1.5 hrs from tunnel..

what's the alternative? Portsmouth I guess and a heavy price....

Guest JudgeMental

Its not only that, its all the problems associated with CB that I am happy to avoid..

Fiat are either 5.5 / 6 / 6.36

with my 6 you still have to be careful where you park and try and find best spot. And to the person that said what about damage.. isn't this always a risk whatever and wherever you park? I just find the narrower vehicle far more convenient.

JudgeMental - 2012-09-23 1:50 PM

Bless you my darling.......My problem is which wife to bring! now that we have downsized......Mother of my heirs (pictured) or the younger ones. Decisions.... decisions.... *-)

You might just get a slap for that >:-) your wife is beautiful you should be counting your blessings.

Now about the fly screen that is something I had been worriting about :-D who stocks these?

Just for you...You can order from UK agents but they charge the same price in £ as quoted euro price. which is a rip! Order from German agent and pay postage....I got mine with van

http://www.reimo.com/en/D-accessories/DU-windows_accessories/DUS-insect_nets_for_vans/

Thanks JM ive bookmarked page they are a bit pricey though! Im wondering how well those Mel found on Ebay would work after a couple of alterations length wise, I have something similar I put on my back door.

Do you have a camera on the back JM ? this one we have on order has parking censors, but in our CB I go to the back and direct (lol) WELL I help !! with the reversing but I wont be able to with this one unless I jump on the bed quickly 8-) BIT OF A BOVER THAT :$

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2012-09-23 3:28 PM

Thanks JM ive bookmarked page they are a bit pricey though! Im wondering how well those Mel found on Ebay would work after a couple of alterations length wise, I have something similar I put on my back door.

You think? thats £107 + post. really a life saver as we left door open in the 40+ temps (we have a safe)

Mine just has parking sensors (standard). you could just stand at edge of bed and look out I guess...Mrs M gets out for awkward reversing, Saying that still managed to damage bike rack a likle bit this trip *-)

5.98 metres is considered to be a 6 metre van.

We bought a panel van conversion last year having previously had 3 coachbuilts. The narrower vehicle is a benefit to us as we can go places we would have not taken the coachbuilt vans. Don't forget a panel van tends to be a lot narrower than a coachbuilt at roof height, so overhanging trees, roadside 'furniture' and road camber are less of a problem. the awning being roof mounted does not stick out sideways. I would say however the longer wheelbase of the 6m Boxer van we have makes it more difficult to turn in a tight spot than our last FWD Transit based coachbuilt van but at least it doesn't have a huge tail overhang.

Most X250 panel vans also have plastic 'bump' strips along the side too which should reduce the risk of car parking 'dings'.

An interesting thread, this.

We've just ordered a Murvi morocco and have to wait till April for it.  that's fine as we planned it this way.  We did lots of research on PVC's, mostly at Peterborough.  Couldn't find anything we liked more and they are only 35 miles away.  An inheritance is paying for it - we know we are lucky!

Guest JudgeMental
Do you really expect to see a good selection of what is available as at "show" like Peterborough. The Murvi worries me, the payload poor for a 6 metre panel van, and previous threads about the bad weight distribution and overloaded axles would concern me. Hope they have addressed this, but the lack of payload makes me wonder, so maybe worth checking this out before parting with monies....I wish you well and we dont miss the Euramobil one bit.

JudgeMental - 2012-09-23 3:56 PM

You think? thats £107 + post. really a life saver as we left door open in the 40+ temps (we have a safe)

Mine just has parking sensors (standard). you could just stand at edge of bed and look out I guess...Mrs M gets out for awkward reversing, Saying that still managed to damage bike rack a likle bit this trip *-)

Thats what John has said :-D "you,ll have to get out and watch the back!! Ive a better idea!! guess what ?

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2012-09-23 8:27 PM

Thats what John has said :-D "you,ll have to get out and watch the back!! Ive a better idea!! guess what ?

OH...Come on then...Educate a mere male of the species :D

How much for those door nets!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) All this talk about 'rip off Britain' more like 'rip of Reimo'!!!!

I need to set up a business making them here if that's what people pay! :->

I'll have to see what I can do for my van this week whilst I've got my sewing machine out (to make the seat covers) - hubby's working all week helping with registration of students at the Uni, so I'll have a peaceful week! :D

Judge ... Maggy's on about a rear camera ... we're going to put one on ours as we had one on our previous van and although there's some through vision and reversing bleepers, you can't beat being able to see what's back there - as ours won't be 'hard wired' in either, we'll be able to use it on the move as a rear view camera as well as for reversing.

Hubby now has another version which I've mentioned before:

reversing camera system

He's going to try this and see how he gets on with it as it also comes with sat nav and other bits and pieces built in. We met a chap on holiday in France who had it and said it was very, very good. Hubby has been playing with it 'off' camper and he's very impressed - we'll temporarily install it into the camper and once we've done a bit of testing I'll report back on how it performs.

Once we're happy with it, I'll permanently mount the camera underneath the high level brake light by attaching it to the actual casing and running the wires/cables into the casing itself and through the hole where the existing brake light cable goes - that way it won't affect the water ingress warranty as I won't be drilling any holes in the bodywork. Hubby will then connect it up to the battery with an in-line fuse and switch (so we can turn it off easily when not using it). As it's wireless he won't then have to run cables/wires to the front (one of the reasons he wanted it).

broc - 2012-09-23 4:03 PM

I would say however the longer wheelbase of the 6m Boxer van we have makes it more difficult to turn in a tight spot than our last FWD Transit based coachbuilt van but at least it doesn't have a huge tail overhang.

The tight turning circle of a short wheel base CB can be a mixed blessing. The chap we bought it from managed to park our CB right up against his garden wall. Then found that he could not get out again because of the rear swing - so had to take the wall down to demonstrate the CB to us!

REIMO flyscreens from a prospective purchaser. Do these screens fold away neatly when not required or are they something you are likely to trip over when entering and/or leaving the van?

On the face of it they look neat when in use but my concern would be that the whole arrangement gets fouled up in the sliding door.

JudgeMental - 2012-09-23 8:33 PM

maggyd - 2012-09-23 8:27 PM

OH...Come on then...Educate a mere male of the species :D

HE can do that :-D nothing profound. (lol)

Mel B - 2012-09-23 11:37 PM

How much for those door nets!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) All this talk about 'rip off Britain' more like 'rip of Reimo'!!!!

I need to set up a business making them here if that's what people pay! :->

I'll have to see what I can do for my van this week whilst I've got my sewing machine out (to make the seat covers) - hubby's working all week helping with registration of students at the Uni, so I'll have a peaceful week! :D

I found this Mel for possible supplier

http://www.flyscreenqueen.co.uk/flyscreen-material/special-offers.html

I think it should be possible to make them (lol) just put instructions on when you do yours >:-)

stick on velcro should come into its own here I would think!!

Do you think JM might show us his?? to copy!!

Archived